Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fourth most important in the nation?
San Francisco 118 25.00%
Washington D.C. 217 45.97%
Boston 63 13.35%
Houston 74 15.68%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:23 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,726,128 times

Advertisements

nothing goin on?

-Third most most populated downtown, behind only NYC and Chi
-One of only three cities with over a mil at over 10,000ppsm, the other two being NYC and Chicago
-Fourth largest urban area
-Fourth largest media market
-Fourth largest GDP
-SEPTA is one of only two U.S. transit authorities that operates all of the five major types of transit vehicles: regional (commuter) rail trains, "heavy" rapid transit (subway/elevated) trains, light rail vehicles (trolleys), electric trolleybuses and motor buses. The other is Boston's Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (which runs ferryboat service as well.
-In the top three for higher education.
-Most historic city
etc.

You could make a strong case for Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

One thing we can agree with would probably be this: that the top 8 most important areas of the country are (in no particular order)- New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington DC, Bay Area, Boston, Houston, & Atlanta.
What about SoFlo, Philly, and Detroit?

most important in this order.
1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. DC
5. Houston
6. Philly
7. Boston
8. Miami
9. DFW
10. Detroit
11. San Jose
12. SanFran

Old 08-13-2010, 02:33 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So I'm curious...why are national news programs televised from New York, Washington and Los Angeles, but not from San Francisco?

YouTube - NBC Nightly News from Los Angeles Open
Television news programs certainly aren't the Bay Area's strong point (it's not really Los Angeles's strong point either; Atlanta should get third; NYC and DC get coverage for obvious reasons). Television in general was never the Bay Area's strong point. However, you did send us a youtube link.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:34 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,464,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
nothing goin on?

-Third most most populated downtown, behind only NYC and Chi
-One of only three cities with over a mil at over 10,000ppsm, the other two being NYC and Chicago
-Fourth largest urban area
-Fourth largest media market
-Fourth largest GDP
-SEPTA is one of only two U.S. transit authorities that operates all of the five major types of transit vehicles: regional (commuter) rail trains, "heavy" rapid transit (subway/elevated) trains, light rail vehicles (trolleys), electric trolleybuses and motor buses. The other is Boston's Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (which runs ferryboat service as well.
-In the top three for higher education.
-Most historic city
etc.

You could make a strong case for Philly.
You might be able to make a strong case for Philly, but the only thing you've proven is that it's big. We've already said that while GDPs are important, they aren't the be-all, end-all of the "importance" discussion. You're totally forgetting to mentino the fact that Philadelphia is a pharma powerhouse and is currently ranked the #2 life sciences center in the nation. They just jumped the Bay Area last year, but still trail Boston.

Quote:

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. DC
5. Houston
6. Philly
7. Boston
8. Miami
9. DFW
10. Detroit
11. San Jose
12. SanFran
Your anti-Bay Area attitude is bordering on pathetic.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:35 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

One thing we can agree with would probably be this: that the top 8 most important areas of the country are (in no particular order)- New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington DC, Bay Area, Boston, Houston, & Atlanta.
Do you feel Miami, Philadelphia, and Detroit are arguable cases?

Old 08-13-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
You might be able to make a strong case for Philly, but the only thing you've proven is that it's big.

Your anti-Bay Area attitude is bordering on pathetic.
I'm not anti-bay. The bay area has three seperate cities, so why do bay area boosters put the entire area into comparisons with single cities.

6,625 posts, read 14,464,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I've always wondered: what does Miami bring to the table besides the connections to Latin America? (Not that the Latin American connection isn't important) I feel like basically all its importance comes from cultural influence and being the US HQ for Latin companies.

Why does that mean it should be put into the same category as Boston, SF, Houston, or Atlanta in terms of national importance?

Can we finally just write off Detroit? The American auto-industry is on life support and that appears to be all Detroit has to offer...

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times
Quote:

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. DC
5. Houston
6. Philly
7. Boston
8. Miami
9. DFW
10. Detroit
11. San Jose
12. SanFran
Well, for one thing, you forgot Atlanta; their boosters will be sure to remind you..so you can forget about Detroit as #10...

This thread has been done to death already......it was debated a year ago..

Old 08-13-2010, 02:43 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
Quote:
In certain aspects yes. But I am thinking more into a global stratosphere.

Miami- Latin American nations, has absolutely small connections to Asian economic powerhouses & weak on European economic activities.

Detroit- They have a good amount of influence still and they rightfully should, economically they still put up a large output, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Their sphere of influence has been diminishing as the years go by.

Philadelphia- I feel they are a large regional power, but they don't have that appeal to say Asia, Europe, Latin America as many of their competitors do. They have a good pharmacy base, but again, IMO I don't see them being global powers now or the future.

And all that may sound harsh, but honestly it's my opinion, take it with a grain of salt, and we should all be fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Boston, what separates it from Philadelphia is it's global involvement in finance, and global involvement in education and medical research among the top in the world. Boston is also one of the most connected cities to it's European counterparts, which is a strong connection to have.

Houston, Latin America's gateway cargo port, projections of port activity increasing by 27% after the 2014 Panama Canal extension goes through, and number one trader with Latin America, and has exponentially increased trade with China as well due to lower costs.
Oil & Gas leads connections to Middle Eastern nations like United Arab Emirates and how much collaboration they have. There are some from U.A.E who have been investing in real estate in Houston lately as well, one has a project lined up for a supertall but it's only in the pre-proposal stages. So there are a lot of real estate and oil & gas connections there.

Just my opinion though. I think more about Present- Future than Past- Present. I guess it's because I don't like history all that much and the old news bores me, old accomplishments bore me, I want to see the new and whats going to happen more than what already has. Places with an increase in strength interest me more. But I do also hope Detroit bounces back on its feet and stabilizes, that is something I would love to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I've always wondered: what does Miami bring to the table besides the connections to Latin America? (Not that the Latin American connection isn't important) I feel like basically all its importance comes from cultural influence and being the US HQ for Latin companies.

Why does that mean it should be put into the same category as Boston, SF, Houston, or Atlanta in terms of national importance?

Can we finally just write off Detroit? The American auto-industry is on life support and that appears to be all Detroit has to offer...
Actually no dude, Detroit has some strong connections to Asia. I learned form LAnative10 actually they output more than DFW & Houston when it comes to Asian flight services and it is because of the auto-industry.

I do agree though Detroit is a diminishing force but presently I feel it still deserves top 10. More than Miami at least.

And YES! Finally someone that agrees with me on Miami economically!

Old 08-13-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Yes. South Florida is an economic powerhouse. Even though the city of Detroit has fallen far its metro is still very significant. Philly's cultural and economic impact is obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City