Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto or Seattle
Toronto 36 62.07%
Seattle 22 37.93%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:29 AM

592 posts, read 827,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
It was brought up because I said Toronto does not hve many memorable or recognizable high rises/buildings outside of the CN Tower.

Thos was a statement about the blandness of Toronto's highrises.
Someone said that most cities do not have any recognizeable or memorable buildings and thats just not true whether you believe it or not.

And stop being so hypocritical when you talked several post about the Transamerica building and the Golden Gate Bridge.
I said that the transamerica would likely be the most recognizable building in Toronto other than the CN tower. Not because of importance or height, but just for its funky design. Many disagree, and that's fine.

But the Golden Gate Bridge? Yeah, don't compare the BOA building in Atlanta or any building or tower in North America, besides the Empire state building, with the Golden Gate Bridge. It's in a whole other category in terms of recognizable landmarks being mentioned by you and downtown.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:30 AM

571 posts, read 1,172,907 times
Hmm...I don't think I agree the CN tower is more recognizable than the Space Needle. I'd be interested to see any way to discern whether that is true, but outside of skyscraper nerddom like this site the Space Needle is recognizable and very symbolic of Seattle, at least in the US.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:30 AM

592 posts, read 827,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post
It's true of Atlanta, Dallas, and Denver. There are ZERO recognizable or memorable buildings in any of those cities. You are absolutely delusional if you can't understand this.
Dear Lord, we actually agree on something.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:35 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
This would be a toss-up.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:16 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
Hmm...I don't think I agree the CN tower is more recognizable than the Space Needle. I'd be interested to see any way to discern whether that is true, but outside of skyscraper nerddom like this site the Space Needle is recognizable and very symbolic of Seattle, at least in the US.
True, but the CN Tower is pretty much not only the #1 recognizable landmark/structure for Toronto, but probably for all of Canada. If one landmark had to represent of all Canada globally, that would be it.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:15 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
True, but the CN Tower is pretty much not only the #1 recognizable landmark/structure for Toronto, but probably for all of Canada. If one landmark had to represent of all Canada globally, that would be it.
That makes sense, I could agree with that. Come to think of it there are no other buildings in Canada that really pop in my head when I think of the major cities. There are buildings in all of them that I like, but none that symbolize them really.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:31 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,901 times
Quote:
Sure cannot find any list of building worldwide that has FCP higher than the BOA buiding in Atlanta.
Even without Emporis.

The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat is a real authority recognized by the industry
CTBUH - Search

CTBUH Tall Building Database | The Skyscraper Center

Can you list one please?

More floor space?REALLY!WoW!You win!!
I think this diagram makes it pretty clear which is really the taller building in all the ways that count:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...2at32236PM.png

Last edited by JMT; 07-03-2014 at 07:52 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 01:32 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
Until the CN Tower was built, for me personally speaking the most recognizable building in Canada would have been the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City. Nothing else could have touched it!
I'll never forget my visit to it in 1993 when I rode the public elevators up as high they went & then did some sneaking around that got me up into some off limits areas where I was able to have fantastic views looking out of the near-rooftop dormer windows. C'est Magnifique!
Certainly it's still one of Canada's most charming & recognizable buildings.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:54 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Bingo!The only people overrrating it is Toronto people
You throw around that Atlanta is an alpha minus city so it is altogether fitting that others can say Toronto is a full Alpha, but lemme guess Gawc are only homers when it comes to Toronto but not Atlanta right...? I would say more people underrate Toronto than overrate it and it is because Toronto is not in the U.S plain and simple. Only 3 cities in the U.S have full Alpha status NYC, L.A and Chicago so which city exactly is overrated - According to Gawc not Toronto.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-02-2014 at 05:13 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 05:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
lol he could recognize Roger center and new about the Blue Jays? That's kind of funny. I went to a Jays game in Toronto and the stadium was 3/4 empty. Probably bringing in more fans now that the Jays are doing well though.

Ah, you were in Istanbul! That is one of my favorite cities in Europe/Mid East, along with Beirut.
Actually the CN Tower and Toronto skyline is more recognizable than people think. It has played the part of many cities in media.. I would say the CN Tower is definately one of the most recognizable buildings in the world, Eiffel Tower and ESB recognizable, no but certainly one of the more famous.

Yes he did know of the CN Tower, Skydome at the time and the Jays and yes the games are selling well now due to how they are doing.. A lot more people in T.O are wearing Jays attire too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City