Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
A self-imposed reputation by Texans on themselves is different than the type of global prestige and recognition that NYC has.

The absolute title of which city in the "greatest in the world" is of course, subjective, but it is based on real criteria out of which NYC consistently averages amongst the highest in the world on in every survey/study of world's greatest cities. This remarkable objective consistency goes beyond the subjectivity of any individual criterion. I never see Houston

Heck, even school grades can be subjective but that doesn't mean that you can't determine who the best students are from them. The very "best students" will still consistently score high marks (they may every now and then get a "B".. or a "bad" teacher might give them a higher or lower grade than they deserve) overall relative to "average" students. Even in subjectivity, there are trends and consistent patterns that show up over and over again.
I could careless if Houston was the "Best City in the World". It's still subjective and that title feeds off what's portrayed in the media.

Your going to tell me people didn't use to flock to NYC because is was always publicized as the city of dreams? (If you can make it in NYC, you can make it anywhere). NYC was once maybe considered the Best City in the World; however, it pretty much subjective now. Especially with so many other cities emerging into their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 AM

315 posts, read 666,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Your going to tell me people didn't use to flock to NYC because is was always publicized as the city of dreams? (If you can make it in NYC, you can make it anywhere).
And people still flock there. NYC recovered from its temporary lull in the 70's ad 80's and people from all over the world have been moving there in record numbers ever since. In fact, whereas many major US cities have been losing population (with exceptions like Houston, LA, New Orleans..etc), NYC continues to thrive and it is actually more populous than it ever has been any time in its past. In terms of raw numbers of people coming in (not percentage), NYC continues to draw more people than any US city.

Big Apple Bigger Still With Largest Population Gain: Census

And, yes, it is true that NYC is a difficult place to make things happen but the rewards are great. -- It is certainly true that if you you can make it there, you can make it anywhere!

Quote:
I could careless if Houston was the "Best City in the World". It's still subjective and that title feeds off what's portrayed in the media.
Again, the title portrayed in the media is based off of NYC's accomplishments (both present and past). NYC's fame didn't just form out of a vaccuum nor was it part of some planned NYC-loving media conspiracy.

Quote:
NYC was once maybe considered the Best City in the World; however, it pretty much subjective now. Especially with so many other cities emerging into their own.
Not subjective enough where NYC would be ranked below podunk, USA in a greatest cities survey. LOL!

NYC has been considered the best or one of the best cities in the world today, yesterday, and for the foreseeable future. This hasn't changed. As to who is absolute #1 that's ALWAYS been debatable (remember my analogy about the valedictorian?) but there is no doubt that NYC continues to be one of the prominent cities in the world, with many studies as well as normal folks still considering it the best today. And only few would realistically argue against NYC being the best, most important city in the US.
The only difference in present times is that there are more cities now that can compete with NYC than there were 40 or 50 years ago.

Last edited by Lancer78; 09-14-2009 at 11:35 AM..

Old 09-15-2009, 05:33 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Obviously Atlanta can't compare to larger cities like New York, L.A., and Chicago when it comes to culture, but it certainly isn't a cultural wasteland and can easily be considered one of the top 10 (or top 20) cultural tourism cities...

A Sampling of Cultural Sites and Institutions:

High Museum of Art
Atlanta Symphony
Atlanta Opera
Atlanta Ballet
Woodruff Arts Center
Capitol City Opera
Rialto Theater
APEX Museum
The Carter Center
The Fox Theater
Ferst Center for the Arts
The Michael C. Carlos Museum
Atlanta History Center
Atlanta Center for Contemporary Art
Center for Puppetry Arts
Atlanta Cyclorama
Centennial Olympic Park
The Wren's Nest
Fernbank Museum of Natural History
Atlanta Botanical Garden
ZooAtlanta
Atlanta Civic Center
MLK Jr. National Historic Site
The Herndon Museum
The Dogwood Festival
Screen on the Green
The National Black Arts Festival
Atlanta Film Festival
JazzFest
The Georgia Aquarium
Underground Atlanta
Kennsaw Mountain National Battlefield
Chastain Park Amphitheater
Alliance Theater
7 Stages
Various Public Art sites all around the city
Ballethnic Dance Theater
14th Street Playhouse

...and the list can go on and on.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 09-15-2009 at 06:50 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 02:46 PM

515 posts, read 1,059,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBu View Post
http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/20/america-culture-capitals-lifestyle-travel-arts_slide_2.html?partner=msnbc

10. San Francisco
9. Minneapolis
8. Houston
7. Dallas
6. Atlanta
5. Washington
4. Boston
3. Chicago
2. LA
1. New York
I think they should scrap Atlanta and put Charleston.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Dallas and Houston are not even the top cultural places in Texas so why should it rank in the top 10 in the U.S.? San Antonio and Austin are light years ahead of Houston and Dallas when it comes to culture.

San Antonio light years ahead of Dallas? Austin? Really? Austin may have the best live music in Texas but culturally its not better than Dallas, and San Antonio doesnt even compare. Dallas is home to the largest arts district in North America, has the only Symphony Hall in the world designed by world renowned architect I.M. Pei, has the only Asian Antiquities museum in this region of the country, just completed a new Opera house that is already ranked in the top 5 in the world, as well as a new performing arts complex.... and thats not even listing the Dallas Museum of Art, the Nasher Sculpture Center (largest urban sculpture garden in the world) or for that matter ANY museums that arent found in the Museum District downtown. Also, Dallas just broke ground on the new state of the art "Perot Museum of Science & Natural History." Austin and San Antonio are great but why do they always have to hate on the bigger cities in the state... it only makes sense that a region like DFW with nearly 7 times the population of Austin would have more.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:14 AM

259 posts, read 543,467 times
Look I'm from chicago but as far as what people look for in a city Nyc is "it" now Chicago is also but nyc is a bit bigger and more edgy...cities like houston and Atl just dont compare to those places..honestly it shouldn't be a discussion

Last edited by Truthfully19; 10-08-2009 at 07:23 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 07:18 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
Look I'm from chicago but as far as what people look for in a city Nyc is "it" now Chicago is also but nyc is a bit bigger and more edgy...cities like houston and Atl just dont compare to those places..honestly it shouldn't ve discussion
agree!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
I think they should scrap Atlanta and put Charleston.
They should toss out a city of 5.5 million and add a city of 630 thousand because...
Make your case.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:27 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
They should toss out a city of 5.5 million and add a city of 630 thousand because...
Make your case.
Yea, I'm not sure of the reasoning behind that. Charleston is my favorite city in the South, but I don't see how you could make a case that it has a greater quality and quantity of cultural tourism attractions than Atlanta.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 10-08-2009 at 09:49 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 09:40 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea, I'm not sure of the reasoning behind that. Charleston is my favorite city in the South, but I don't see how you could make a case that it has a greater quality and quantity of cultuural tourism attractions than Atlanta.
He might be under the impression that Charleston hosting Spoleto every year trumps Atlanta's offerings?

Spoleto is a HUGE deal, but not big enough to negate anything in Atlanta.

Spoleto Festival USA 2009 - Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City