Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Metro has the Best Shopping?
New York Metropolitan Area 81 54.36%
Los Angeles Metropolitan Area 30 20.13%
Chicago Metropolitan Area 12 8.05%
Other 26 17.45%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:59 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
1. New York

2. Los Angeles

everywhere else especially Vegas, Miami, bay area
I think the Bay is the best for food, produce, meat, stuff like that. We can do that cheaper without sacrificing quality or exoticness than anywhere I've found. When I was living in LA, I actually found that exotic foods that I wanted were actually more expensive than up north. I also found that the quality wasnt the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 03:59 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
If Chicago has a wholesale/garment district like NY and LA than I agree. Otherwise, sorry. Its just not the same.

For example, I'm going to Downtown Los Angeles tomorrow morning to do some major shopping for our family reunion next week. We're buying everything from tall skinny vases for centerpieces to fabric to plates to drinking glasses to tiki torches to volleyball nets to DJ equipment etc.

All at about 10% of what it would cost me anywhere else BUT NYC.

I think that's what separates NY and LA from everywhere else. You can get literally anything at the cheapest price possible short of smuggling it in from China-LOL
You might have a point, I'm pretty sure Chicago does as well, perhaps one of our Chicago locals can shine some light on the subject. Good point I'm interested to find out.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:00 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I think the Bay is the best for food, produce, meat, stuff like that. We can do that cheaper without sacrificing quality or exoticness than anywhere I've found. When I was living in LA, I actually found that exotic foods that I wanted were actually more expensive than up north. I also found that the quality wasnt the same.
California produce is great and I must admit I miss it...(I'm a Chef).

Old 08-14-2009, 04:07 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KareemEverlasting View Post
NYC, not just because of all the stores but also all the people and vendors selling wares that fell off the truck.

Heres a guy selling Zenga and Armani suits at Union Square for $20.

They sell the stuff that fell off the truck? I thought they stole it and that's why it's cheaper on the street Or a knock-off (like in Chinatown).

Old 08-14-2009, 04:13 PM

48 posts, read 38,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
They sell the stuff that fell off the truck? I thought they stole it and that's why it's cheaper on the street Or a knock-off (like in Chinatown).

The guy that was selling it called himself Angelo and he said it fell off the truck.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:15 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Quote:
NYC, not just because of all the stores but also all the people and vendors selling wares that fell off the truck.

Heres a guy selling Zenga and Armani suits at Union Square for $20.
Haha, yeah right! And I suppose he's got a great deal on the Williamsburg Bridge too, eh?

Anyways, besides the great faux suits and Prada bags selling everywhere, you can buy a $3 kebab, socks for $1, $1 thai curry rice, $3 umbrellas and T shirts 10 for 10 on the street right around the corner from the REAL Prada and Armanis!

Old 08-14-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
The guy that was selling it called himself Angelo and he said it fell off the truck.

Nah...that's what they all say We know the truth though.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:21 PM

48 posts, read 38,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Nah...that's what they all say We know the truth though.

You saw him steal it?

Old 08-14-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
You saw him steal it?

It's either a knock-off of they stole it. It's pretty obvious, because why would they admit in public, on a crowded street where there are cops, that they stole it? I work in the south Bronx, and I see this go on everyday. Sometimes it's stolen from the trucks of stores driving through, sometimes from people. A lot of the time it's gang members doing it. The people who do this illegal business are called hustlers.

There was a movie made about this. Check out this one scene of how slick they are--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P62SIzdHtRs

Last edited by Rachael84; 08-14-2009 at 04:35 PM..

Old 08-14-2009, 04:27 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,713 times
This shoud be limited to city proper, since 'burbs are 'burbs and they are all clones of one another. Thus, my vote goes to Chicago for having the Mag Mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City