Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has overall better climate?
NEW YORK CITY 146 48.03%
MIAMI 158 51.97%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 02:14 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,861 times

Advertisements

I don't get why someone would want to compare these two cities, as their climates are so different. I would choose Miami in the winter and part of the spring, and choose NYC for the rest. At any time, all you have to do is Google "NYC weather" and "Miami weather" and the current temps and forecast for the next several days is there for all to see. I love the fall, so would choose NYC for now, but in another couple of weeks - Miami for sure.

Today: Miami 86/72 NYC 57/38
Tomorrow: Miami 85/72 NYC 51/39
Thursday: Miami 84/70 NYC 51/38
Friday: Miami 81/69 NYC 48/35
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 02:35 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,049 times
As much as I detest the summer weather in SW Florida, if I was forced to make a choice, I would pick SUMMER in Florida, IF I could have NYC weather in FALL and WINTER. As much as I detest the heat, I would live with it if I could have my 6 months of cool and COLD. It is YEAR ROUND I cannot stand.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:40 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Yes, some down in extreme SoFla wilt when it drops below 60-65 for a couple of nights. Never mind having several months of needing heat at night or sweaters and jackets like anywhere else in the south including much of FL. Part of what makes the place unique.. But I see NYC has pulled ahead by three. This never would have happened in a poll 10-20 years ago...
True, true.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:39 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftLadyKim View Post
It's all about lifestyle, what you like and dislike. I have lived in NY and now FL and you do get use to the heat and humidity. Florida does have Fall, just not as dramatic and as for allergies, I still get bothered by then both Spring and Fall but not as bad. In Florida you learn to do things in the morning and late afternoon. You go from air conditioned car to home to work to stores, everywhere is prepared for the heat. I carry a sweater in my car because it's cold in restaurants and malls. After living here about 2 years your body gets use to it. I was in NY the end of May, the weather was refreshing, I was happy to return to FL. I lived in NY, VT and NH until I was 36, once I moved here I wondered why I didn't do it sooner. I love the heat and was never a fan of the cold and bundling up. When you live by the water in Florida and not in the middle of the state, there's always a breeze. It's just not for everyone and that's okay.
I don't like really cold weather. But what you said is what you have to do here is adjust your life due to the heat here.

Running from AC to AC, and staying indoors( and people do here) because of the heat and humidity.

Have lived in four states all over the country and spend more time indoors here.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:15 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I don't like really cold weather. But what you said is what you have to do here is adjust your life due to the heat here.

Running from AC to AC, and staying indoors( and people do here) because of the heat and humidity.

Have lived in four states all over the country and spend more time indoors here.
If not into the beach or boating your brief outside moments are brisk walks from one A/C to another to avoid sweating much of the year. The health clubs and malls are as packed as the beach during those glorious 90 degreee 'mild' days.. Best to do your outdoor workouts by the beach so you can go for a nice refreshing swim when you are done..

Old 11-08-2009, 02:20 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I don't get why someone would want to compare these two cities, as their climates are so different. I would choose Miami in the winter and part of the spring, and choose NYC for the rest. At any time, all you have to do is Google "NYC weather" and "Miami weather" and the current temps and forecast for the next several days is there for all to see. I love the fall, so would choose NYC for now, but in another couple of weeks - Miami for sure.

Today: Miami 86/72 NYC 57/38
Tomorrow: Miami 85/72 NYC 51/39
Thursday: Miami 84/70 NYC 51/38
Friday: Miami 81/69 NYC 48/35
I don't recall it being that cold (except yesterday), it's interesting because its in the 70's as I type lol. We will be around 70 for the next few days.

I'm glad its this warm but I'd still rather be in Miami right now.

Also whenever I'm in Florida (in the Summer) I don't run from AC to AC like many people on CD seem to do.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I don't recall it being that cold (except yesterday), it's interesting because its in the 70's as I type lol. We will be around 70 for the next few days.

I'm glad its this warm but I'd still rather be in Miami right now.

Also whenever I'm in Florida (in the Summer) I don't run from AC to AC like many people on CD seem to do.
Same here. I never did either when I LIVED in SOUTH Florida. None of my fam does either. I guess it's about who you know down there. Some people(mostly northerners) HATE the hot weather down there and HAVE to run from AC to AC. That's understandable. But I don't want people to think that it's EVERYONE. MOST of my family and other Haitians/Carribean(Bahamian, Jamaican, Cuban, etc, etc) and alot of NATIVE Floridians down there HATE cold weather anyway. I hope people don't get it twisted and think EVERYONE wants a FREEZING winter. Although the heat down there CAN and IS miserable at times during the Winter.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:21 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,049 times
Default I hate the entire 12 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Same here. I never did either when I LIVED in SOUTH Florida. None of my fam does either. I guess it's about who you know down there. Some people(mostly northerners) HATE the hot weather down there and HAVE to run from AC to AC. That's understandable. But I don't want people to think that it's EVERYONE. MOST of my family and other Haitians/Carribean(Bahamian, Jamaican, Cuban, etc, etc) and alot of NATIVE Floridians down there HATE cold weather anyway. I hope people don't get it twisted and think EVERYONE wants a FREEZING winter. Although the heat down there CAN and IS miserable at times during the Winter.
The only good thing about winter in SW Florida is that it isn't summer or fall in SW Florida. 70s is DEFINITELY better than 90s, but my feeling is why have to SETTLE for that? 30s through 60s is my ideal temps. I am not going to get that at all in SW Florida, at least not in the DAY.

Maybe it is different for someone who actually move TO Florida for it's weather which wasn't me.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:44 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I agree, I wear my coat at least 1 month longer than most cold loving-New Yorkers, even in May/June I'll wear a hoodie until it warms up out of the morning-60's and into the midday-80's. I hate Winter (hopefully this will be my last Winter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The only good thing about winter in SW Florida is that it isn't summer or fall in SW Florida. 70s is DEFINITELY better than 90s, but my feeling is why have to SETTLE for that? 30s through 60s is my ideal temps. I am not going to get that at all in SW Florida, at least not in the DAY.

Maybe it is different for someone who actually move TO Florida for it's weather which wasn't me.
I'm the exact opposite of you, you'd kill for NYC/Long Island Winter weather and I'd kill for Floridian Summer weather lol. When Winter comes I'm gonna be exactly like you lol, I detest NYC/Long Island's "in between" Winters, most of the time its too warm to even snow yet its still this weird coldish/mildish temperature.

I do love those days in January/February when we spring up into the 70's, I remember one January day when it was 76 degrees (like today) which was nearly twice our January average high (40 degrees). If we were to jump 36 degrees above our average high in July (86 degrees) like we did in January it would be 122 degrees and I'd take this over 60 degrees.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post

Oh, I DEFINITELY agree. That's what I said, I said I can DEFINITELY see why someone who MOVED to Florida late in life from the cold Northeast would HATE the Florida winters. If I was from the Northeast origanally I'd probably HATE hot weather and Florida also, BUT I wouldn't go OVERBOARD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City