Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:29 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,650 times

Advertisements

I'm going to have to go with:

Football: Texas
Hockey: Minnesota
Baseball: New York
Basketball: Indiana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 11:10 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
Football: Florida (Could be Texas too, but Florida has more recent championships)
Hockey: Michigan (The Wild can't compare to the Wings)
Baseball: NY
Basketball: California (4 pro teams)

Old 08-01-2009, 12:56 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Football: Texas for H.S. Football, Ohio for college and hall of fame
Baseball: New York for Yankees, and hall of fame
Basketball: Illinois is the first one that comes to mind because of the Bulls, and California for the Lakers, also Mass. for the Celtics, Hall of Fame, and where it was invented
Hockey: Michigan
Soccer: No U.S. state, except maybe California or Florida, maybe New Jersey

Old 08-01-2009, 03:04 AM

763 posts, read 1,298,919 times
I say California for baseball. They always have college teams inthe college world series, the Dodgers are very popular there and the major leagues are loaded with Californians on teams rosters

For football, it is a tie between Texas and Florida. Several very successful college teams from each, high schools in the national rankings and many NFL players are from either state.

For basketball, North carolina

For hockey, tie between Michigan, Minnesota, and NY

Old 08-01-2009, 04:04 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Football: Florida (Could be Texas too, but Florida has more recent championships)
Hockey: Michigan (The Wild can't compare to the Wings)
Baseball: NY
Basketball: California (4 pro teams)
What do championships have to do with what state a sport is biggest in?

Old 08-01-2009, 06:44 AM

115 posts, read 266,596 times
For Football, Pennsylvania is right up there with Texas. Florida isn't even on the same board as those two. Just do some research on Penn State, Pitt, The PIAA & WPIAL and see how many greats have come out of these programs. Not to mention, Penn State has won more bowls than any other program - ever.

JoePA - Greatest Football Coach ever.

Pitt - Many big time NFL greats have come out of that school. (70's and 80's especially)

Western PA is a football powerhouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post

Old 08-01-2009, 07:23 AM

34 posts, read 137,193 times
Ca =Basketball

Old 08-01-2009, 07:30 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post

I really only know football and in Pennsylvania and Florida; it's the favorite "big" sport. The fans are also pretty loyal to their teams in both states but Pennsylvania draws larger crowds.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:56 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Basketball = KY

We used to always beat Indiana in the all-star games.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:01 AM

815 posts, read 2,137,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Football: Texas for H.S. Football, Ohio for college and hall of fame
Baseball: New York for Yankees, and hall of fame
Basketball: Illinois is the first one that comes to mind because of the Bulls, and California for the Lakers, also Mass. for the Celtics, Hall of Fame, and where it was invented
Hockey: Michigan
Soccer: No U.S. state, except maybe California or Florida, maybe New Jersey

Aside from Canton being in Ohio I have no clue why you put that one on there. Ohio State and the Big 10 are so overrated in football it's not funny. I saw Ohio State's schedule for this upcoming season yesterday on ESPN and I actually laughed out loud, it never ceases to amaze me how a team with such a cream puff easy schedule can be consistently ranked in the top 25. Seriously, the Univ of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) has a tougher schedule than Ohio State, but yet the Buckeyes always seem to find their way into the spotlight because they are the media darlings. But the proof is in the pudding, every time they have to play a SEC or Big 12 team they are exposed for the slow, non football players that they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City