Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fourth most important in the nation?
San Francisco 118 25.00%
Washington D.C. 217 45.97%
Boston 63 13.35%
Houston 74 15.68%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:41 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Maybe 5 miles (probably closer to 10 miles) east of the outer loop (or the tollway) at least 20-25 miles from Downtown Houston. Re-affirms my point actually when I went back to the map, there are areas that would be within the outer loop or tollway in relative distance that are excluded from the Philly MSA, Pasadena would be miles into what the census considers the next MSA here. It is beyond rediculous

The Woodlands are further than what the census considers 4 seperate MSAs here
You try, but you really don't know what you're talking about here. The Port of Houston starts just a couple of miles east of Downtown. The original Port of Houston (now Allen's Landing), is basically in Downtown. And The Woodlands to Downtown is about 30 miles apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 11:52 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
You try, but you really don't know what you're talking about here. The Port of Houston starts just a couple of miles east of Downtown. The original Port of Houston (now Allen's Landing), is basically in Downtown. And The Woodlands to Downtown is about 30 miles apart.
Yes 30 miles and the part a few miles east is where the bulk of port activities take place? seriously?

And what is basically downtown? walking distance? If the vast majority of shipping for Houston is downtown (so please correct me if that is the case) then I will admit my error but Galveston and Woodlands are also areas that people associated with Houston from what I understand, again my point there are major areas in half that distance that are excluded here.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:08 PM

According to Wiki Morgan's point is the busiest part of the Port of Houston. it appears to be 20-25 miles from downtown Houston best I can tell

Port of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-16-2010, 01:31 PM

882 posts, read 2,246,335 times
Quote:
According to Wiki Morgan's point is the busiest part of the Port of Houston. it appears to be 20-25 miles from downtown Houston best I can tell

Port of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Still, that is just one part of the massive Port of Houston, specifically one of the 5 major general cargo ternimals.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Still, that is just one part of the massive Port of Houston, specifically one of the 5 major general cargo ternimals.
ok, and after reading the vast majority of activity is closer to this area and baytown, even part of the old Glaveston port but again would you agree strongly apart of the Houston Economy? areas that far are just cut off here which was my original point, they are part of the everyday here but just dismissed by the census cuts, really the point. I guess as tiresome as our (or mine spefically are) are the notion that Houston surpassed Philadephia is annoying, in real life Houston is still considerably smaller so it gets annoying hearing everybody discuss, there are literally over a million people here closer than the woodlands that the census just excludes, and about 600K as close (literally 11 miles) or closer than Pasadena, it is just so odd how they count the people, especially when a number of them were moved on a technicality (Yes the interplay with NYC based on the census is 1/3rd that of Philly but they still moved anyway) to qualify for a COL increase adjusted for those who made the decision

btw - the boat tour does look cool given by the port authority, may check it out next time I am in Houston

Old 08-16-2010, 02:47 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,846,008 times
Quote:
Maybe 5 miles (probably closer to 10 miles) east of the outer loop (or the tollway) at least 20-25 miles from Downtown Houston.
Um... no. It starts approx 5 miles east of DOWNTOWN but extends another 20+ miles.

Why do people pretend to be experts in something they are not? You are even getting the Loop and Tollway mixed up, they aren't the same thing! LOL...

Old 08-16-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Um... no. It starts approx 5 miles east of DOWNTOWN but extends another 20+ miles.

Why do people pretend to be experts in something they are not? You are even getting the Loop and Tollway mixed up, they aren't the same thing! LOL...

No I have them correct and the vast majority of Port operations are on the other side of the Tollway, not the loop

Old 08-16-2010, 08:10 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
Quote:
No I have them correct and the vast majority of Port operations are on the other side of the Tollway, not the loop
What does it matter where the vast majority of operations are (and the Tollway and East Loop are NOT the same thing)?? The Port of Houston still starts just a few miles east of Downtown.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:27 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Washington isnt a city in the true sense of the word, rather its a governmental inbred commune where million dollar museums and billion + trillion dollar federal contracts are handed out with shocking regularity. It's a joke to compare Washington to a historical selfmade juggernaut like Philadelphia. Washington shouldnt be the capitol . Washington is nothing but a stage prop for all the history that happened in real cities such as Philadelphia New York Boston and Baltimore. This is a travesty what is going on in DC with Ivory Castle mentality. Go build another $300 M dollar museum in DC while cities that built this country like Detroit,Flint and Toledo crumble in ruins. Unbelievable.
My God this is the epitome of jealousy and sour grapes.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
What does it matter where the vast majority of operations are (and the Tollway and East Loop are NOT the same thing)?? The Port of Houston still starts just a few miles east of Downtown.

Yes I know, the inner loop is I believe 610 and the tollaway is further (I said Tollway in reference to the busiest part of the port which is the eastern side of Pasadena, that would be outside the tollway, correct?)

Matter, it is the point, the economic activities added are 25 miles away (well the majority of port activity is) and is the point where other metros have majors dollars and populataion excluded at that distance.

Is the premis I believe the Census and related GMP for Philly are under-respresented by 33% based on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City