Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fourth most important in the nation?
San Francisco 118 25.00%
Washington D.C. 217 45.97%
Boston 63 13.35%
Houston 74 15.68%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:35 PM

882 posts, read 2,246,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
This is the funniest post that I have ever read since I joined city-data. The majority of the Boston Metropolitan area is white? If you say this then you must have not ever been to Boston. Don't state your views on what you see on TV. Boston is very diverse. You state that Latino population at Houston is about 1.7 million? LOL it may be a large population of Latinos, but they are mainly Mexicans lol. Houston is the least diversed between DC, SF, Boston and Houston. Ultimately, Houston is not diversed. It is growing now.
Your confusing the city of Boston and the MSA of Boston. Of which, the latter is not diverse. And since we were talking about CSAs in the first place, we have come to the conclusion that the Boston area is not diverse, which is not to say that the CITY of Boston isn't diverse.

go back a few pages, and read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yes, it is. It's a known fact - look it up.

Have you ever been to the Boston area? Doesn't sound like it.
but, it's a different culture italian, german, poilsh, irish, french, etc

Old 03-16-2010, 12:45 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
but, it's a different culture italian, german, poilsh, irish, french, etc
And, last time I checked all these ethnicites are white, are they not?

Are you not able to admit that you were wrong about the racial makeup of metro Boston?

Why is it so difficult to possibly admit that Houston is more diverse? Are you really THAT much of a homer?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:47 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yes, it is. It's a known fact - look it up.

Have you ever been to the Boston area? Doesn't sound like it.
He specifically said METRO area, which is extremely diverse (One of the most diverse in the nation, especially based on foreign born population) and made up of Boston-Cambridge-Quincy

I believe you are referring to the CSA which includes New Hampshire, which I agree is not diverse at all.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
This is the funniest post that I have ever read since I joined city-data. The majority of the Boston Metropolitan area is white? If you say this then you must have not ever been to Boston. Don't state your views on what you see on TV. Boston is very diverse. You state that Latino population at Houston is about 1.7 million? LOL it may be a large population of Latinos, but they are mainly Mexicans lol. Houston is the least diversed between DC, SF, Boston and Houston. Ultimately, Houston is not diversed. It is growing now.
You're saying that someone hasn't been to Boston because of a comment and then you make this towards the end of your post. Laughable. Oh and a quick note, Houston has a very large Salvadoran, Panamanian, Colombian, fast growing Belizan and Venezuelan population.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
He specifically said METRO area, which is extremely diverse (One of the most diverse in the nation, especially based on foreign born population) and made up of Boston-Cambridge-Quincy

I believe you are referring to the CSA which includes New Hampshire, which I agree is not diverse at all.
I never said it wasn't, it is still majority white no matter how you slice it.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You're saying that someone hasn't been to Boston because of a comment and then you make this towards the end of your post. Laughable. Oh and a quick note, Houston has a very large Salvadoran, Panamanian, Colombian, fast growing Belizan and Venezuelan population.
Sigh.....it's just more of the same old, same old.

North = good.

South = bad.

Oh, and someone needs to retire diversed. It's not a real word.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:56 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Your confusing the city of Boston and the MSA of Boston. Of which, the latter is not diverse. And since we were talking about CSAs in the first place, we have come to the conclusion that the Boston area is not diverse, which is not to say that the CITY of Boston isn't diverse.

go back a few pages, and read.
Boston isn't the most diverse city in the world...but to claim there is no diversity is foolish.

Sure there are lots of white people in the area. There are many Portuguese communities throughout Massachusetts/Rhode Island (especially around Narragansett Bay), along with many Irish and Italian communities. Don't get so caught up on the shade of someone's skin.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:58 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Boston isn't the most diverse city in the world...but to claim there is no diversity is foolish.

Sure there are lots of white people in the area. There are many Portuguese communities throughout Massachusetts/Rhode Island (especially around Narragansett Bay), along with many Irish and Italian communities. Don't get so caught up on the shade of someone's skin.
I think Boston has one of the largest, if not the largest, Brazilian communities in the nation. Could be wrong though.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Boston certainly isn't the most diverse city in the world...but to claim there is no diversity is foolish.

Please don't think I was suggesting any such thing, tmac9wr. I've been there multiple times and know the area is diverse - but it is still majority white. Just like my metro.

I was responding to nyricanpapis ridiculous claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City