Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City?
Seattle 72 58.06%
Los Angeles 52 41.94%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:21 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I lived in Los Angeles, and I chose Los Angeles in this poll. However, I can see why many others would choose Seattle instead. Los Angeles is a fantastic city--Seattle is as well. They're just great in very different ways, and it's perfectly understandable to me that people here would choose Seattle over Los Angeles.

Just out of curiosity, who of the people arguing here have been to, or even better, lived, in both cities?
I lived in BOTH cities. I live in Seattle now. I love both. LA is bigger but imo bigger isn't always better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 07:31 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
How is this 50/50? And my vote tied it up (for now)??? That means that Seattle was ahead by one - ridiculous.

Seattle is a very great city. But comparing it to L.A.?? Come on, Los Angeles is a world class city. You can fit more than 10 Seattles into L.A. It is a farce that it's even close, let alone that Seattle would be ahead.
Saying that it is a farce that people have different likes and dislikes is beyond absurd.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:39 PM

318 posts, read 950,349 times
I live in Seattle, and about half my extended family either came from LA or still live there, so I have strong ties with Los Angeles. In fact, I have said that the job market would suit me well in Southern California if it wasn't doing anything for me in Seattle. That being said, I want to direct two points to two other posters.

BergenCountyJohnny, that is possibly the worst logic I have seen. "You can fit mroe than 10 Seattles into L.A." So, I guess you're saying that Los Angeles is better by default since it is larger. According to that logic, Detroit is better than Portland and Newark is better than Spokane. Please.

Kerrtown, you are unbelievable. "I bet it's just the Space Needle." You just proved that you've never been here before and know nothing about Seattle outside of what you see in the pictures.

That being said, whoever said that comparing the two is like Apples and Oranges is spot on. Even if Seattle was as large as LA, they would still be vastly different. LA does have more to offer, but Seattle is much more organically recreational.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:52 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
I agree completely on the size thing. And of course, people can prefer apples to oranges or vice versa. What's organically recreational mean?

Old 06-18-2009, 04:48 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom View Post
I live in Seattle, and about half my extended family either came from LA or still live there, so I have strong ties with Los Angeles. In fact, I have said that the job market would suit me well in Southern California if it wasn't doing anything for me in Seattle. That being said, I want to direct two points to two other posters.

BergenCountyJohnny, that is possibly the worst logic I have seen. "You can fit mroe than 10 Seattles into L.A." So, I guess you're saying that Los Angeles is better by default since it is larger. According to that logic, Detroit is better than Portland and Newark is better than Spokane. Please.

Kerrtown, you are unbelievable. "I bet it's just the Space Needle." You just proved that you've never been here before and know nothing about Seattle outside of what you see in the pictures.

That being said, whoever said that comparing the two is like Apples and Oranges is spot on. Even if Seattle was as large as LA, they would still be vastly different. LA does have more to offer, but Seattle is much more organically recreational.
My point is that L.A., being a much bigger city, is not a good one to compare to Seattle due to their size difference. I agree that it is comparing apples to oranges. Literally, in fact, considering how CA is known for their oranges and WA is known for their delicious apples (which I would buy fresh from the farms in the Cascades, like in Merritt, when I used to work in Seattle).

I think it's a bad comparison. L.A., like NYC, can't really be compared to anything else, it's too big and unique. Seattle can be compared to cities like Portland, Boston, San Francisco, Vancouver, maybe even Philly. But Seattle vs. L.A. doesn't really work.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:50 PM

318 posts, read 950,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I agree completely on the size thing. And of course, people can prefer apples to oranges or vice versa. What's organically recreational mean?
For me, that means I can drive 15 minutes from Seattle to an area past Issaquah, hike Rattlesnake Ridge and enjoy a breathtaking mountain landscape view. Or I can rent out a kayak or canoe and go boating along Lake Washington and Portage Bay. Or I can drive 30-45 minutes East to go skiing.

In Los Angeles, I would not go far to find a club. Several major theme parks exist within LA and the Inland Empire, and there's an armful of tourist venues.

This isn't black and white, obviously, but LA prides itself on being a center of the Entertainment Industry and the culture shows that. Here in Seattle, you have primarily three groups of people: the young, intellectual, educated class, the older natives who are retired and enjoying the great outdoors, and the immigrants who are just making their living here. Seattle culture is a lot of things, but its recreation is much more outdoor based.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 PM

233 posts, read 752,311 times
Quote:
For me, that means I can drive 15 minutes from Seattle to an area past Issaquah, hike Rattlesnake Ridge and enjoy a breathtaking mountain landscape view. Or I can rent out a kayak or canoe and go boating along Lake Washington and Portage Bay. Or I can drive 30-45 minutes East to go skiing.

In Los Angeles, I would not go far to find a club. Several major theme parks exist within LA and the Inland Empire, and there's an armful of tourist venues.

This isn't black and white, obviously, but LA prides itself on being a center of the Entertainment Industry and the culture shows that. Here in Seattle, you have primarily three groups of people: the young, intellectual, educated class, the older natives who are retired and enjoying the great outdoors, and the immigrants who are just making their living here. Seattle culture is a lot of things, but its recreation is much more outdoor based.
Could'nt agree with you more. Great post!

Old 06-19-2009, 09:24 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
You need something else (in the urban area) to attract me there. I won't waste my time to come all the way from Houston without having an idea about non-crappy things to do there. Your city isn't that well known unlike Los Angeles. I don't have the foggiest idea about the attractions.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:48 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
You need something else (in the urban area) to attract me there. I won't waste my time to come all the way from Houston without having an idea about non-crappy things to do there. Your city isn't that well known unlike Los Angeles. I don't have the foggiest idea about the attractions.
It's not our fault that you are ignorant. Take the time to educate yourself.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:11 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
It's not our fault that you are ignorant. Take the time to educate yourself.
Start telling about your city instead of bashing me and Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City