Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best row houses?
Boston 53 16.56%
New York City 55 17.19%
Philadelphia 71 22.19%
Pittsburgh 13 4.06%
Baltimore 23 7.19%
Washington DC 29 9.06%
San Francisco 62 19.38%
Other 14 4.38%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:26 PM

59 posts, read 99,948 times

Advertisements

New York City.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...fea657c6_b.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...a0911406_b.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...831dd362_b.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...a65297e3_b.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...3ed959e9_b.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...c0dbfacc_b.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...ee4c2dfa_b.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...91a9d1a9_b.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...f0143ebb_b.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 01-12-2013 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 12:47 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'm pretty sure he was referring to the fact that beautiful row homes are a dime a dozen in Euro cities, not American. And yes, they'd mop the floor with us haha.

Amsterdam and London alone would destroy all American cities combined in terms of beautiful row homes.
amsterdam and london are great cities with nice rowhomes...but have you been to/seen Prague??? just search old town square.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:30 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWest View Post
New York City.
Hey neato Mr West. So where do they hide those little two stories? I've seen similar in East Brooklyn and Astoria. Are they on Manhattan?

Old 10-01-2009, 04:42 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
I've seen some of the federal-style rowhomes in Greenwich Village, but overall these gems are hard to come by in NYC.

My favorites have to be Boston, Philadelphia, DC (Georgetown), and San Francisco.

Walking through Beacon Hill and the Back Bay in Boston is arguably the closest thing in the US to walking through a European city. The architecture is simply beautiful. Even better on a snowy day or evening around Christmastime.

I love Philadelphia's well-preserved federal and colonial rowhouses. The historic homes in DC (Georgetown) are perhaps even better because they're so colorful.

While my primary passion is for colonial and federal architecture, there's something to be said for the rainbows of Victorians in San Francisco. It's an architecturally beautiful and very unique city.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:44 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'm pretty sure he was referring to the fact that beautiful row homes are a dime a dozen in Euro cities, not American. And yes, they'd mop the floor with us haha.

Amsterdam and London alone would destroy all American cities combined in terms of beautiful row homes.
Actually I'm not so sure about London. I spent three days there and although London is one of the world's great cities, I got the impression that Boston is better preserved than London. The damage left by the fire bombing and V1/2 rockets of WW2 was rather obvious in LON in the lack of continuity of historic neighborhoods. I spent most of my time in and around Westminster with a foray to Portobello, a ghetto romp to South London, the Ripper tour and some southern burbs.

I'm sure I missed a lot, but the cheap replacements for the places where the bombs fell were quite noticeable. Seems kinda unfair that the people who had the fortitude to stand up to Hitler paid the price while those that surrendered (Paris) went undamaged.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:58 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Actually I'm not so sure about London. I spent three days there and although London is one of the world's great cities, I got the impression that Boston is better preserved than London. The damage left by the fire bombing and V1/2 rockets of WW2 was rather obvious in LON in the lack of continuity of historic neighborhoods. I spent most of my time in and around Westminster with a foray to Portobello, a ghetto romp to South London, the Ripper tour and some southern burbs.

I'm sure I missed a lot, but the cheap replacements for the places where the bombs fell were quite noticeable. Seems kinda unfair that the people who had the fortitude to stand up to Hitler paid the price while those that surrendered (Paris) went undamaged.
Boston may have never been bombed, but I'd hardly call the downtown "well preserved." First there was the Great Fire of 1872, then all the terrible Urban Renewal projects in the 50s and 60s that demolished entire neighborhoods. Here's an interesting thread on the topic.

Granted, Boston does have some tremendously well-preserved neighborhoods. But so does London. As far as 19th century rowhouses are concerned, try Kensington or Chelsea. Those make the Back Bay look tiny in comparison.

And as far as history is concerned, France is such a centralized nation that when Paris was captured in WWII, there was no hope for the rest of the country. If the French lacked anything, it was preparation and good strategy, not fortitude. I guess those Belgians and Poles were all weaklings too, eh?

Old 10-01-2009, 09:39 PM

18 posts, read 23,857 times
Boston is not more preserved than London at all.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:05 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post

Neighborhoods like Kensington are beautifully preserved and possess some of the most beautiful architecture on the planet.

I wouldn't say Paris totally went unscathed....

Old 10-02-2009, 12:06 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,297 times
Based on the pictures, SF's is the most beautiful.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:25 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Based on the pictures, SF's is the most beautiful.

based on your opinion, i'm not reALLY feelin the fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City