Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 11:39 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times

Advertisements

It's also not that easy to die from the cold, lol. It's pretty easy to step inside a building away from the cold. An alligator could come out of nowhere when you're doing something leisurely outside.

The alligator almost went after the golfers at my parents' lake. They didn't know it was in there. I say that's a lot more risky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 11:40 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
And oh yeah, in Florida you can die from the opposite extreme--heat. So combine that with alligators and heat, not very nice.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:04 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I'd rather be brutally cold than play tug of war over my arm with an alligator.

Those stats are probably all over the world. Americans traveling outside the country to colder climates. It doesn't say WHERE they were when they died, so I have a hard to believing that article.
Screw the alligators, I'm more worried about the raccoons in New York State:
Rabies History in New York State

There are dangerous animals everywhere, Rachael. Plus, the Adirondacks have bears, big scary bears with big scary fangs. I'm really wondering where all this alligator talk is going. Are you prepared to chase this bunny all the way down the hole, Rachael? You've gotten off on some wild tangent and taken everyone with you. Stop talking about alligators as if they were some kind of horrendous beast with pent-up aggression towards people. This whole thread has become an absolute expression of inanity.

And rachael, all this talk you give about New Yorkers being tough... Are you really frightened of some overgrown lizards?

Old 04-30-2009, 12:18 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,688,474 times
-More pets get killed outside in FL than in NY state because of Heat and predators.
-And what about the numerous cases of Florida kids and babies locked in cars that rise up to 135 degrees and die
-Too long outside in the heat can cause Heat Stroke or cause you to dehydrate
And what about the mosquitoes.. ugh.. and all the other bugs that go along with it.. The whole state is Hot, sticky, flat and bug infested

While in NY state you can choose the kind of seasons and landscape you want
Like the Albany area where it snows about 17 inches in February
Or the Syracuse area where it snows about 30 inches in February
Or just choose the Newburgh area where it snows about 8 inches in February

Or do you want to live near the Lake regions or in the Catskill mountains.

There's just more diversity in NY overall.. that's why it won my vote.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:32 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,751,109 times
Quote:
It's also not that easy to die from the cold, lol. It's pretty easy to step inside a building away from the cold. An alligator could come out of nowhere when you're doing something leisurely outside.

The alligator almost went after the golfers at my parents' lake. They didn't know it was in there. I say that's a lot more risky.
Im having to much fun arguing this with you. Its getting easier and easier. Its easy to stay away from alligators in FL because they live in water if you didnt know. Its not like they wonder far from it either. Just stay away from the water and you wont have a problem. But the Cold on the other hand, when it comes, its everywhere. And what if your heater breaks, or power get shut off ?!?!

Old 04-30-2009, 12:32 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
There are alligator deaths often where my parents live in SWFL. They had an alligator in the lake in their backyard for a few days. They didn't keep our cats outside on the lanai just in case.

Stop telling people what's not true. People DO get killed by alligators. Whenever my dad and I are driving around, he shows me certain sections of the town where people recently died from them.
OK, gotta step off my NY-defending soapbox and put in a word for FL here. I lived in Miami while growing up and never once did we see an alligator in our neighborhood. I am not surprised about your story though, because you said your dad lives on a lake. Alligators are drawn to any body of water, and the artificial "lakes" and canals that dot suburbia in South FL are full of them. People whose property abut these are much more likely to see alligators on their property. Yes, they will go after cats, small dogs and small children, but they don't stalk the neighborhoods looking for such prey. If you want to live in S. FL but don't want alligators on your property, just don't buy on a body of water.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
-More pets get killed outside in FL than in NY state because of Heat and predators.
-And what about the numerous cases of Florida kids and babies locked in cars that rise up to 135 degrees and die
-Too long outside in the heat can cause Heat Stroke or cause you to dehydrate
And what about the mosquitoes.. ugh.. and all the other bugs that go along with it.. The whole state is Hot, sticky, flat and bug infested

While in NY state you can choose the kind of seasons and landscape you want
Like the Albany area where it snows about 17 inches in February
Or the Syracuse area where it snows about 30 inches in February
Or just choose the Newburgh area where it snows about 8 inches in February

Or do you want to live near the Lake regions or in the Catskill mountains.

There's just more diversity in NY overall.. that's why it won my vote.
Now have you been to the whole state of FL? Most of these are problems faced in rural south FL, but where I live, there is no bug, or predetor problem. Kids getting locked in cars is a national thing, and Forida has different landscapes, same as New York. Temperate pine forests mixed with large live oaks in the North, and a Tropical landscape in the South. and Central FL is where they mix. Not all of Florida is swamp, or southern of redneck. Its a diverse state, with transplants from all over, including foreign countries. Each city is unique and each region is unique and thats why Florida gets my vote.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:45 PM

686 posts, read 1,699,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Im having to much fun arguing this with you. Its getting easier and easier. Its easy to stay away from alligators in FL because they live in water if you didnt know. Its not like they wonder far from it either. Just stay away from the water and you wont have a problem. But the Cold on the other hand, when it comes, its everywhere. And what if your heater breaks, or power get shut off ?!?!

lol, very true.

It's also not that simple just to step into a building to escape the cold,what if your hiking in the adirondack and/or catskill mountains where theres no buildings for miles around.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:00 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,030,437 times
FL all the way...everything from Pensacola to Orlando to Miami...

Old 04-30-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
lol, very true.

It's also not that simple just to step into a building to escape the cold,what if your hiking in the adirondack and/or catskill mountains where theres no buildings for miles around.
Thats why I watch man vs wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City