Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 08:47 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Actually I said Georgia Tech.I think you are confusing it with Emory U.Houston does not even have a highly ranked engineering school like Tech.Only some ranked programs at Rice.You know Georgia Tech is consistently ranked within a notch or two of the likes of MIT?
Atlanta is home to the WORLD'S largest airline,Delta,and also is the home of AirTran.As I provided in the link earlier.Houston is ports ranked lower unless i found the wrong link.if so please provide a link.
Oh my bad. I guess I did confuse Georgia Tech with Emory.

But anyway, my whole point was being a major research that research is more then just topnotch universities. As far as education, yes Atlanta wins by a margin, but as for over all research, it's Houston by far. And as for UH, I don't know much about UH's engineering program, but I do know that they have top notch architecture program (not nearly as good as Rice's but still good) as well as several very good science research program. The university is also receiving a large amount city, state, and alumni funding in order achieve it's goal of being tier one school. Supposedly it's going to reach the status of tier one by November but we'll see. Rice is also has a very highly ranked engineering as well.

Sense you don't live in a major port city, I'm going to explain to how Savanna and Charleston could possibly be could be ranked above Houston as well as many ports in the northeast. If You notice the two largest ports on you list are both located in the LA metro area if I'm no mistaken? Every large city has several different major ports in it's metropolitan area. Here's a link to show you what I'm talking about:

List of ports in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know it's wikipedia and I know the data is from 2004, but I think it still proves my point. Houston (2), Texas City (9), Freeport (23), and Galveston (62). I understand the argument of Savanna being a some what of a port town for Atlanta an the rest of Georgia, but Beaumont (4), Port Arther (29), Victoria, Matogorda, and Corpus Christ (arguably) can be considered port cities for Houston. Houston is the nations nations third biggest port city hands down. Savanna (which isn't even apart of Atlanta) doesn't even come close to Houston as a major port city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
If its that easy to diminish the importance of houstons contribution of energy then atl has no hope
that made me laugh

Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Miami more diverse than Houston? LOL

Having a large number of Mexicans still doesn't mean we aren't diverse. Especially when the majority of Atlanta's population is made up of whites and blacks.
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any resent statistics on Houston's demographics?

Old 10-05-2009, 10:05 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Miami more diverse than Houston? LOL

Having a large number of Mexicans still doesn't mean we aren't diverse. Especially when the majority of Atlanta's population is made up of whites and blacks.
ANd the majority is not White in Houston?Diversity is not just about RACE anyway.

Last edited by afonega1; 10-05-2009 at 10:41 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Oh my bad. I guess I did confuse Georgia Tech with Emory.

But anyway, my whole point was being a major research that research is more then just topnotch universities. As far as education, yes Atlanta wins by a margin, but as for over all research, it's Houston by far. And as for UH, I don't know much about UH's engineering program, but I do know that they have top notch architecture program (not nearly as good as Rice's but still good) as well as several very good science research program. The university is also receiving a large amount city, state, and alumni funding in order achieve it's goal of being tier one school. Supposedly it's going to reach the status of tier one by November but we'll see. Rice is also has a very highly ranked engineering as well.

Sense you don't live in a major port city, I'm going to explain to how Savanna and Charleston could possibly be could be ranked above Houston as well as many ports in the northeast. If You notice the two largest ports on you list are both located in the LA metro area if I'm no mistaken? Every large city has several different major ports in it's metropolitan area. Here's a link to show you what I'm talking about:

List of ports in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know it's wikipedia and I know the data is from 2004, but I think it still proves my point. Houston (2), Texas City (9), Freeport (23), and Galveston (62). I understand the argument of Savanna being a some what of a port town for Atlanta an the rest of Georgia, but Beaumont (4), Port Arther (29), Victoria, Matogorda, and Corpus Christ (arguably) can be considered port cities for Houston. Houston is the nations nations third biggest port city hands down. Savanna (which isn't even apart of Atlanta) doesn't even come close to Houston as a major port city.
Georgia also has the port of Brunswick as well,but it does not matter.Its fair that Houston has a huge port .I only brought that up to make you realize what I said about logistics.Even though the port of Savannah and Brunswick are not in the city.The Airport benefits from those large container ports.Savannah and Brunswick have risen so fast because they have spent millions (and more to come)dredging the Savannah River to handle the biggest boats.Thats why those reports are dated att the rate of these ports growth has been higher than anywhere in the country.Why do you think cargo in Atlanta(Airport) has increased so much?In 2004 it had the largest increase in cargo shipments after Anchorage Al,and it ranks 10th behind NYC,Chicago and Miami to name the largest cities.

In fact,many companies(particulararly automotive) are setting up international headquarters,expanding current facilities or a creating a presence in Atlanta because of Savannah/Brunswick.

Read this on the role of the ports and Atlanta.Then click on the airport info.
All about Logistics and Atlanta rank.
Atlanta Logistics Innovation Council

Old 10-05-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
that made me laugh
I did not say that it did.You WISH me to say that.Im saying when Houston was hit hard during the oil crisis in the 70's.It took LONGER for Houston to bounce back than a lot of other cities.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:44 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any resent statistics on Houston's demographics?
These are from 2006:

Quote:
Residents born in the Western Hemisphere south of the U.S.-Mexico border account for
70.9 percent of the Houston MSA’s foreign-born population. Mexico alone accounts for
nearly half of all foreign-born Houston residents (586,000; derived by applying 2006 ACS
ratios to the Census Bureau’s official population estimate for July 1, 2006). El Salvador was
the birthplace of the next largest of this group (93,000), followed by Honduras (43,000),
Guatemala (28,000) and Colombia (24,000).
Quote:
More than one in five foreign-born Houstonians — an estimated 254,000 persons — were
born in Asia. Asian nations that are the birthplaces of the largest numbers of Houstonians
are Vietnam (61,000), India (50,000), China (43,000), Philippines (30,000), Pakistan
(18,000), Korea (8,000) and Iran (7,000).

Old 10-05-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
ANd the majority is not White in Houston?Diversity is not just about RACE anyway.
Outside of that; Houston is still more diverse. Race is just one thing.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I did not say that it did.You WISH me to say that.Im saying when Houston was hit hard during the oil crisis in the 70's.It took LONGER for Houston to bounce back than a lot of other cities.
Houston is already diversifying it's economy. It's still king of oil, but its biggest employer is TMC. Read and learn something:

World Energy Cities Partnership (http://www.energycities.org/houston.asp - broken link)

Old 10-05-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Your posts are very hard to read. While you have good points, I get a splitting headache and the "urge to kill small, fluffy animals" reading posts like yours. Please work on the format. Thanks.
Log off and never log back on again. Actually contribute something to the thread instead of critiquing everyone's writing style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City