Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer??
Nashville, Tennessee 142 56.80%
Columbus, Ohio 108 43.20%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:44 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times

Advertisements

I've been to both cities. They seem similar in scope, but have different atmospheres. Country Music is inconic to Nashville. When I think of Columbus, I think of Jack Hanna and the zoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:31 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,805 times
Nashville is a great city, but Columbus trumps "Music City" for me. I enjoy the more urban feeling, the amenities and physical setting of Columbus.
I've visited Nashville many times tho, it's a great place to "visit"

Old 08-10-2010, 08:42 AM

66 posts, read 184,982 times
nashvillecitizen--
I'm not going to argue what people should choose, bc they are actually quite different (obviously with similarities). But I have a couple of problems with your post.
1. Most obvious... Columbus has the NHL Columbus Bluejackets. .. so yeah.
2. Columbus offers more amenities overall and has much more culture. Yes, Nashville offers more in country music (honky tonk culture/"fame" and country concerts), but that's something I'm not even going to bother going into bc my opinion on that doesn't matter.
My wife lived in Nashville her whole life and we visit her family/friends quite often so I definitely know what I'm talking about.
We definitely say Columbus by a long shot (for culture/amenities/urban-ness). But it's what you're looking for... just post honest comments so that we know why you really decide your choice.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:46 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,631,303 times
Sorry, but I like the urban feel much more in Columbus. Neighborhoods that border the downtown like Short North, Victorian Village, German Village, etc. Great areas like High Street, and the Arena District downtown. I was just in Nashville a few weeks ago on business, and I live about an hour and a half from Columbus, there was a lot more construction going on in Columbus than Nashville. Much more investment in the downtown region too. Nashville is a great city, do not get me wrong. Love that town and have had some great times there, but Columbus is more than just Ohio State like Austin is more than U of T. Great urban neighborhoods, lots of companies, diverse economy, etc. Columbus, as is Nashville, is a very underrated city that gets overlooked a lot.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Sorry, but I like the urban feel much more in Columbus. Neighborhoods that border the downtown like Short North, Victorian Village, German Village, etc. Great areas like High Street, and the Arena District downtown. I was just in Nashville a few weeks ago on business, and I live about an hour and a half from Columbus, there was a lot more construction going on in Columbus than Nashville. Much more investment in the downtown region too. Nashville is a great city, do not get me wrong. Love that town and have had some great times there, but Columbus is more than just Ohio State like Austin is more than U of T. Great urban neighborhoods, lots of companies, diverse economy, etc. Columbus, as is Nashville, is a very underrated city that gets overlooked a lot.
^^ Beaver, you certainly are a wise individual! ^^

Old 08-10-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleCitizen View Post
i know columbus has a hokey team. i just forgot to put in. think what you want to think. i have been to columbus many times. some of my family lives there. its a drabby city

Columbus is far removed from being a "drabby city", please look at the
photos I've taken around the city centre ... there's a BUILDING BOOM
at present! Columbus is an energetic, vibrant and growing city that defies
the common notion that all cities in Ohio are "dead" or are "dying". I have many more photo's that I'll be adding over time, so these photo's only portray some of the building going on, in addition to some of the architectural beauty that is widely represented in Columbus.

Progress & Prosperity In Columbus, Ohio - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/johndbaumgardner/sets/72157624673482132/ - broken link)

Old 08-17-2010, 10:37 AM

940 posts, read 1,902,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
The accent would wear on me...
Whatever "the accent" is, not lots of tolerance coming out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
... and I hate country music and that's kinda big there.
What does the means that some people employ, making a living, have to do with any of this? People are unbelievably silly when they can't wake up from a media image of a place.

A little speculation. I wonder if: Robert Plant, Sheryl Crow, Kid Rock, Leon Russell, Peter Frampton, Richard Thompson, Walter Egan, Victor Wooten, Bela Fleck, Jerry Douglas, Sam Bush and a whole bunch of other master artists, think this way. They all live in the Nashville metro.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:10 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Whatever "the accent" is, not lots of tolerance coming out here.

What does the means that some people employ, making a living, have to do with any of this? People are unbelievably silly when they can't wake up from a media image of a place.

A little speculation. I wonder if: Robert Plant, Sheryl Crow, Kid Rock, Leon Russell, Peter Frampton, Richard Thompson, Walter Egan, Victor Wooten, Bela Fleck, Jerry Douglas, Sam Bush and a whole bunch of other master artists, think this way. They all live in the Nashville metro.
Don't forget Ben Folds, Barry Gibb, Michael McDonald, Ke$ha, Jack White, Young Buck, and the Kings of Leon! They live here too.

Star Power is one thing Nashville definitely has over Columbus...and pretty much every other city in the US of similar size.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Don't forget Ben Folds, Barry Gibb, Michael McDonald, Ke$ha, Jack White, Young Buck, and the Kings of Leon! They live here too.

Star Power is one thing Nashville definitely has over Columbus...and pretty much every other city in the US of similar size.

It may be something to "tout", depending on whom u ask, but having "celebrities" inhabiting a city doesn't necessarily mean anything particularly special ... Country music is the catalyst behind these "luminaries" calling Nashville home, but "they're just people like the rest of us"
Eric Clapton and Jack Hanna call Columbus home, but rarely does anybody mention it ... or care for that matter.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:26 AM

940 posts, read 1,902,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
It may be something to "tout", depending on whom u ask, but having "celebrities" inhabiting a city doesn't necessarily mean anything particularly special
It does if you like music, because these people show up at jams around Nashville all the time, or get called up on concert stages to share a few numbers. Take a look at the Tennessean and they get mentioned for this often. Like Robert Plant showing up at the Bluebird, or Steve Miller and Kenny Chesney at an impromptu jam at Tootsie's:
Kenny Chesney and Steve Miller follow 'Crossroads' taping with Tootsies stop at tennessean.com | Tune In Music City

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
... Country music is the catalyst behind these "luminaries" calling Nashville home, but "they're just people like the rest of us"
Music -PERIOD- is one of the reasons these people are living there. It is the reason thousands of aspiring songwriters are there for example the guys that wrote "We're In This Love Together" for Al Jarreau, who wrote it on Music Row. And quality of life is the other reason, including the beauty of the terrain. Its kind of like you guys don't get it. You think Donna Summer moved there because of country music? I don't think so. She moved there for the music infrastructure, the creative environment, the natural beauty, and because dozens of her successful friends were already there, the same reasons Sheryl Crow moved there. This is an old story. The Hermitage hotel is Neil Young's home away from home, he recorded most of his biggest projects in town going all the way back to "Harvest". Steve Miller recorded a bunch of his stuff there including "Number Five" LP. Dylan recorded several there all the way back to 1967, including "Blonde on Blonde"

And then somebody comes onto a thread and says they wouldn't like the town because of "country", how they hate it. Well Microsoft doesn't hate it enough I guess, because the firm they hired for generating all of the Windows 7 musical sound fragments is a Nashville firm.

OH and by the way. You know all of the musicians on the Memphis Stax/Volt and the Muscle Shoals sessions? Want to guess where they all are living?

But I'm thinking this may be a little too much Americana for some posters here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City