Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap artists/R&B singers??
New York City 111 40.51%
Los Angeles 58 21.17%
Atlanta 85 31.02%
Miami 13 4.74%
Chicago 47 17.15%
Detroit 37 13.50%
Houston 26 9.49%
Washington, D.C. 7 2.55%
Philadelphia 36 13.14%
Dallas 8 2.92%
St. Louis 12 4.38%
New Orleans 21 7.66%
Baltimore 4 1.46%
Tampa 4 1.46%
Other 28 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 01:01 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Drake is a Toronto Canada born Rapper.What does his music emulate?SOUTHERN RAP!That's what influence can do.Soulja Boy may be crap(I agree) but its what people want.If we were talking quality SOLEY,then of course it would be hands down New York.I think the music will eventually change in styles again.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:05 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
I don't care either way, but I don't understand why everyone hates him and others like him so much. D4L came out with "Laffy Taffy", Dem Franchise Boyz came out with "Lean Wit It, Rock Wit It" and everyone was exclaiming they're killing hip hop. What's the big deal? They music to dance or have fun to or whatever. It's nothing to take seriously. I see it as a good thing, because it expands hip hop's image. Everything doesn't have to be lyrically complex and what not. And I don't know why everyone wants to say "the South did this" and "the South did that", as if "Chicken Noodle Soup" or "This Is Why I'm Hot" never existed.
Your'e right!!If people wanna blame anyone,blame P.Diddy!!He started that whole materialistic "bawlin type"image.New York's finest himself.People got tired of what was going on so they followed what was new and fresh.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:31 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
NY doesn't make music anymore other than Mixtapes so they hate on the South because we took over.....

All people from NY say is the 90's was the best so what it's not 90's anymore. You can continue to listen to Positve K and P. Diddy saying Bad Boy 97 in songs but this is a new era.....

Old 07-18-2009, 02:05 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
We can all agree that this era is significantly weaker than the eighties and nineties, who has the mantle-the south right? right. Do the math. I will say again, the south is hot because ny and la are struggling creatively right now not because the south collectively actually makes good music

Old 07-18-2009, 09:50 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Its laughable when people say fifty is garbage. Get rich or die trying was a classic and one of the greatest albums released this decade lol. Dropped two solid releases after that. Has been consistant heat on the mixtapes aswell. And TI not commercial? lol
Get Rich or Die Trying was his ONLY good album. The rest were garbage.

All the real rappers want to REMAIN underground. I know rappers in Houston prefer not to go mainstream, and probably be selling more than mainstream rappers anyway.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:00 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
We can all agree that this era is significantly weaker than the eighties and nineties, who has the mantle-the south right? right. Do the math. I will say again, the south is hot because ny and la are struggling creatively right now not because the south collectively actually makes good music
I hate to agree with dude about the South but he is right. The hip hop in this era is significantly weaker than the 90s. That's not up for discussion. In the 90s, everybody was hungry and the market wasn't into it as much. They still thought it was a fad and P Diddy in 97 showed that this will be around for a while. But the consistently best albums have come from New York.

Now DFB, D4L maybe having fun. But most of the music out now isn't improving hip hop's image at all. Especially since you have rappers glorifying selling drugs. The South in the 90s was much better than now. Big Mike, Scarface, The DOC, Outkast, 8ball and MJG, UGK. You name it. That era for the South was much better than it is now. No region should brag that they are on top right now. It's pure garbage on the radio and tv right now. Pure garbage. Then you have people that know little about hip hop laugh at the hip hop fans for the shuckin and jiving that's going on with the genre. It's pretty tiring to stick up for it in the music forum.

Basically, the problem is the lack of balance. All you hear is music that plays in parties or clubs. That's it. You had that in the 90s. But then you also had music that inspires, makes you think, talks about situations that we need to hear. Somebody earlier said that this is the music that people want to hear. NO it's what the teenagers want to hear. The record companies market their music to 10-20 year olds. This is what they want to hear. People over the age of 22 don't care to hear a soulja boy or a FLY or a D4L unless you're at a club and only a club.

D4L and FLY are the 2000s version of 69 boyz and 95 South. But we now need a Nas, A Wu Tang, a Mob Deep, an Outkast. We need creativity and balance and right now BOTH are lacking in the game right now. Everything doesn't have to be lyrical. But if you want to be takign serious, then you better be talking about something and you better be good at it. Again, D4L and DFB maybe having fun. But most hip hop fans do not take them serious. They know they are what they are.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:34 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Atlanta is and has been the deFacto capital Hip-Hop music in America for at least the last 10 years(like the style or not).For over 30 years,R&B for sure.Before that, Philadelphia(still today in the Neo-Soul area)

Older Artist(R&B)
Blind Willie
Mothers'Finest
S.O.S. Band
Atlanta Rythymn Section
Cameo
Gladys Knight and The Pips

In the 90's Atlanta was the place.LaFace was putting out artist left and right.
Newer Artist(90's to current)
Arrested Developement,Mista,Toni Braxton,Jagged Edge,112,Kriss Kross
Monica
OutKast,YoungBloodz,Goodie Mob,TLC,Silk,Keith Sweat,Xscape(resident for over 20 years)
More current Artist
T.I.,Ludacris,Keri Hilson,Ne-yo,Usher,T-pain,Ciara,Bobby Valentino,Johnta Austin,Kelly Rowland and Kanye West;(both born in Atlanta),Lil Scrappy,Young Joc,Young Jeezy,

Neo Soul scene:Indie Arie,Van-Hunt,Anthony David,Donnie,Gnarles Barkley

Artist from Georgia and nearby:
Macon,GA- Little Richard
Ottis Redding
Augusta,GA -James Brown
Albany,GA -Ray Charles
Savannah,GA -Mary J. Blige

So many music company headquarters also located in Atlanta:

Laface Records(Babyface and L.A. Reid)
Worldwide Entertainment
Freeworld Entertainement(Dallas Austin)
SoSO Def(Jermaine Dupree)

Studios
Organized Noise(Rico Wade)
Doppler Studios
Patchwerk Studio's
There are many more.
Not to mention other genres of music like Gospel and Country Music.
a bunch of those artists aren't from ATL... lol ..

Old 07-18-2009, 10:40 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I hate to agree with dude about the South but he is right. The hip hop in this era is significantly weaker than the 90s. That's not up for discussion. In the 90s, everybody was hungry and the market wasn't into it as much. They still thought it was a fad and P Diddy in 97 showed that this will be around for a while. But the consistently best albums have come from New York.

Now DFB, D4L maybe having fun. But most of the music out now isn't improving hip hop's image at all. Especially since you have rappers glorifying selling drugs. The South in the 90s was much better than now. Big Mike, Scarface, The DOC, Outkast, 8ball and MJG, UGK. You name it. That era for the South was much better than it is now. No region should brag that they are on top right now. It's pure garbage on the radio and tv right now. Pure garbage. Then you have people that know little about hip hop laugh at the hip hop fans for the shuckin and jiving that's going on with the genre. It's pretty tiring to stick up for it in the music forum.

Basically, the problem is the lack of balance. All you hear is music that plays in parties or clubs. That's it. You had that in the 90s. But then you also had music that inspires, makes you think, talks about situations that we need to hear. Somebody earlier said that this is the music that people want to hear. NO it's what the teenagers want to hear. The record companies market their music to 10-20 year olds. This is what they want to hear. People over the age of 22 don't care to hear a soulja boy or a FLY or a D4L unless you're at a club and only a club.

D4L and FLY are the 2000s version of 69 boyz and 95 South. But we now need a Nas, A Wu Tang, a Mob Deep, an Outkast. We need creativity and balance and right now BOTH are lacking in the game right now. Everything doesn't have to be lyrical. But if you want to be takign serious, then you better be talking about something and you better be good at it. Again, D4L and DFB maybe having fun. But most hip hop fans do not take them serious. They know they are what they are.
Ya if you were a doctor that would be hip hop diagnosis. Lack of balance to where club music and deeper music cant coexist peacefully. I was thinking the main culprit might be the fans. These 90's babies are not holding it down correctly(dont be offended if born post 1990) they are a big reason too

Old 07-18-2009, 10:43 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Ya if you were a doctor that would be hip hop diagnosis. Lack of balance to where club music and deeper music cant coexist peacefully. I was thinking the main culprit might be the fans. These 90's babies are not holding it down correctly(dont be offended if born post 1990) they are a big reason too
More like post 1985. Music turned crap back in 97, half of the 90s babies (including me) didn't even understand what the music was like. It was you guys in the club dancing to Diddy lol

You guys were once fans and loved that type of music, so it evolved into something much worse, and now we have Hip Pop.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:45 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
a bunch of those artists aren't from ATL... lol ..
They may not be from Atlanta but they came to Atlanta to get started or they live in here in Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City