Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:59 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times

Advertisements

El Paso.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:07 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I agree completely. Saying that any metro over 4 million is boring means:

1) Youre not trying at all
2) You want to be bored
3) You like complaining because it makes you feel good

Saying any metro over 2 million is boring means:

1) Your lazy
2) The one thing the metro doesnt offer is your lifes passion

Pretty much every major metro is going to have good dining, lot of options in the arts, culture, a reasonably sized international community, and good shopping. Most also will have something for the outdoorsman as well.
You pretty much said it right here

Add to that all the social clubs that one can find in any mid or large city with people of similar interests.

Pretty much anyone who is bored in a larger city is not trying at all

Old 10-12-2009, 03:28 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
I would second Jacksonville.

Remember, JAX is not on the beach. The beach requires some driving from central JAX.

But even if we include the beach as part of the metro area, I would note that:

-There are better beaches elsewhere

-The city doesn't add a lot to the beaches. And beaches alone would be a slender reed indeed.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:37 AM

872 posts, read 1,712,839 times
Jacksonville, FL. I know some people love it but for me it has a very odd vibe.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 AM

7,075 posts, read 12,342,588 times
The term "boring" (on city-data) is usually associated with new rising Sunbelt cities. Sometimes the term is used by transplants (to these cities) from non-Sunbelt regions. Other times it is used by people from Sunbelt cities that are not growing (or not getting as much attention) as the Sunbelt city that's getting ragged on. Such cities (that are often called boring) are hardly "boring" at all. However, some folks (for whatever reason) have anger towards fast growing cities (that are growing faster than their home town). The irony is that these people left their home town for these "boring" cities. Obviously, they thought their home town was "boring" too.

I am a firm believer that boring people are gonna be bored no matter where they go. I live in Charlotte, and two of my wife's closest friends are from LA. They don't wish to ever move back to LA, however they feel that Charlotte is a little "boring". Being that they are from LA, I can certainly understand their feelings. However, they NEVER go uptown during special events. They NEVER go to sporting events (even when the Lakers are in town to play the Bobcats). They NEVER go to public parks with their kids. Their idea of "fun" is staying at home and "entertaining" guest at their MASSIVE suburban home. Now to me, that is BORING!!! It amazes me how boring people blame their boredom on EVERYTHING but themselves. Simply amazing.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:27 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The term "boring" (on city-data) is usually associated with new rising Sunbelt cities. Sometimes the term is used by transplants (to these cities) from non-Sunbelt regions. Other times it is used by people from Sunbelt cities that are not growing (or not getting as much attention) as the Sunbelt city that's getting ragged on. Such cities (that are often called boring) are hardly "boring" at all. However, some folks (for whatever reason) have anger towards fast growing cities (that are growing faster than their home town). The irony is that these people left their home town for these "boring" cities. Obviously, they thought their home town was "boring" too.

I am a firm believer that boring people are gonna be bored no matter where they go. I live in Charlotte, and two of my wife's closest friends are from LA. They don't wish to ever move back to LA, however they feel that Charlotte is a little "boring". Being that they are from LA, I can certainly understand their feelings. However, they NEVER go uptown during special events. They NEVER go to sporting events (even when the Lakers are in town to play the Bobcats). They NEVER go to public parks with their kids. Their idea of "fun" is staying at home and "entertaining" guest at their MASSIVE suburban home. Now to me, that is BORING!!! It amazes me how boring people blame their boredom on EVERYTHING but themselves. Simply amazing.
Well it makes you feel any better, I actually have had nothing but fun every time Ive been to Charlotte.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:36 AM

7,075 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Well it makes you feel any better, I actually have had nothing but fun every time Ive been to Charlotte.
Thanks, and I've been to SEVERAL cities in the lower 48 (trucker). During my breaks is when I would take the time out to explore my surroundings. I honestly have NEVER been bored in a town with at least 100,000 people. Most towns have a YMCA or a good movie theater (or something). If people would just be honest (which is rare on forums) they would realize that 99% of the average person's "normal" activities of daily living can be done in almost every city in the entire country. Now, if these people get bored because they can't find the remaining 1% in a certain city, then that person needs help (because something is lacking within themselves; it is NOT the city that they live in that has the problem).

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-12-2009 at 08:01 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 08:00 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Same here. There is plenty of entertainment in Charlotte.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:07 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,830 times
Atlanta. Not much going on there.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:10 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Thanks, and I've been to SEVERAL cities in the lower 48 (trucker). During my breaks is when I would take the time out to explore my surroundings. I honestly have NEVER been bored in a town with at least 100,000 people. Most towns have a YMCA or a good movie theater (or something). If people would just be honest (which is rare on forums) they would realize that 99% of the average person's "normal" activities of daily living can be done in almost every city in the entire country. Now, if these people get bored because they can't find the remaining 1% in a certain city, then that person needs help (because something is lacking within themselves; it is NOT the city that they live in that has the problem).
I hate it when people do that. They move somewhere and just because it's not the biggest city in the world, they call it boring. And most of them never do anything, just complain about how lame everything is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City