Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 11:28 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I think it is safe to say that those who are picking Phoenix just don't like large US metros. There is a reason why Phoenix is soooooo large. I doubt "nothing to do" is the reason behind Phoenix's size.

I do prefer smaller metros but I prefer small towns even more, but if I go to a big city, I at least want it to feel like a big city.

I like Atlanta metro, LA metro, New Orleans metro, Denver metro, Dallas metro, Birmingham metro, El Paso metro but I dont care for the Phoenix metro ,there is just something about it.

If Albuquerque ever grew to be like Phoenix I would be the first to bash it and I would move.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:35 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I wouldn't have said this 40 years ago, I believe it's the sprawl, hard to get through it all and find those interesting little places. Like a needle in a haystack, ya know?
Totally agree. I actually like Phoenix, but this is its biggest disadvantage. If you visit, the first impression is that it's nothing but sand and palm trees and mountains and strip malls with Costcos in them. It's not until you search in those strip malls and find some fantastic Italian restaurant, or a cute park with a fountain, or a little tucked away coffee shop, or a lake in Tempe, or the Heard Museum, or go to one of the new stadiums or take the light rail downtown that you realize there's much more to Phoenix.

The second problem is that all those interesting things are miles apart. If everything interesting about Phoenix - Camelback Mountain, some of the resorts, the great restaurants, the art museum, the Heard Museum, the sports arenas, etc. were all within a mile or so of each other, say in and around downtown, Phoenix would be a *much* more interesting city.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 AM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I do prefer smaller metros but I prefer small towns even more, but if I go to a big city, I at least want it to feel like a big city.

I like Atlanta metro, LA metro, New Orleans metro, Denver metro, Dallas metro, Birmingham metro, El Paso metro but I dont care for the Phoenix metro ,there is just something about it.

If Albuquerque ever grew to be like Phoenix I would be the first to bash it and I would move.
It's interesting because I've never heard you say anything positive about Phoenix or Tucson, yet you like El Paso's metro? And Albuquerque is sprawling like Phoenix (to a smaller degree), so I'm starting to think you just don't like AZ (and based on your other posts).

Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 AM

353 posts, read 656,607 times
It's funny how many people don't like Phoenix and can't give you a reason. To some it just gauls them that Phoenix has become a major city. It bothers them that so many people like Phoenix and continue to move there. To a person that considers El Paso a better city you have to take anything they say with a grain of salt.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:27 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
It's funny how many people don't like Phoenix and can't give you a reason. To some it just gauls them that Phoenix has become a major city. It bothers them that so many people like Phoenix and continue to move there. To a person that considers El Paso a better city you have to take anything they say with a grain of salt.

They do the same thing to Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Atlanta..... don't feel bad, some people have nothing better to do than complain

Like I said before, if you are bored in any city it is YOU...... not the city that is to blame

Old 10-22-2009, 09:24 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
Totally agree. I actually like Phoenix, but this is its biggest disadvantage. If you visit, the first impression is that it's nothing but sand and palm trees and mountains and strip malls with Costcos in them. It's not until you search in those strip malls and find some fantastic Italian restaurant, or a cute park with a fountain, or a little tucked away coffee shop, or a lake in Tempe, or the Heard Museum, or go to one of the new stadiums or take the light rail downtown that you realize there's much more to Phoenix.

The second problem is that all those interesting things are miles apart. If everything interesting about Phoenix - Camelback Mountain, some of the resorts, the great restaurants, the art museum, the Heard Museum, the sports arenas, etc. were all within a mile or so of each other, say in and around downtown, Phoenix would be a *much* more interesting city.
Exactly my point, it just takes a lot of digging in Phoenix (I mean Phoenix the metropolitan, not inner city). The coolness, or uniqueness of a shop in on the inside not the out. They are there, just harder to find.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
This is why I question the validity of many people who post negative things about Phoenix. First and foremost, why are people always referring to Phoenix as just a bunch of retired folks?? The Phoenix area has the 5th youngest population in the country. Secondly, for those who state they have visited Phoenix (or even claim to have lived there for that matter), you need to get out and see more. Phoenix has seen more development in downtown in the last 3 years than it has in the last twenty years. Yes, it doesn't happen overnight, but it is happening. If you're not seeing it, it isn't because it doesn't exist, it's because perhaps you're too lazy to go out and see it. And, please stop painting such a broad stroke about people and why they like certain cities.
Well in all fairness I was talking about the reason for the sprawl in the first place. Back around 1880, when the city gained the title of Capital from Prescott, they advertised Phoenix as a healthy escape for the older population who had health concerns in the winter. I wasn't referring to the amount of retirees but they indeed play a big role in development of our city, as well as the health benefits from a snow-less winter. We weren't built to draw exciting youth, is the point.

Urban development was modeled after L.A. Hence the "sprawl" was on purpose.
I don't hate Phoenix, quite the opposite, it is very dear to my heart. I grew up bombarded by information on Phoenix due to my father being a professor of Southwest history at ASU and writing several books on the city. My father became disappointed in the direction of the city as did others in the historic community for their "weak historic preservation ordinances in the 80's. The "charming old structures are a precious commodity in the city of glass boxes". This is a quote for a reporter in 1987.
Here is a quote from Charles Driscoll, Phoenix's historic preservation officer:

"THERE ARE PEOPLE COMING HERE FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY WHO EXPECT TO SEE, IN A DOWNTOWN AREA, SOME ROOTS, SOME DISTINCTION. ONCE THESE UNIQUE BUILDINGS ARE GONE, THEY'RE GONE FOREVER AND YOU'RE STUCK WITH A KIND OF BLAND, FACELESS ENVIRONMENT WHERE YOU HAVE TO LOOK AROUND AND SAY, "WHERE AM I? IN LOS ANGELES OR DAYTON OR WHERE?" BECAUSE A GLASS SKYSCRAPER LOOKS PRETTY MUCH LIKE ANY OTHER GLASS SKYSCRAPER."
This was foresight to our current problem.
This now applies to 80 percent of the area, the majority of places are in fact "glass sky-scrappers" or "stucco strip malls". So overall, Phoenix has become bland, hence the "boring" stereo type.

My analogy on the issue goes like this> Phoenix has become that really yummy candy wrapped in a opaque wrapper. Once you accidentally find those hidden gems you will be impressed, it's finding them thats the problem. A lot of people don't have the time to go searching out a exciting or diverse spot in Phoenix, they have a busy life working and raising a family. They then find it boring. The boring part stems from this, to me.

Yes, there will be a few adventurous seekers in there, people with the time to search out the excitement but it would be great if we could focus on the majority of families here. Places like CD are a help to those who can't search out every strip mall but more needs to be done.

This is just my opinion, so I hope you don't get upset with me. Hardly a broad stroke, and I share it with some pretty versed historians, and it's an issue many in the Phoenix city enrichment programs are trying now to reverse. I wish them luck! I hope they accomplish this as hard as it will be trying to override the business side of our city. Especially given our money situation now.

I'm off to New England for personal reasons, not for my hatred of Phoenix nor due to any laziness you think I attain.

You can feel free to give reasons you see Phoenix as an exciting city, but I doubt it holds water to say Phoenix is an exciting city just because I'm stupid and lazy. It would be nice to see a little more body to you're argument, like "why" you find it exciting!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post

Yes, fortunately Albuquerque wasn't built on the same principles as Phoenix so I doubt that will ever happen.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:34 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
twiggy - You get the Quote of the Day Award for this one:

"Phoenix has become that really yummy candy wrapped in a opaque wrapper"

Old 10-22-2009, 10:35 AM

888 posts, read 886,404 times
Miami is the most boring city in the US.
Spending your life having sex with beautiful women and doing nothing else is really boring after several years of it... I want some culture! Give me an art museum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City