Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Boston 72 63.72%
DC 41 36.28%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 02:00 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Meh....it's no different than this neighborhood in Boston is with a density over 80,000 people per square mile at 7:00 a.m. in the morning which is probably when the google truck drove through these neighborhoods.

Boston ma - Google Maps
But weren't you trying to exclude these 80,000 ppsm, 85,000 ppsm and 110,000 ppsm tracts of Boston from the urban core? Why should we include something with considerably less density as part of the urban core, and those other parts not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 02:07 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's what the Onion is. Started in Madison*, moved its offices to New York City. You can find free copies of The Onion on streets of Manhattan.

*Madison doesn't have 5k, but to a New Yorker it might as well.

The article's impression of Boston seems fairly accurate for those used to New York City. Years ago, I traveled there with my mom and she kept gushing how different it was — clean, uncrowded, non-gritty, civillized, is this a real city? I remember in high school, it seemed like Boston was the locals' favorite city.
Yeah I know, the entire time I lived there it felt like a "make-believe" big city. One time when we first moved to Boston my wife mentioned to a local that she though Boston was a cool town. He promptly corrected her "It's a city."

Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yeah I know, the entire time I lived there it felt like a "make-believe" big city. One time when we first moved to Boston my wife mentioned to a local that she though Boston was a cool town. He promptly corrected her "It's a city."
It feels like a town.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:21 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Haha what a douche! Before moving into the actual city of Boston, it was pretty common for my friends and I to say "you wanna go into town tonight?"

Old 04-09-2013, 02:22 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It feels like a town.
Sorry I couldn't resist.

http://www.moviepostershop.com/the-t...ie-poster-2010

Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
But weren't you trying to exclude these 80,000 ppsm, 85,000 ppsm and 110,000 ppsm tracts of Boston from the urban core? Why should we include something with considerably less density as part of the urban core, and those other parts not?

My response addressed this guy thinking he could get a general sense of pedestrian traffic through Google street view lol.......

Some people don't realize that Google street view is only good for seeing buildings and has nothing to do with how much street traffic a neighborhood has.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 AM

580 posts, read 1,180,335 times
Boston is such a cute little New England town. When I was leaving I wanted to take the entire city, put it in my back pocket and fold it up to take back home with me. So cute.

Even though Boston is small they still crush DC. DC is dead after 7 pm when everyone gets off work or hitting the buffets. Yes, I said buffets, I never understood their obsession for them!

In the end my vote is for Boston even though neither are truly urban.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:10 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Boston is such a cute little New England town. When I was leaving I wanted to take the entire city, put it in my back pocket and fold it up to take back home with me. So cute.

Even though Boston is small they still crush DC. DC is dead after 7 pm when everyone gets off work or hitting the buffets. Yes, I said buffets, I never understood their obsession for them!

Could you please post some examples of buffets in DC proper? Never seen one. You clearly described the suburbs just now. Lol......

Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post

Boston and DC are two of the most urban cities in the US.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:38 AM

725 posts, read 1,210,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Boston and DC are two of the most urban cities in the US.
SF and Philly crushes both. SF for core extremely dense. Philly for a long stretch of land heavily urban. I personally think both outdo Chicago on desity, and I there border were the same as Chi's they would all the same pop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City