Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fourth most important in the nation?
San Francisco 118 25.00%
Washington D.C. 217 45.97%
Boston 63 13.35%
Houston 74 15.68%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:08 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Whatttttt? No crazy people here in Boston.
I think you get the overall feel of how I view this site and how I naturally view Boston in general.

Might not be a nice way of doing it, but at least I can surely say I have been there to judge it.

Also, yeah it is not the 3rd largest downtown by office space just thought I add that in, lol you said "not the third largest CBD" yes it's not by office space. But it could be by land area in which case I am positive Seattle is not larger by square miles of CBD, the others, I do not know it off hand. Might be something I look into though.

Last edited by DANNYY; 08-06-2010 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: Post was way to negative towards a city, had to fix the tone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 03:52 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I don't think it has the 3rd largest office space in downtown. I think that is Philadelphia.

And Boston is possibly the number one place for Medical research, but Houston has the larger Medical Center and the best cancer treatment Hospital in the nation. And TMC is still expanding at a far more rapid rate than anyone can imagine.

You'll get some crazy Boston posters (not all but some) jumping you on your post, so just giving you the heads up. They don't like Houston. And then you'll have some Houston poster saying something that would tick everyone else off. Yeah we've seen this happen before folks.
Really? I don't know who you're talking about, if anyone in particular, but I don't think us Boston posters jump on posts any more than any other group on this site (which I realize isn't saying much). I'm just a little suprised because I read OmShahi complaining about the same thing (aggressive Boston posters), and I started to question if I was the one, because I didn't notice anybody else...

Personally, I didn't care about Houston one way or another before coming on this forum, and now my only concern is that it is discussed too much (both positive and negative). For whatever reason, people who have never been to Houston seem pretty opinionated about it.

As far as the original question goes, I voted DC, and I think that is a pretty solid win. I mean, it is our nation's capital. I think at least deserves to sit with NYC, LA, and Chicago.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:56 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
I think you get the overall feel of how I view this site and how I naturally view Boston in general.

Might not be a nice way of doing it, but at least I can surely say I have been there to judge it.

Also, yeah it is not the 3rd largest downtown by office space just thought I add that in, lol you said "not the third largest CBD" yes it's not by office space. But it could be by land area in which case I am positive Seattle is not larger by square miles of CBD, the others, I do not know it off hand. Might be something I look into though.
Haha, it's all good. I know you don't like Boston but that's totally fine. I don't exactly hate Houston, I just don't like its building style. I used to be a huge Oilers fan when I was a little kid b/c I loved the Run N Shoot (which was why I played receiver in football). As embarrassing as it is, I can actually name every player on their offense with the exception of the center, one guard, and one tackle. Weird.

I will try to find the land area of downtowns...I remember I had a link which showed the workforce population of downtown and downtown square mileage for several cities. Being a density-lover, I remember that Boston is the second densest behind NYC obviously...I guess our downtown is like 1.1 square miles haha. I'll post the link if I find it.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Really? I don't know who you're talking about, if anyone in particular, but I don't think us Boston posters jump on posts any more than any other group on this site (which I realize isn't saying much). I'm just a little suprised because I read OmShahi complaining about the same thing (aggressive Boston posters), and I started to question if I was the one, because I didn't notice anybody else...

Personally, I didn't care about Houston one way or another before coming on this forum, and now my only concern is that it is discussed too much (both positive and negative). For whatever reason, people who have never been to Houston seem pretty opinionated about it.

As far as the original question goes, I voted DC, and I think that is a pretty solid win. I mean, it is our nation's capital. I think at least deserves to sit with NYC, LA, and Chicago.
Huh? I claimed there were aggressive Boston posters before? I changed my name...

Well yeah, you look at it on paper and see 10,000 square miles and then look at your metro and go like "WTF, why can't we have that?" and then the most retarded of the bunch get online to go like "it's only populated because it has 10,000 square miles at it's disposal, when in reality if you add up the most populated counties one of which has 4.1 million or so people it comes out to 4,616 square miles of total square miles with a population of 5.33 million.

And on top of that you have the dumbest people in the world who do not understand how others may or may not like to live their lives and go off their lives to say how everyone else is miserable. Suburbia, auto-centric. It's like yeah I get it, but why the hell do you care, I'm paying for gas and living there, what is it to you?

And agreed, they need to put a cap on Houston threads in general. Dallas too and maybe Atlanta. They come up in literally every thread there is.

I mean if I didn't live in Chicago & Houston both, and was on this site I would probably hate Houston's guts too because it would be "closing in" on my city.

But in perspective I try to stay positive about every place there is, with one city that happens to be an exception.

Quote:
Haha, it's all good. I know you don't like Boston but that's totally fine. I don't exactly hate Houston, I just don't like its building style. I used to be a huge Oilers fan when I was a little kid b/c I loved the Run N Shoot (which was why I played receiver in football). As embarrassing as it is, I can actually name every player on their offense with the exception of the center, one guard, and one tackle. Weird.

I will try to find the land area of downtowns...I remember I had a link which showed the workforce population of downtown and downtown square mileage for several cities. Being a density-lover, I remember that Boston is the second densest behind NYC obviously...I guess our downtown is like 1.1 square miles haha. I'll post the link if I find it.
I don't hate Boston though man, you already know that I actually do want to give the city another chance. I just have incomplete feelings for it, still waiting on a revitalized visit to even say I hate it. One summer school session at BU doesn't mean I know the whole city. I haven't been everywhere there, so it looks dumb hating on a place I don't know. I just don't like what went down, that's it.

I think the land area of downtown will show the actual size downtowns literally are by land area. Office Space doesn't necessarily mean everything, they are important.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:32 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times
Quote:
Huh? I claimed there were aggressive Boston posters before? I changed my name...

Well yeah, you look at it on paper and see 10,000 square miles and then look at your metro and go like "WTF, why can't we have that?" and then the most retarded of the bunch get online to go like "it's only populated because it has 10,000 square miles at it's disposal, when in reality if you add up the most populated counties one of which has 4.1 million or so people it comes out to 4,616 square miles of total square miles with a population of 5.33 million.

And on top of that you have the dumbest people in the world who do not understand how others may or may not like to live their lives and go off their lives to say how everyone else is miserable. Suburbia, auto-centric. It's like yeah I get it, but why the hell do you care, I'm paying for gas and living there, what is it to you?

oh hahah didn't realize you were OmShahi. I don't think you said "agressive", just something about Boston posters jumping on people who said anything about Boston.

But I agree with you. Preaching gets annoying from any angle. Plus, I live in the burbs of Boston and drive plenty so I can't really talk...

Old 08-06-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
oh hahah didn't realize you were OmShahi. I don't think you said "agressive", just something about Boston posters jumping on people who said anything about Boston.

But I agree with you. Preaching gets annoying from any angle. Plus, I live in the burbs of Boston and drive plenty so I can't really talk...
LOL I'm only a 20 year old Asian kid (basically like the youngest one here)... preaching gets beyond annoying. And some other stuff I see on here which I will keep to myself before it offends people of a whole age group altogether.

My reaction to the posts I see: ROFLMFAO, more than half the time.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:17 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times
Quote:
And agreed, they need to put a cap on Houston threads in general. Dallas too and maybe Atlanta. They come up in literally every thread there is.
All in favor of bringing back the new skylines threads, and capping new Houston threads, say aye. Aye!

Old 08-07-2010, 01:54 AM

614 posts, read 1,764,938 times
Quote:
To be fairly honest though, Washington DC is in the top four.
Ik thats why i put it at #4.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:35 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:

I found that study which I referred to earlier. Here's a link to it, and I'll post some info on a few downtowns.

City; Employment Population; Land Area (sq miles); Density

New York City; 1,736,900; 7.82; 222,100
Chicago; 541,500; 3.36; 161,200
Washington DC; 382,400; 2.30; 166,300
San Francisco-San Jose; 305,600; 2.34; 130,600
Boston; 257,000; 1.23; 208,900
Philadelphia; 220,100; 1.71; 128,700

Houston; 153,400; 1.53; 100,300
Atlanta; 129,800; 2.17; 59,800
Dallas-FW; 79,900; 0.67; 119,300

One interesting fact: One-third of all the nation's transit work trips are to the 5 largest downtown areas (NYC, Chi, DC, SF, Bos)

Old 08-09-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I found that study which I referred to earlier. Here's a link to it, and I'll post some info on a few downtowns.

City; Employment Population; Land Area (sq miles); Density

New York City; 1,736,900; 7.82; 222,100
Chicago; 541,500; 3.36; 161,200
Washington DC; 382,400; 2.30; 166,300
San Francisco-San Jose; 305,600; 2.34; 130,600
Boston; 257,000; 1.23; 208,900
Philadelphia; 220,100; 1.71; 128,700

Houston; 153,400; 1.53; 100,300
Atlanta; 129,800; 2.17; 59,800
Dallas-FW; 79,900; 0.67; 119,300

One interesting fact: One-third of all the nation's transit work trips are to the 5 largest downtown areas (NYC, Chi, DC, SF, Bos)
I liked how you left a gap between Houston, Atlanta, & Dallas and the rest of them. LOL, it's fine.

Honestly all of them are smaller than I imaged them to be. Literally puny compared to what I was expecting from them.

EDIT: I had a question, I just scanned over your link. Do they measure the land area of a CBD by only the sector of the CBD where office buildings are at/employment workforce, or the entire "downtown" area which includes residential, shopping, restaurants, and other districts in "downtown" too? If you know. I'm still having such a hard time grasping how tiny New York City & Chicago truly are from what I expected out of them... and the rest of them too.

PS- Thanks for the research and info, you're getting a rate up for this. +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City