Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:21 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
You are the first person on here to ever come up with that Chicago-Memphis Detroit in both Chicago and Memphis criteria. My thinking is pretty clear-cut, how you came to that conclusion is absolutely beyond me. Chicago and Detroit are both Midwestern cities. Memphis is a Southern city. The only thing that connects those three cities is the Great Migration, in which places like those two and other Midwestern cities like St. Louis and Kansas City benefited from blues and barbecue brought up from those places. Only Northwest Georgia, extreme Northern Alabama, and Northwestern South Carolina have terrain similar to Tennessee's. The rest of these states have typical Deep South terrain and culture. As far as making assumptions that are incorrect...these are not assumptions. These are based on actual observation of not only me but natives of these areas. It's also based on historical fact. As far as telling me my argument isn't advanced, it's more advanced than your's. Mountain terrain precludes war stances on positions because slavery wasn't a necessity in those areas. Agriculture is impossible in those terrains...the soil is too rocky to grow much of anything. Also, many of the people in those mountainous areas were Scotch/Irish immigrants who were opposed to slavery. Memphis probably does have a lot in common with Northern Mississippi, but Arkansas is right across the damn river, you can't pretend Memphis has nothing in common with it. I hear more people from Arkansas relating to Tennessee than I do to Louisiana and Mississippi. Memphis is more like Little Rock and Nashville and Charlotte and other mid-South cities than it is like Jackson, New Orleans, Birmingham, and Atlanta. It is not the Deep South. It is the mid-South. It has elements of both the Upper and Deep South. I have relatives from both Louisiana and South Carolina...Tennessee is a Southern state, but doesn't feel nearly as Southern as the latter two. I've been visiting both Louisiana and South Carolina for over 10 years, so don't underestimate my judgment. I have yet to hear one specific fact from you stating how my geographical and cultural assumptions are incorrect either. When you've been to every state in the South multiple times, not to mention 40 different ones in the lower 48 and explored them all in detail, maybe I'll find you to be more credible. I've been to the entire Midwest, all of the Great Plains, much of the Mountain West, much of the Desert Southwest, some of the west coast, almost all of the East Coast except for New England, and all of the South. I don't just throw assumptions out there. I've had a chance to talk with many locals from all these areas and gathered more than enough information on my own to form my judgment. I definitely sensed upon entering Memphis that I was no longer in the Deep South going north on Interstate 55 from Natchez, Mississippi. Going south on Interstate 55 from Memphis I just sensed a huge change. I don't know how you read my post, but it sure shouldn't lead you to jump to the conclusions you came up with.
i guess the song by johnny cash, "i've been everywhere, man" is yours to have and to hold. it sounds like you haven't been everywhere in the south---like the med in memphis or grady memorial in atlanta---because that is where you would most likely need to be if you spoke to others in the south so disprectfully and rudely. surgeons would be removing your teeth and lips from the rim of your butthole (i'll clean if up a bit), after having them slapped there by the southerner you offended unnecessarily.

after you study a course in remedial reading and comprehension, and, after you understand the tenants of the art of argument and its advance---in between your extensive travels---get back to me, and i'll discuss this with you, hopefully, when you are rational and desensitized. in the mean time, stiffle yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 10:34 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
i guess the song by johnny cash, "i've been everywhere, man" is yours to have and to hold. it sounds like you haven't been everywhere in the south---like the med in memphis or grady memorial in atlanta---because that is where you would most likely need to be if you spoke to others in the south so disprectfully and rudely. surgeons would be removing your teeth and lips from the rim of your butthole (i'll clean if up a bit), after having them slapped there by the southerner you offended unnecessarily.

after you study a course in remedial reading and comprehension, and, after you understand the tenants of the art of argument and its advance---in between your extensive travels---get back to me, and i'll discuss this with you, hopefully, when you are rational and desensitized. in the mean time, stiffle yourself!
I am not sure whether to laugh or cringe...

Old 06-14-2009, 04:39 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post

I have been to every Southern state, and to Louisiana and South Carolina at least once a year for the past 10 years. Whether or not you believe that is irrelevant,..I did it with my entire family. And as I have said before, I have relatives in both Louisiana and South Carolina that I am on good terms with, so as far as getting attacked by any, I'm not worrying about it. As far as respectful, you weren't respectful to me from the get-go, and I happen to have many friends that are from the South...not only have they not once slapped me, they also agree with me. You'd be the one getting slapped, trust me. And all you seem interested in is talking dirty anyway, why should I treat you any differently? And I have been to both Memphis and Atlanta...I've stayed several nights in each city twice. I am being VERY rational and desensitized, and as far not knowing the argument, I have yet to hear you present a counter-argument. All you've done is lash out and insult me. So as far as I'm concerned, I'll agree, this argument is over

Last edited by ajf131; 06-14-2009 at 05:04 PM..

Old 06-14-2009, 05:03 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,222 times
Ajf131 is spot on with his analysis btw.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Could you please explain the typical Deep South terrain to me.

I see you mention your vast experience after making this statement about typical terrain and culture so this should be interesting.
I dunno, it may not apply to Atlanta, but typically the Deep South terrain lies in a geographic area known as the Gulf Coastal Plain. Cotton is a huge crop in these areas. Much of the area is also flat as a pancake, and contains the largest chunk of the Mississippi Delta. Cotton is a huge crop. Lots of swampy areas as well. I'm going to say that while some parts can be very forested and hilly, the hills are generally not rocky and nowhere near mountainous for the most part, nowhere near as hilly and mountainous as Southern Appalachia. Much of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia all have terrain similar to this. The accent in the Deep South also is very rich, almost like a derivative of British dialect...not quite but you can hear British influences in the accent. This is my point of view and many people agree with me. If you have the ear for it, you should easily be able to tell a Deep South accent apart from an Upper South accent, which is much lighter. Another way to phrase the Deep South terrain is the Gulf Coastal Plain, but the accent is also indicative enough by itself. The Deep South is distinct from the Upper South in the lifestyles. This is dictated a great deal by the difference in terrain. If this isn't good enough for you, I guess that's your problem, but I am not lying about my visiting the South in the detail I have.

Last edited by ajf131; 06-14-2009 at 05:26 PM..

Old 06-14-2009, 06:19 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
People would be surprised about how "southern" the Eastern shore region of Maryland is. Western MD is more like West Virginia, which has been characterized as Midwestern and even Northeastern is some cases.

I agree about Missouri being Midwestern, except for maybe the SE part of the state. It was the only slave state above the north of latitude 36° 30' due to the Missouri Compromise: Missouri Compromise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, the Nebraska Territory and Indian Territory(later Oklahoma) also practiced slavery on those lands. History of slavery in Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Indian Territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, keep in mind that New Jersey didn't have it's last slave go free until 1866, after the Civil War.

Here's an interesting article that goes in to detail about what the OP brought up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_states_(Civil_War)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirtee...d_ratification

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirtee...s_Constitution

Old 06-14-2009, 06:24 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
I dunno, it may not apply to Atlanta, but typically the Deep South terrain lies in a geographic area known as the Gulf Coastal Plain. Cotton is a huge crop in these areas. Much of the area is also flat as a pancake, and contains the largest chunk of the Mississippi Delta. Cotton is a huge crop. Lots of swampy areas as well. I'm going to say that while some parts can be very forested and hilly, the hills are generally not rocky and nowhere near mountainous for the most part, nowhere near as hilly and mountainous as Southern Appalachia. Much of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia all have terrain similar to this. The accent in the Deep South also is very rich, almost like a derivative of British dialect...not quite but you can hear British influences in the accent. This is my point of view and many people agree with me. If you have the ear for it, you should easily be able to tell a Deep South accent apart from an Upper South accent, which is much lighter. Another way to phrase the Deep South terrain is the Gulf Coastal Plain, but the accent is also indicative enough by itself. The Deep South is distinct from the Upper South in the lifestyles. This is dictated a great deal by the difference in terrain. If this isn't good enough for you, I guess that's your problem, but I am not lying about my visiting the South in the detail I have.
So basically, alot of it is the same but some of it is different.

Some have a deep south accent and some have an upper south accent and some are transplants.

That cleared up nothing except that much of the south has different areas.

By the way, none of this is my problem. The problem lies with those that try to paint a huge region with a broad stroke. "Deep South Terrain"

I really don't care where you have visited because you obviously still have not been able to differentiate between regions.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
People would be surprised about how "southern" the Eastern shore region of Maryland is. Western MD is more like West Virginia, which has been characterized as Midwestern and even Northeastern is some cases.

I agree about Missouri being Midwestern, except for maybe the SE part of the state. It was the only slave state above the north of latitude 36° 30' due to the Missouri Compromise: Missouri Compromise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, the Nebraska Territory and Indian Territory(later Oklahoma) also practiced slavery on those lands. History of slavery in Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Indian Territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, keep in mind that New Jersey didn't have it's last slave go free until 1866, after the Civil War.

Here's an interesting article that goes in to detail about what the OP brought up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_states_(Civil_War)

Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
REALLY...I had no idea about New Jersey still having slaves during the Civil War...very interesting stuff! I know that extreme Southern Illinois practiced slavery...cotton grew and still does grow way down there at the southern tip around Cairo. Marion, Illinois even tried to secede from the rest of Illinois at one point but was convinced not to.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
So basically, alot of it is the same but some of it is different.

Some have a deep south accent and some have an upper south accent and some are transplants.

That cleared up nothing except that much of the south has different areas.

By the way, none of this is my problem. The problem lies with those that try to paint a huge region with a broad stroke. "Deep South Terrain"

I really don't care where you have visited because you obviously still have not been able to differentiate between regions.
I see your point, but on the other hand I generally am correct about the general landscape of the Deep South and the Upper South. The Upper South tends to be mountainous and rocky, whereas the Deep South tends to be more plains, prairie, marshland, and swampland. The Upper South tends to be characterized by Southern Appalachia. Perhaps I painted slightly too broad of a picture there, but in general what I depicted as "Deep South terrain" is the best general picture anyone can paint of it.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 11,229 times
Quote:
I see your point, but on the other hand I generally am correct about the general landscape of the Deep South and the Upper South. The Upper South tends to be mountainous and rocky, whereas the Deep South tends to be more plains, prairie, marshland, and swampland. The Upper South tends to be characterized by Southern Appalachia. Perhaps I painted slightly too broad of a picture there, but in general what I depicted as "Deep South terrain" is the best general picture anyone can paint of it.
What's considered Upper South has coastal plain terrain, and what's considered Deep South has rocky terrain, as well.

Oh, and all states mentioned in the OP are Southern to some degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City