Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore, MD or Oakland, CA?
Oakland 51 36.69%
Baltimore 88 63.31%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:51 PM

330 posts, read 877,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Um, okay.

I think its awesome to travel to far off places at least once a year-maybe once every two years. Planning is part of the fun. If cost is an issue, then save up. We owe it to ourselves to see this big world.

btw, there are no winners in this discussion-we debate and argue and now I know how popular DC is--didnt know it had that many visitors.

As far as Baltimore and Oakland-can we swap football teams?
You've seen the lists I referenced several times on this forum. So it surprises me to hear you indicate that you didn't know that.

My favorite NFL team is the 49ers. LOL. I grew up with them when they were the team and I can't get them out of my system and it's been painful for the last few years. To answer your question about swapping Baltimore and Oakland. Ummm...No. But 49ers will always be my team. I hate the Washington Deadskins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 08:54 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
You've seen the lists I referenced several times on this forum. So it surprises me to hear you indicate that you didn't know that.
I don't remember seeing DCs numbers for visitors.

Quote:
My favorite NFL team is the 49ers. LOL. I grew up with them when they were the team and I can't get them out of my system and it's been painful for the last few years. To answer your question about swapping Baltimore and Oakland. Ummm...No. But 49ers will always be my team. I hate the Washington Deadskins.
the 49ers are my time too-I grew up on them and the Raiders came back when I was in Brazil and so I don't feel any connection to them.

Can we at give you Al Davis? For free?

Please?

LOL

Old 09-19-2009, 09:03 PM

330 posts, read 877,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I don't remember seeing DCs numbers for visitors.

the 49ers are my time too-I grew up on them and the Raiders came back when I was in Brazil and so I don't feel any connection to them.

Can we at give you Al Davis? For free?

Please?

LOL
LOL! I'll swap Al Davis anytime for the Redskins Dan Snyder. This guy Dan Snyder sued season ticket holders who couldn't pay for their season tickets because of the bad economy. You would think you would just sell those tickets to others, but this guy Dan decides to sue and sell their seats.

Anyway...back to the thread topic...and talk to you on another thread or maybe this one again...

Old 09-19-2009, 10:13 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
LOL! I'll swap Al Davis anytime for the Redskins Dan Snyder. This guy Dan Snyder sued season ticket holders who couldn't pay for their season tickets because of the bad economy. You would think you would just sell those tickets to others, but this guy Dan decides to sue and sell their seats.

Anyway...back to the thread topic...and talk to you on another thread or maybe this one again...
okay ciao!

Old 09-20-2009, 11:12 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,735 times
For the record DC hasn't been the murder capital since the 1980's. I don't know why everybody's lambasting DC. SF is one of the best cities in the country, and honestly if I wasn't living here I would consider living in SF or Seattle. However, DC is definitely the same class as SF. Both DC and SF are one of the top 5 wealthiest (large) cities in the country in terms of income, and both attract numerous tourists. DC may not be the international hub SF is, since NY takes that role on this coast, but it is still an excellent place to live. Anyway isn't this board Balty vs Oakland?

Old 09-20-2009, 11:59 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
This is flat out outragous!

One of DC's claim to fame is being known as the "murder capital" of the US.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Washington,_D.C.
Way to make yourself sound stupid. How does 130 murders in one year qualify a city of 600k to be the murder capital? You can't form your opinion on a city based on 20-year-old stats. Crime isn't any worse in DC as it is in SF.

18Montclair... I usually like a lot of your posts on this site and think that you usually have decent opinions. However, I think that you sound a bit ridiculous with some of your posts on this thread. San Francisco is an amazing city. It is easily one of my favorite in the country. In a different league than DC though? Definitely not. DC is probably the most improved city in the country in the past 10 years. Have you been here recently? It's a lot more than government buildings. Many sources are even starting to call the city "Hollywood of the East Coast" due to all of the movies and tv shows being filmed here. I think five of the 10 richest counties in the country are located in the DC Metro area. Most of the city is extremely cosmopolitan and very vibrant. The public transportation is top notch. The city is absolutely beautiful. It may not have skyscrapers, but it's very unique. It was designed by a French man after Paris. Many people have a skewed opinion on the city because they either have never been here, or they haven't been here recently.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:31 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
^^^^I agree, I used to live in Silver Spring about 10-11 years ago and I loved DC back then, everything was new and modern to me coming from NYC (especially the Subway), the schools were great, etc.

We went back last Summer and I was taken a way by how much is going on, I saw a huge crane on every other block, there's a lot of new modern buildings going up, I never thought of DC as dangerous (not 10 years ago or in 2008), I love DC a whole lot it just continues to improve.

I also love DC's relatively low-rise modern architecture, it makes it unique.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:18 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
^^^^I agree, I used to live in Silver Spring about 10-11 years ago and I loved DC back then, everything was new and modern to me coming from NYC (especially the Subway), the schools were great, etc.

We went back last Summer and I was taken a way by how much is going on, I saw a huge crane on every other block, there's a lot of new modern buildings going up, I never thought of DC as dangerous (not 10 years ago or in 2008), I love DC a whole lot it just continues to improve.

I also love DC's relatively low-rise modern architecture, it makes it unique.
Yeah, Silver Spring has been going under massive revitilzation for the past 7 or so years (not that it was terrible in the first place). The downtown has been totally transformed with dozens of new luxury condo towers, very modern Montgomery College expansion buildings, the new Discovery Communications headquarters, new retail and restaurants, and a new Arts District. Plus a new transit center, hotel tower, music hall, and library are under contruction., and a new Purple Line Light Rail system will supplement the exising Metro (subway) and MARC (commuter rail) systems.

Granted Silver Spring is in Maryland (although right on the border with DC), but similar devlopment is happening in DC such as in NoMa, Columbia Heights, and Penn Quarter. Only SE DC is "dangerous" and even there gentrification is occuring (albeit with limited success) near the new ballpark. Of course Georgetown, Chevy Chase, Adams Morgan, and other neighbourhoods in NW have always been perfectly safe.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:46 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Way to make yourself sound stupid.
Okay I'm sorry, I'm good with much of what you said in your post, but some of this is completely off. Especially considering you're calling out another poster for supposedly "sounding stupid."
Quote:
How does 130 murders in one year qualify a city of 600k to be the murder capital? You can't form your opinion on a city based on 20-year-old stats.
Well for starters, where were you when this guy was naming off about 25 or so DC hoods as being the most dangerous in the nation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative1990 View Post
-Uptown D.C. (NW)- (Georgia Ave, 14th Street.Columbia Heights, Kennedy Street, Sursum Corda projects, 7th and O street projects.

-Northeast D.C.-Kenilworth, Lincoln Heights, Marfair, Saratoga Rd, Montana Ave, Riggs Park, Michigan Park, Clay Terrace, Trinidad, Langston Dwellings

-Southeast D.C. Lench Mob (Woodland), Livingston Road, Alabama Ave, Savannah Terrace, Condon Terrace, Choppa city (Good Hope Road), Potomac Gardens, 37th street, simple city (46th and Benning Road)
...or when this guy came out with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Washington DC was the murder capital in the 90's, 400 murders a year in a city proper of 600,000, crack epidemic hit the whole East Coast hard.
And for the record, I don't believe "130 murders" from "20 years ago" was what ANYONE was thinking of whenever they've mentioned DC as having been the murder capitol of the US. The last time DC had less than 130 murders was in 1963! 20 years ago DC had 434 murders; maybe they are talking about that instead? Or maybe how it had 482 murders in 1991?

District of Columbia Crime Rates 1960 - 2008

Its so crazy how depending on who you talk to from the NE, or in some cases what kind of mood those people are in at a given moment, the cities there are either completely safe or they're 3rd world war zones. I wish some of you would finally settle on reality and just tell it the way it is. I'm glad at least there are plenty that can do this, I just wish the rest of you would finally get on board.

Quote:
Crime isn't any worse in DC as it is in SF.
Why say something we all know isn't even close to true? Seriously? DC isn't any worse than SF? The place Chris Rock referred to as "Crackylvania?" If you'd said Oakland you would have been correct, but SF obviously has way less crime than DC. It may not be nearly as safe as its reputed to be, but it doesn't have crime on DC's level. Don't just talk nonsense without even looking at the reality. Please. DC makes the list of the top 25 most dangerous cities in the US year after year. SF is never on that list.

Annual violent crime rates per 100,000 residents:

Washington, DC

violent crimes: 13.27
chances of becoming a victim: 1 in 75
murder: 35
rape: 39
robbery: 560
assault: 694

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

SF

violent crimes: 7.44
chances of becoming a victim: 1 in 134
murder: 11
rape: 20
robbery: 394
assault: 320

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

How are you even going to try and make such a ridiculous claim? Crime in DC is significantly worse year after year. SF is a larger city and its highest total of murders ever was around 160.

Quote:
I think five of the 10 richest counties in the country are located in the DC Metro area.
True. And that's cool for DC. But if you're going to compare these 5 counties to Bay Area counties it should be noted that 2 of them have less than 300,000 people, another has around 385,000 and only one of them barely exceeds 1 million residents. Most of the Bay Area's 9 counties are much larger (5 have populations over 700,000 and only 2 are below 400,000), yet 3 of them made the top 20 with one in the top 10, having populations of 1.76 million, 712,000, and 249,000.

And since we're looking at this, it should also be noted that the Bay Area has 5 of the top 20 highest income places in the US with populations over 1,000, 3 of which are in the top 10 (Belvedere being #1), while DC's metro has none. Additionally, the Bay has 5 of the top 20 highest income places in the US with at least 1,000 households, again with 3 in the top 10 (Atherton ranking #2) and zero in DC.

Both Atherton, CA and Hillsborough, CA (which are located in San Mateo County/the SF Peninsula) rank among the wealthiest towns with larger populations. Atherton is the largest city with a median income in excess of $200,000, with a population of 7,210. And Hillsborough has the highest median income ($193,157) of any place with a population greater than 10,000.

Highest-income places in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Most of the city is extremely cosmopolitan and very vibrant.
How cosmopolitan is it really being 56% black and 36% white? 92% of its population is either black or white, and although there can be some variations in ethnicities within these two races, that doesn't make for an "extremely cosmopolitan" city. Definitely not on the level of SF, and I would say the same goes for its vibrancy.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 07:38 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 07:18 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Oakland is great, but Baltimore holds so much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City