Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto or Seattle
Toronto 36 62.07%
Seattle 22 37.93%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 06:24 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I'm sure many people could. Plus, the only recognizable thing about Toronto is the CN tower, so TO doesn't fair much better imo.

A lot of people have heard about Denver. Everytime I've traveled out the country and told people where I'm from, they know exactly where I'm talking about. The only thing they seem to know about are the Broncos and mountains, but there's no doubt that many have heard of Denver. Same with Dallas. Who cares if people know it from tv? People still know the city and it's one of the top cities in North America, whether you admit it or not.

I really think people overrate Toronto's influence though. By no means is it a top city in the World. Not this day and age, anyway. Possibly in the future.
Bingo!The only people overrrating it is Toronto people

Old 07-02-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think you are nuts if you think that Dallas, Denver, Atlanta and most buildings in Chicago or S.F have more reconizable buildings globally than Toronto... So S.F has Trans and Chicago has Willis big woop truth is if those are gone most people would have a hard time recognizing them without one or two key landmarks... S.F with GGB and trans in pics would be more recognizable to more people than T.O that id buy.

I think this is just your way of finding one thing, anything to take a hit on Toronto. I mean Denver Wells Fargo, Dallas Fountain Place and Atlanta Westin Peachtree haha maybe they are famous to Americans but globally well known and recognizable in a way that connects them to a place, ehat is delusional. Now if you said if people looked at general pics of NYC, Las Vegas, S.F, L.A, Chicago and Miami now you would definately be talking but generic individual buildings and esp Denver, Atlanta Dallas and Philly - what is next Tulsa, Omaha and Des Moines have more reconizable buildings than Toronto....? Yup, im sure Joe blow in HK or Barcelona would be able to look at generic buildings in Little Rock and instantly connect them to Little Rock....I don't even know why you brought this up - what is next Atlanta has more recognizable Hot Dogs than Toronto to residents of Dhaka....
I made no statement regarding the popularity of the cities.

Toronto is well know but its highrises afre not.
Just like Vancouver,Miami and even Montreal

Im soley referring to buildings being uninspired and lacluster in Toronto that most people cannot recall because none in Toronto stand out as recognizeable or memorable.

U are nuts for thinking otherwise

Old 07-02-2014, 06:38 AM

273 posts, read 322,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Bingo!The only people overrrating it is Toronto people
Kind of like how you overrate Atlanta then. Gotcha.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Yea. Many people in Dallas and Atlanta and Denver could recognize those buildings in their cities, but outside of that, unless you are very familiar with American skylines and skyscrapers, then people wouldn't know them. And that would be a majority of people.

Atlanta, Dallas, and Denver have zero iconic/recognizable national or international structures. Having one building with a little bit of a different shape here or there doesn't meant its iconic.
Seattle has 1 (Space Needle) and Toronto has at least 1 (CN Tower) iconic structure.
Well i said high rises.What building in Toronto do u think is memorable or recognizeable?

Where is the tallest building in North Anerica outside of NYC and Chicago in North America?

Old 07-02-2014, 06:47 AM

Toronto is an Alpha World City. Only 10 cities in the world rank higher (Alpha+ or Alpha++).

Toronto ranks #13 in the 2014 Foreign Policy's Global City Index.

Toronto ranks #18 in the Global Economic Power Index.

Toronto ranks #18 in the Global Power City Index.

Toronto ranks #9 in the Global City Survey (from The Wealth Report).

Toronto ranks #12 in the Global City Competitiveness Index

Toronto ranks #4 in the Economist Intelligence Unit's Livability Ranking.

It is absolutely a top city in the world. Anyone who says otherwise is not being objective.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Well i said high rises.What building in Toronto do u think is memorable or recognizeable?

Where is the tallest building in North Anerica outside of NYC and Chicago in North America?
He's right. Go to Europe or Asia and almost nobody could identify the Atlanta, Dallas, or Denver skylines. Those cities have zero internationally-recognizable structures or buildings.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
If you didn't notice, I said that ONLY TWO structures in the United States, in fact all of North America, are recognizable world wide. I specifically said that Dallas, Atlanta and other cities mentioned have little to nothing recognizable to most outside of our continent. In fact I stated that many of the skylines mentioned(other than Toronto with it's CN Tower) have nothing recognizable to others throughout the world.

Of course it's not all about the US.

"I think most things Toronto are more recognizable than more things Seattle which has nothing to do with the United States."

I said that... I agree. I was saying its no surprise that the CN Tower gets more visitors than the Space Needle.
Who is arguing that those cities are recognizeable internationally?Im not saying they are but they do have more standout builing that are more memorable and recognizable than Toronto.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post
Kind of like how you overrate Atlanta then. Gotcha.
For example?

Old 07-02-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Who is arguing that those cities are recognizeable internationally?Im not saying they are but they do have more standout builing that are more memorable and recognizable than Toronto.
No they don't. None of those cities have any standout buildings that are memorable or recognizable outside the United States. We may recognize them because we are skyscraper/city geeks. But there are no buildings in Seattle, Denver, Dallas, or Atlanta that are more recognizable, memorable, or famous than even Toronto's Royal York Hotel.

You may think Denver's "cash register" buildings is well-known and immediately associated with Denver. That is only to us skyscraper geeks. Outside of us, few people outside Colorado would recognize it in a picture, or could tell you what city it's in.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
For example?
Saying that Atlanta has any "signature" buildings. Maybe to people who live in Georgia. Outside of that people might know Atlanta for CNN and Coca-Cola, but not for any buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City