Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:41 PM

45 posts, read 46,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
It's ok though because christian. is probably that his parents finally let him go on the internet like a big boy so he got a little too excited.
Hmmm, personal insults?

I'm guessing you're still hurt from Chicago's sad showing (or lack thereof, technically) on the overseas visitors list? You shouldn't take it too personally.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:50 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian. View Post
Hmmm, personal insults?

I'm guessing you're still hurt from Chicago's sad showing (or lack thereof, technically) on the overseas visitors list? You shouldn't take it too personally.
Kid, it's not an insult, I'm letting everyone know about your special privileges.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Kid, it's not an insult, I'm letting everyone know about your special privileges.
You are hurt.

Don't take reality so personally.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:44 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
And who would Washington legislate and regulate without the likes of Wall Street/New York?
Not knocking New York here, just saying you're underselling DC's influence.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:54 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
And who would Washington legislate and regulate without the likes of Wall Street/New York? Where would a bulk of that money come from? There is a reason why Wall Street's ripple effects were felt throughout the world.
Well Energy Plaza in Houston for one.

And besides, if Wall Street and the New York Stock Exchange where not built in NYC, the banks and the stock exchange would be in Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, or some where else. New York is very important, but it's not the sole reason for America's existence.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Well Energy Plaza in Houston for one.

And besides, if Wall Street and the New York Stock Exchange where not built in NYC, the banks and the stock exchange would be in Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, or some where else. New York is very important, but it's not the sole reason for America's existence.
Who said New York was the sole reason for America's existence? It isn't. Is it a very large contributor to this country's success? Yes.

Point is, the United States would be a second-world/borderline third world country if New York City were to be wiped off of the face of this earth tomorrow.

Washington is an economic wasteland when compared to New York City. The people who make decisions in Washington are far more mobile than the trillion dollar+ commerce that goes on in and around New York City. If Washington were to vanish, legislation could easily be done on a ranch in Montana or a in hut in Bangladesh while still making use of corporate New York tax base.

New York (and bankrupt California) could easily break away and be their own wealthy counties, Washington couldn't. It's as simple as that.

Last edited by christian.; 11-03-2009 at 06:07 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 06:01 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
LOL, foreign visitors visit Chicago? Since when? Oh cute, delusions of grandeur!

Overseas tourists 2008 according to the U.S. Department of Commerce (final destinations):

New York City: 7,600,000

Los Angeles: 2,700,000
Miami: 2,300,000
San Francisco: 2,300,000
Orlando: 2,100,000
Las Vegas: 1,700,000
Honolulu: 1,600,000
Washington: 1,200,000

CHICAGO? MIA!

Maybe 500,000 at best? Quite pitiful for America's "second city". Yea, what a New York competitor, huh? LOL. I am not trying to be rude, but why would someone fly overseas just to visit Chicago? You want to see skyscrapers, amazing buildings, fabulousness and excitement? New York. It has everything Chicago could only dream of X 2 or 3. Beaches? Miami. Hollywood? LA. Charm? San Francisco. Disney? Orlando. Chicago offers nothing to the average tourist and these statistics back up my opinion. I guess it is a boring farm town (you said it, not me).

New York, L.A., Miami are most-visited U.S. cities by overseas travelers | Oregon Travel News - - Oregon, US & International Travel News - Oregonlive.com

PS, it's impossible to gauge how many Americans are visiting Chicago versus actually going to visit Chicago, so domestic travel patterns never tell the entire picture. These stats foreign stats are quite revealing aren't they? See NYC all the way up there (at nearly 3X LA's visitors) and Chicago missing from the chart? LOL.
What are the three cities you left out between New York and Los Angeles?

Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
What are the three cities you left out between New York and Los Angeles?
None. The break was to signify the large gap between #1 (New York) and #2 (Los Angeles).

Old 11-03-2009, 06:17 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
LOL Which of course explains why California came begging to the federal government for a bailout to prevent the state from essentially going bankrupt.
Oh really? When did that happen?

Futhermore, how much did the feds give? The fact is California never asked for anything and the feds didnt give anything.

And even if we did and the feds gave, its our money to begin with-not DCs.

California only gets back $0.79 of every dollar we send to the Feds in taxes-the difference comes out to about $50 Billion we're being shortchanged year in-year out. Meanwhile for every 1 Dollar DC residents send to Fed Taxes, they get back $6.44, Maryland residents get back $1.44 and Virginia residents get back $1.66.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/sr139.pdf (broken link)

Trust me, if the day came when California came to DC for anything, we wouldnt come begging-that's for sure.

It would be more like "gimme my damn money-NOW!".

Quote:
If you don't believe me, ask the executives at the vaunted Fortune 500 companies in New York, California and elsewhere where their priorities are. Everyone is watching DC.
No, not really...
November 3, 2009 Cover of Time says it all...

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...1582-3,00.html

Old 11-03-2009, 06:17 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Who said New York was the sole reason for America's existence? It isn't.
whether intentional or not, that's kind of what you've been implying.

Quote:
Point is, the United States would be a second-world/borderline third world country if New York were to be wiped off of the face of this earth tomorrow.
I don't know about that.

Quote:
Washington is an economic wasteland when compared to New York City.
I think the Federal Reserve might have something to say about that. The Fed is much bigger and has a a lot more power over the financial business in America than Wall Street. Who is bailing out Wall Street? The Fed is the only establishment that has that kind of power.

Quote:
The people who make decisions in Washington are far more mobile than the trillion dollar+ commerce that goes on in and around New York City. If Washington were to vanish, legislation could easily be done on a ranch in Montana or a in hut in Bangladesh while still making use of corporate New York tax base.

New York (and bankrupt California) could easily break away and be their own wealthy counties, Washington couldn't. It's as simple as that.
If Washington where to fall of the face of the earth, the country would be in chaos because we wouldn't have a national government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City