Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 09:56 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,335 times

Advertisements

Salt Lake City hands-down if you are talking about the city.

Granted, SLC has some great outdoor recreation opportunities nearby, including some of the best snow on planet earth, but the downtown is the most boring place I have ever been.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:41 AM

7,075 posts, read 12,342,588 times
I think it is safe to say that those who are picking Phoenix just don't like large US metros. There is a reason why Phoenix is soooooo large. I doubt "nothing to do" is the reason behind Phoenix's size.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:48 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
I don't know what your definition of big is. But with my definition of big if you can't find anything to do in any big city then the problem isn't the city.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:09 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
^^But the thing is, there are many cities that don't offer anything much different than other cities. You can spend a half day seeing everything that's unique to one city, but anything more than that, you can do it other cities. That's why some cities may seem boring to people; especially those who have see many of the bigger cities in this country.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:30 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I think it is safe to say that those who are picking Phoenix just don't like large US metros. There is a reason why Phoenix is soooooo large. I doubt "nothing to do" is the reason behind Phoenix's size.
No, it certainly isn't! That has to do with "no snow", retired folks, and cheap housing. That seems to be the problem in my eyes, they built up a lot of cheap housing communities instead of building up the city. Out instead of up doesn't always offer a more exciting option.
I find people that love Phoenix like these things, hiking, swimming pools, cheap housing, and no snow to shovel. These are the most commented issues on our thread. Just an observation, backed by a lot of data over the years!

Old 10-21-2009, 01:03 PM

8,610 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
No, it certainly isn't! That has to do with "no snow", retired folks, and cheap housing. That seems to be the problem in my eyes, they built up a lot of cheap housing communities instead of building up the city. Out instead of up doesn't always offer a more exciting option.
I find people that love Phoenix like these things, hiking, swimming pools, cheap housing, and no snow to shovel. These are the most commented issues on our thread. Just an observation, backed by a lot of data over the years!
This is why I question the validity of many people who post negative things about Phoenix. First and foremost, why are people always referring to Phoenix as just a bunch of retired folks?? The Phoenix area has the 5th youngest population in the country. Secondly, for those who state they have visited Phoenix (or even claim to have lived there for that matter), you need to get out and see more. Phoenix has seen more development in downtown in the last 3 years than it has in the last twenty years. Yes, it doesn't happen overnight, but it is happening. If you're not seeing it, it isn't because it doesn't exist, it's because perhaps you're too lazy to go out and see it. And, please stop painting such a broad stroke about people and why they like certain cities.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:54 PM

656 posts, read 1,419,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
More population doesn't make a place a bigger city as far as amenities are concerned , el Paso is a big metro area and so are other areas.

Some people may love a more laid back lifestyle so they may move, others may be priced out of california so they move that has nothing to do with phoenix being more or less boring because its a big city.

Some people may fine smaller metros and towns less boring and some may like a cheaper house and more laid back lifestyle or if they don't like the snow or have vacation properties.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:53 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree. S.A. is a real city, Austin is just a college town that has found itself larger than it was ever meant to be.
whoa whoa whoa. i'm far from thinking Austin is the be all end all like a lot of people do. But i've been to Austin and SA and Austin feels much more metropolitan than SA does. Though I like both cities.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
whoa whoa whoa. i'm far from thinking Austin is the be all end all like a lot of people do. But i've been to Austin and SA and Austin feels much more metropolitan than SA does. Though I like both cities.
I agree. Austin, though smaller than the big three, is easily the nicest city in Texas. It's easily more than just a college town that grew too big for its britches. I lived in Houston once and would have traded that time for Austin in a NY minute!

Old 10-21-2009, 11:25 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^^But the thing is, there are many cities that don't offer anything much different than other cities. You can spend a half day seeing everything that's unique to one city, but anything more than that, you can do it other cities. That's why some cities may seem boring to people; especially those who have see many of the bigger cities in this country.

exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City