Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto or Seattle
Toronto 36 62.07%
Seattle 22 37.93%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:05 AM

273 posts, read 322,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I'm sure many people could. Plus, the only recognizable thing about Toronto is the CN tower, so TO doesn't fair much better imo.
Wrong.

CN Tower
Rogers Centre
Casa Loma
First Canadian Place
Scotia Plaza
Brookfield Place (the interior even more so than the exterior)

.....just to name a few.

Just because you're ignorant of these things, doesn't mean others are. These are all absolutely recognizable, famous, and unmistakably Toronto.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:11 AM

273 posts, read 322,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
Honestly, what are you guys considering "recognizable?" You mean to Americans, who have a good idea of what other American and Canadian skylines look like?
Who cares about Americans? Why would you assume we're talking about Americans? I'm talking about to Canadians. You'd be hard-pressed to find any Canadian, even a new immigrant, who couldn't instantly identify Toronto's skyline. I care not what Americans recognize. Americans are notoriously ignorant about anything outside the USA. The average American probably couldn't identify ANY skyline outside the United States, anywhere in the world. OK, MAYBE if it included the Eiffel Tower.

BTW, the average Canadian couldn't identify Dallas, Denver, or Atlanta skylines. I can, but that's only because I'm a skyscraper geek. Outside NYC, I doubt the average Canadian could identify any American skylines. They'd be better at recognizing things like Mt. Rushmore, the Grand Canyon, the Vegas Strip, the Golden Gate Bridge etc. than any skylines. I doubt most Canadians could even identify Chicago's skyline.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:52 AM

592 posts, read 827,934 times
Quote:
The Hollywood sign too.
No, the hollywood sign is well known in North America and some of Europe. Its not on any list of the most recognizable landmarks.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post
Wrong. The Rogers Centre was the first of it's kind in the world. It's famous and iconic, contrary to what you say.
Famous and iconic to who? We're talking about structures that are recognized world wide. The Roger Center is not in that category. In fact, I'm sure most people would confuse it with the Staple Center in Los Angeles, which is FAR more well known.

http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffar...les-Center.jpg

Old 07-01-2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Wrong.

CN Tower
Rogers Centre
Casa Loma
First Canadian Place
Scotia Plaza

.....just to name a few.

Just because you're ignorant of these things, doesn't mean others are. These are all absolutely recognizable, famous, and unmistakably Toronto.
Once again- recognizable and famous in Canada! Ask anyone in Asia, Latin America, Africa or the Mid East if they've heard of anything you mentioned and they won't recognize any of them, besides SOME who will recognize the CN Tower.

You are far too Toronto-Centric if you believe these are recognizable landmarks outside of North America. Scotia Plaza? First Canadian Place? Sure, these are recognizable in Canada- a nation of around 30 million people. Their reach, with the exception of the CN Tower, does not go far beyond Canada's borders.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:59 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Quote:
Wrong.

CN Tower
Rogers Centre
Casa Loma
First Canadian Place
Scotia Plaza

.....just to name a few.

The only landmark you listed that most people would recognize is the CN Tower, and only that....

Old 07-01-2014, 04:12 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Wrong.

CN Tower
Rogers Centre
Casa Loma
First Canadian Place
Scotia Plaza

.....just to name a few.

Downtowndenizen, give it up. Besides the CN Tower that other stuff no one knows. Or I should say very few.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:30 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
Toronto is located within a two hour plane flight from 150 million people. That isn't really a fair comparison. And no, no one thinks of the Roger Center in Toronto. Many cities have similar looking, and far more famous stadiums.
Actually you'd be surprised....its typically an American phenomenon where y'all think only you are well known in the world and yes Internationally I think most things Toronto are more recognizable than more things Seattle which has nothing to do with the United States - honey the world ain't just about you.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:32 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Downtowndenizen, give it up. Besides the CN Tower that other stuff no one knows. Or I should say very few.
Its the same with the vast majority of U.S cities though lets be real...aside from a few landmarks or famous buildings.. Other than that joe blow building not really.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-01-2014 at 06:01 AM..

Old 07-01-2014, 07:34 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
I'm sure many people could. Plus, the only recognizable thing about Toronto is the CN tower, so TO doesn't fair much better imo.
Yea. Many people in Dallas and Atlanta and Denver could recognize those buildings in their cities, but outside of that, unless you are very familiar with American skylines and skyscrapers, then people wouldn't know them. And that would be a majority of people.

Atlanta, Dallas, and Denver have zero iconic/recognizable national or international structures. Having one building with a little bit of a different shape here or there doesn't meant its iconic.
Seattle has 1 (Space Needle) and Toronto has at least 1 (CN Tower) iconic structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City