Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Boston 72 63.72%
DC 41 36.28%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 02:04 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The basic facts:

Washington, DC population: 601,723
Boston population: 617,594

Washington, DC land area: 61.4 sq. miles
Boston land area: 48.4 sq. miles

Washington, DC population density: 9,800
Boston population density: 12,752

1. Boston is teritorially smaller than Washington, DC, but yet has more people.

2. Boston is denser than Washington, DC by nearly 3,000 people per square mile. That's significantly larger than the gap between Washington, DC and Los Angeles. Density-wise, DC is actually far closer to L.A. (9,800 vs. 8,000) than it is to Boston (12,752 vs. 9,800).

What else could be argued here? Seriously? If a city has more people AND it's denser by about more than 3,000 people per square mile, how could it not be more urban?

You are not taking into account the miles of unobstructed monotonous canyons

IMG_4207 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/venthara/2655414575/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 02:06 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The basic facts:

Washington, DC population: 601,723
Boston population: 617,594

Washington, DC land area: 61.4 sq. miles
Boston land area: 48.4 sq. miles

Washington, DC population density: 9,800
Boston population density: 12,752

1. Boston is teritorially smaller than Washington, DC, but yet has more people.

2. Boston is denser than Washington, DC by nearly 3,000 people per square mile. That's significantly larger than the gap between Washington, DC and Los Angeles. Density-wise, DC is actually far closer to L.A. (9,800 vs. 8,000) than it is to Boston (12,752 vs. 9,800).

What else could be argued here? Seriously? If a city has more people AND it's denser by about more than 3,000 people per square mile, how could it not be more urban?
Because nobody is arguing about people. Im talking about buildings. Where have you been the last 25 pages of this thread? If I constantly talk about buildings and construction and you constantly talk about people, it's obvious we are talking about two different things. I judge urbanity by structural build out.

-How much grass and open space is there
-How close are buildings to the street
-How many trees are there not counting urban sidewalk trees which is fine in my opinion.
-How long a distance is the height of buildings maintained (urban canyons)
-How big is the area
-How much infill the area requires
-etc.
-etc.
-etc.

One of the problems for an area like Tyson's Corner is even though it's going to get a ton of highrises and a huge population, it will never have urban canyons because it's not on a grid. Urban canyons are the benchmark for urbanity in my opinion.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Because nobody is arguing about people. Im talking about buildings. Where have you been the last 25 pages of this thread? If I constantly talk about buildings and construction and you constantly talk about people, it's obvious we are talking about two different things. I judge urbanity by structural build out.

-How much grass and open space is there - Probably more in DC from what I can tell, but I do like trees, especially when they can be integrated into urban areas
-How close are buildings to the street -Bostons are far closer
-How many trees are there not counting urban sidewalk trees which is fine in my opinion. - Stopped counting at three in both cities
-How long is the height of buildings maintained - Boston has diversity in architecture - so now urbanity has to be all one height?
-How big is the area - Both feel pretty large
-How much infill the area requires - Neither needs significant infill, hell they even bury whole highways in Boston
-etc.
-etc.
-etc.

For above

Old 10-19-2011, 02:13 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:

-How many trees are there not counting urban sidewalk trees which is fine in my opinion.
-How big is the area
-etc.
-etc.
-etc.

One of the problems for an area like Tyson's Corner is even though it's going to get a ton of highrises and a huge population, it will never have urban canyons because it's not on a grid. Urban canyons are the benchmark for urbanity in my opinion.
so London, UK isn't urban i guess.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
For above
I never said they need to be the same height. Just uniform at street level. Breaks in uniformity takes away from the urban feel. Example, 50 story skyscraper next to a two story building. Nothing urban about that. Eight 50 story skyscrapers in a row, extremely urban if they are next two each other with out space between them.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:15 PM

32,109 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:

-How big is the area
-etc.
-etc.
-etc.
You keep changing your standard. Just earlier today, you said that you judged urbanity by the number of "highrises." Then you provided a link that was questionable because it provided the most recent data for Washington, DC but provided data for Boston from eleven years ago. Even if we were to go by this most recent standard of yours, Boston would still come out ahead because (1) there are no huge open spaces akin to the Mall; (2) the streets are tighter than DC's and the buildings are closer to the street; and (3) Boston has "urban canyons" extending from the Financial District (which is the "downtown") all the way through Back Bay and the South End (which are more or less the residential sections of downtown). Your only counter to the Back Bay's highrises were (1) they are not made out of concrete and (2) they are not office buildings. That's a pretty weak counter.

Boston for the win!

http://www.backbaypress.com/images/aerial-real-06.jpg

Old 10-19-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
so London, UK isn't urban i guess.
London is very urban. Full of urban canyons.

london - Google Maps

Old 10-19-2011, 02:17 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Who says urban canyons have to be on a grid? Boston has plenty and it's not on a grid. Btownboss mentioned London, which also has many. So does Paris and many other low-rise cities.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:22 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
You are not taking into account the miles of unobstructed monotonous canyons

IMG_4207 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/venthara/2655414575/ - broken link)
WTF? Where is that?

Old 10-19-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I never said they need to be the same height. Just uniform at street level. Breaks in uniformity takes away from the urban feel. Example, 50 story skyscraper next to a two story building. Nothing urban about that. Eight 50 story skyscrapers in a row, extremely urban if they are next two each other with out space between them.

but without breaks, the two story structure is likely connected to the next. So what is the threshold, 4 stories, 6 stories

You make rules for the benefit of DC, we get it you like (actually I like DC too) but there aspects of urbanity beyond some form fittig rules. From that perspective places without skyscrapers could be a rule, why not (silly to me but hey why not))

So is this block not urban? it has two story structures

philadelphia pa - Google Maps

or this one?

or this one? (Because I am just curious)

or this one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City