Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap artists/R&B singers??
New York City 111 40.51%
Los Angeles 58 21.17%
Atlanta 85 31.02%
Miami 13 4.74%
Chicago 47 17.15%
Detroit 37 13.50%
Houston 26 9.49%
Washington, D.C. 7 2.55%
Philadelphia 36 13.14%
Dallas 8 2.92%
St. Louis 12 4.38%
New Orleans 21 7.66%
Baltimore 4 1.46%
Tampa 4 1.46%
Other 28 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:30 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Aint that the truth about ATL! Atlanta has a some great rappers, but all the wack rappers come from there too! If you ever want to become a one-hit wonder move to ATL and you are sure to become popular! LOL
Not all.But many come to get deals here.One hit wonder is way off base.OutKast?,T.I.?Ludacris?

Old 07-17-2009, 11:14 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,094,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Atlanta is and has been the deFacto capital Hip-Hop music in America for at least the last 10 years(like the style or not).For over 30 years,R&B for sure.Before that, Philadelphia(still today in the Neo-Soul area)

Older Artist(R&B)
Blind Willie
Mothers'Finest
S.O.S. Band
Atlanta Rythymn Section
Cameo
Gladys Knight and The Pips

In the 90's Atlanta was the place.LaFace was putting out artist left and right.
Newer Artist(90's to current)
Arrested Developement,Mista,Toni Braxton,Jagged Edge,112,Kriss Kross
Monica
OutKast,YoungBloodz,Goodie Mob,TLC,Silk,Keith Sweat,Xscape(resident for over 20 years)
More current Artist
T.I.,Ludacris,Keri Hilson,Ne-yo,Usher,T-pain,Ciara,Bobby Valentino,Johnta Austin,Kelly Rowland and Kanye West;(both born in Atlanta),Lil Scrappy,Young Joc,Young Jeezy,

Neo Soul scene:Indie Arie,Van-Hunt,Anthony David,Donnie,Gnarles Barkley

Artist from Georgia and nearby:
Macon,GA- Little Richard
Ottis Redding
Augusta,GA -James Brown
Albany,GA -Ray Charles
Savannah,GA -Mary J. Blige

So many music company headquarters also located in Atlanta:

Laface Records(Babyface and L.A. Reid)
Worldwide Entertainment
Freeworld Entertainement(Dallas Austin)
SoSO Def(Jermaine Dupree)

Studios
Organized Noise(Rico Wade)
Doppler Studios
Patchwerk Studio's
There are many more.
Not to mention other genres of music like Gospel and Country Music.
Fall back my man. The list of new york artist would be too long. Half them artist aint even from atl to begin with

Jay-z=best in the game
50 cent= Most succesful artist this decade. The only thing stopping him from outselling almost all of atl by himself is outkast, other than that.
Nyc- More headquarters
Nyc- Where all the big 200mill+ moguls come from
Add kiss, fab,nas etc lol atl is not the defacto capitol of hip hop

Old 07-17-2009, 11:22 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,623,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Fall back my man. The list of new york artist would be too long. Half them artist aint even from atl to begin with

Jay-z=best in the game
50 cent= Most succesful artist this decade. The only thing stopping him from outselling almost all of atl by himself is outkast, other than that.
Nyc- More headquarters

50 cent is garbage. Who's cares how much he sells. Artists such as Jadakiss and T.I are much more lyrical than 50 and they don't sell because they're not as commercialized.....

Lupe is the best in the game
Most successful may be 50.

In the 90's....NY was one of the leading cities in Hip-Hop

Its the 2000's.....Now the south is leading things....Atlanta in particular....

Old 07-17-2009, 11:24 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,623,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Aint that the truth about ATL! Atlanta has a some great rappers, but all the wack rappers come from there too! If you ever want to become a one-hit wonder move to ATL and you are sure to become popular! LOL

Can I ask you a question? What type of artists come out of Baltimore because last time I checked, that city is on mute with r&b and rap artists.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
50 cent is garbage. Who's cares how much he sells. Artists such as Jadakiss and T.I are much more lyrical than 50 and they don't sell because they're not as commercialized.....

Lupe is the best in the game
Most successful may be 50.

In the 90's....NY was one of the leading cities in Hip-Hop

Its the 2000's.....Now the south is leading things....Atlanta in particular....
Its laughable when people say fifty is garbage. Get rich or die trying was a classic and one of the greatest albums released this decade lol. Dropped two solid releases after that. Has been consistant heat on the mixtapes aswell. And TI not commercial? lol

Old 07-18-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:

Jay-z=best in the game
Nyc- More headquarters
OOOWEEE!!I hit a nerve!!Y'ALL New Yawh'kus don't like to be challenged!!LOL!!Yes I know New York has more of everything,It should.But when you here a song on the radio at least once or twice an hour with mention of Atlanta,would you not say there has been a major shift in influence?I'm talking as far as the charts and whats played on the radio.Who are the top artist and where are they from on the charts.Yeh some are not from Atlanta.Many are not from NYC either.But because of the sheer amount of the music industry and the "cache" NYC name has,many are potrayed as if they are from there.Atlanta has long ago reached that "cache" status too.Over the last couple of years it has become more fashionable to "rep ya city" but most of those cities are just trying too hard.Atlanta has been there since at least the 90's.Still strong.

BTW.When is the last time 50,Nas,Fabulous,had a hit?

Of course I'm not sayin Atl has a bigger industry than NYC.However for a city its size,its influence is far greater than many cities that are bigger.In Hip Hop I stand by my statement that Atlanta is the center of Hip Hop currently and for the R&B crown as well.
Even in NYC you here "southern" hip hop now.I remember just a few years ago,on BET most of the top artist would be from Atlanta and the South.The chart's top ten were mostly Atlanta artists.Yet you would go to New York City and no one was hardly playing it.Even though everywhere else in the country was!!You only have to look at "the charts" and "music videos" to see what artist are constantly in the top 20.More than Half are usually associated with Atlanta.in relation to its ITS SIZE is very influential at the moment.You dont even hear hardly any NYC rappers anymore.Jayz?Yeh he is one of the best ever.But TODAY,he is not that relavent.Its all about...arghh.."lil"Wayne(not from Atlanta),but many other artist are.

Houston,Dallas,Chicago,Boston,BMORE,Miami,Philly,D .C.?NO WAY to all!!What other cities outside of L.A. and NYC has a bigger scene?

Old 07-18-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeeldope View Post
isnt he from holland???...idk but foriegn exchange is freaking amazing...anybody that needs some good R&B and hiphop should listen
Foreign Exchange is the BOMB!!(people still say that don't they?lol)

Old 07-18-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Bricktown - that's Newark to you hillbillies - even though it's been left off the list. Otherwise, L.A.

Ice T, Redman, Shaq (yes, he's a rapper too!), Queen Latifah, Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean and the Fugees... Bricktown. Also, Sabion Glover and Whitney Houston are from this musical city.
HILLBILLIES>LOL!!NO YOU DIDN"T!!LOL.Stop hatin!!LOL

Old 07-18-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I agree. Atl is where its at simply because there are two sleeping giants in Nyc and LA, not because atl is actually hot. Atls best music was made in the nineties and it got no shine because new york and la were doing it big than. Atl gotta pop out some classics first.

For instance. This is Atls reign time. In LA's reign , The chronic,doggystyle,all eyes on me,no one can do it better, ice cubes album(forgot the name) came out just to name a few. What bonafide classics hcame from atl in the 2000s
You are right about the best music in the 90's Atlanta.Arrested Developement and Kriss Kross?WHAT!!The best.Same is true with New York.Can't forget that V_I_B_E_!!!SHE'S GOT THAT VIBE!!I'm talkin bout that New Jack Swing!!Man I miss that music.!!

Actually no one has put out any "classic in 2000 in my opinion ANYWHERE.The current state of music(commercially)sucks.I stick mostly too neo soul.It never lets me down.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
OOOWEEE!!I hit a nerve!!Y'ALL New Yawh'kus don't like to be challenged!!LOL!!Yes I know New York has more of everything,It should.But when you here a song on the radio at least once or twice an hour with mention of Atlanta,would you not say there has been a major shift in influence?I'm talking as far as the charts and whats played on the radio.Who are the top artist and where are they from on the charts.Yeh some are not from Atlanta.Many are not from NYC either.But because of the sheer amount of the music industry and the "cache" NYC name has,many are potrayed as if they are from there.Atlanta has long ago reached that "cache" status too.Over the last couple of years it has become more fashionable to "rep ya city" but most of those cities are just trying too hard.Atlanta has been there since at least the 90's.Still strong.

BTW.When is the last time 50,Nas,Fabulous,had a hit?

Of course I'm not sayin Atl has a bigger industry than NYC.However for a city its size,its influence is far greater than many cities that are bigger.In Hip Hop I stand by my statement that Atlanta is the center of Hip Hop currently and for the R&B crown as well.
Even in NYC you here "southern" hip hop now.I remember just a few years ago,on BET most of the top artist would be from Atlanta and the South.The chart's top ten were mostly Atlanta artists.Yet you would go to New York City and no one was hardly playing it.Even though everywhere else in the country was!!You only have to look at "the charts" and "music videos" to see what artist are constantly in the top 20.More than Half are usually associated with Atlanta.in relation to its ITS SIZE is very influential at the moment.You dont even hear hardly any NYC rappers anymore.Jayz?Yeh he is one of the best ever.But TODAY,he is not that relavent.Its all about...arghh.."lil"Wayne(not from Atlanta),but many other artist are.

Houston,Dallas,Chicago,Boston,BMORE,Miami,Philly,D .C.?NO WAY to all!!What other cities outside of L.A. and NYC has a bigger scene?
Atls rise to prominence comes from la and nyc being in a slump creatively at this point not because yall actually hot. Aint nobody from their selling just like everywhere else. Atls reign at hip has got to be the absolute worst in the genre. OJ DA juice man, gucci mane? How can jay-z not be relevant when his album is all but garunteed to go platinum and be number one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City