Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 08:08 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
so just wondering, where would you rather live, philly or san jose?
Philly all day! But I'm privy to the east coast, public transportation, grit, urbanity and rowhouses. Ask someone from Cali the same question. They love their cars, strip malls, sunshine, clean streets, etc....

Old 04-14-2011, 08:17 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,188,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Philly has more culture, more arts, more amenities, more beautiful women overall (DC probably edges in AA women), more diversity (especially city proper), better nightlife, better location, etc than DC.
Fixed

Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
fixed
lls

Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
A million people live in SJ.
The largest city in Siberia (Novosibirsk) has 1.5 million people. Wanna live there?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Fixed
Exactly. This guy stays in anything Philly related , I guess since nobody is talking about DC..but him.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:42 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
This is funny! DC has more culture, more arts, more amenities, more income, more employment, more beautiful women (Philly women look rough), more diversity, more nightlife.....You get the point. That's why you can live like a king in Philly on 30 thousand a year.
Philadephia areas growth + lifespan is entirely self-made and organic. Its one of the countrys great success stories.

On the otherhand DC owes most of its success, culture and high cost of living(which inexplicably seems to be a good thing according to DC zealots) entirely to the existence and bestowement of the Federal Govt.

In reality If the Capital were in any other place Dc would be an unassuming sleepy region.

Philadelphia has everything DC has and more, at 1/3 the cost, and its success was honestly earned.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:11 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
[quote=rainrock;18725692]
On the otherhand DC owes most of its success, culture and high cost of living(which inexplicably seems to be a good thing according to DC zealots) quote]

Seriously, I've never understood that arguement. Philadelphia is a rare city in that you can either pay rent to live in a relatively expensive well established world class neighborhood or live in an up and coming neighborhood and pay very little for a mortgage. I went with the latter and it is amazing how much QOL goes up. Philly truly is "The city of homes and homeowners" and IMO will greatly benefit the city in the future. If the housing crisis taught us anything it's that houses were being priced way too high. Philly did not have a housing crisis-in fact home values continue to climb even though it remains one of the few cities where working class people can own a home.

P.S. I think I just realized why DC and San Jose posters are constantly attacking Philly-They need a valid reason why they pay for housing costs that are laughable when we in Philly can live at 1/3 of the costs and live in a city that is more vibrant, urban and has culture and ameneties only a select couple of cities can match.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 04-14-2011 at 10:19 AM..

Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 AM

[quote=2e1m5a;18726165]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
On the otherhand DC owes most of its success, culture and high cost of living(which inexplicably seems to be a good thing according to DC zealots) quote]

Seriously, I've never understood that arguement. Philadelphia is a rare city in that you can either pay rent to live in a relatively expensive well established world class neighborhood or live in an up and coming neighborhood and pay very little for a mortgage. I went with the latter and it is amazing how much QOL goes up. Philly truly is "The city of homes and homeowners" and IMO will greatly benefit the city in the future. If the housing crisis taught us anything it's that houses were being priced way too high. Philly did not have a housing crisis-in fact home values continue to climb even though it remains one of the few cities where working class people can own a home.

P.S. I think I just realized why DC and San Jose posters are constantly attacking Philly-They need a valid reason why they pay for housing costs that are laughable when we in Philly can live at 1/3 of the costs and live in a city that is more vibrant, urban and has culture and ameneties only a select couple of cities can match.
Only in your distorted mind can you justify that. People in DC pay more because OBVIOUSLY there is something attracting them to the area. Why does Wilmington cost less than Philly. If you can answer that, then you will understand the dynamics. All this back and forth about what city is better is subjective. DC is high powered. It has no reason to be jealous of Philly. Like you said, everything Philly has, DC has it too maybe even more of it in certain areas. Outside of NYC, it's very hard to match DC for it's mix of sophistication, cosmopolitan qualities, diversity, transportation, workforce, urban landscape, museums, jobs, tourist attractions, amenities, worldliness, etc...Some cities top DC in certain areas but as a whole, DC gives you it all in a neat 61 square mile package. Plus no other city outside on NYC runs at DC's pace. The numbers don't lie.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:11 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times
LMAO this troll really wants us to believe that DC is the place to be! give it up. Writing essays on how DC deserves some attention is a waste of time. DC is the home to the federal government, and thats about all that comes to mind. oh and the White House. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:14 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Quote:

Only in your distorted mind can you justify that. People in DC pay more because OBVIOUSLY there is something attracting them to the area. Why does Wilmington cost less than Philly. If you can answer that, then you will understand the dynamics. All this back and forth about what city is better is subjective. DC is high powered. It has no reason to be jealous of Philly. Like you said, everything Philly has, DC has it too maybe even more of it in certain areas. Outside of NYC, it's very hard to match DC for it's mix of sophistication, cosmopolitan qualities, diversity, transportation, workforce, urban landscape, museums, jobs, tourist attractions, amenities, worldliness, etc...Some cities top DC in certain areas but as a whole, DC gives you it all in a neat 61 square mile package. Plus no other city outside on NYC runs at DC's pace. The numbers don't lie.
high cost of living is not a good thing. i will never understand this argument.

a higher cost of living generally means a better community, nicer neighborhood, etc, but IT IS NOT a direct correlation.

we just had a poll here and people overwhelmingly agreed that philly's downtown was much better than dc's. and yet it costs about 3 to 4 times more to live in downtown dc. that is not something for dc to be proud about. it is a problem. that will eventually correct itself.

philly's low cost of living is one of it's best aspects. my gf and I live in a beautiful apartment in downtown philadelphia and pay less than 1000 a month. that would not be possible in dc.

there's a reason why so many people from new york are moving down to philly and commuting to new york. obviously philly doesn't offer what new york does, but if you compare the cost of living a lot of people are starting to think that philly gives you more bang for your buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City