Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 11:01 AM

451 posts, read 695,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Actually, given the proliferation of high quality food trucks, the press they get and the use of mobile internet, yes.

Well, nobody I grew up with ate from them, so thats news to me.

Maybe the food quality has gotten better, I dont know. I havent lived in the city in a long time.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:06 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
Well, nobody I grew up with ate from them, so thats news to me.
Also, people I know who grew up in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens did, too. It depends on what you're talking about. If you're talking about dirty water hot dogs, not really so much, but halal food carts especially the chicken and rice, the meat skewers in chinatown and flushing, italian ices, sliced fruit and empanadas in washington heights and williamsburg, pozoles in sunnyside, arepas in jackson heights, coffee and a egg roll on any corner for a quick breakfast, etc. all seemed to be pretty common parts of the habit. Also, one of the families I lived with had an aunt who used to sell tamales and it was certainly the people who were of the neighborhood who bought them. It kind of makes sense given how freaking huge and diverse NYC is that there's relatively little in terms of a codified and set New York upbringing.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:09 AM

The only trucks I ate from were Uncle Louies when it was hot as balls in the summer time.

I was always told the other food was not good. It was for tourists.

A lot of people eat at the Olive Garden too, but most NYers know that isnt real Italian.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:10 AM

71 posts, read 73,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
What does more people have to do with anything? Where did I say that? New York has more variety of everything. I lived in BK. We had bodegas, street food, vendors, etc... Chicago lacks all of this. This is another example like the subway analogy.
All American cities fall short of New York which is often considered THE top world city and in the same league as London, Tokyo or Paris.

Not trying to be rude but if you think Chicago is right behind New York in overall urban experience you are delusional. Due to its size and diversity New York is in different league altogether.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:12 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
The only trucks I ate from were Uncle Louies when it was hot as balls in the summer time.

I was always told the other food was not good.

A lot of people eat at the Olive Garden too, but most NYers know that isnt real Italian.
Of course, it depends on the neighborhood and what your family/neighborhood is about. Fresh diced fruits and empanadas were common enough for us.

Also, Olive Garden is not at all native to New York anyhow so I'm not sure what the analogy being drawn here is supposed to be. Olive Garden is definitely a product of suburbia and not even NYC suburbia so it doesn't do much in telling apart natives in transplants since it's pretty much omnipresent in the US.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
^^^DC's Finest do you have some grudge against Chicago. Ive recently seen you post negative things about this city on the forum. Also, you can't get mad that people like chicago's offerings more than NY, its just their thoughts and opinions. Also, size isn't everything, many magazines any websites vote Chicago as a better food city, and bar city. However, I am neutral in my vote since I like things about both cities.
Great post!

I used to think there was nothing else that could compare to NYC in quality entertainment offerings, architecture, food, etc.

Then I traveled more and couldnt be more wrong.

Fact is, there are many cities out there that do offer things NYC does not, and vice versa. No denying it, but to go back to what he said about Chicago falling "incredibly short" to NYC. I think thats absurd.

We arent talking about Gary or Camden, or Des Moines.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in Skyscrapers View Post
Attention all new yorkers...

I am in chicago often and I find it incredibly pathetic when I hear chicagoans constantly being defensive about their city and trying to belittle every other city in the midwest (i.e. st. loius, milwaukee, indy, KC, etc.). New Yorkers are much more cordial and say pleasant things about boston, DC, etc..

Chicagoans are constantly bragging how great it is, don't get me wrong - the city is ok but theres nothing that great about it. As some of my out of town friends from the east coast explained, its basically a "taller version of st. louis with a nicer waterfront". Granted, I love St. Louis, but we all know st. louis does not compare with NYC

Most sad to me is when chicagoans are constantly attempting to belittle New York City (apparently in an attempt to make themselves feel more important?). Of course, NYC is unquestionably still America's biggest and best city..

My point?? For f*** sake new yorkers - do not lower yourselves to these pitiful converstations with chicagoans that never go anywhere. And don't waste your time on Chicago. Stay in NYC - there are plenty of great places on the east coast. Our go to America's 2nd city (no - not chicago) L.A. - and avoid the boring smelly midwest altogether. I prefer the laid back monterey area for the true west coast

I'm sure there will be many chicagoans upset and whining and moaning about this posting.. but of course that proves my point (see above)

We do not say nice things about Boston or Philly or other EC cities. You gotta be kidding.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:22 AM

71 posts, read 73,336 times
Quote:
Great post!

I used to think there was nothing else that could compare to NYC in quality entertainment offerings, architecture, food, etc.

Then I went to Chicago.

Fact is, there are many cities out there that do offer things NYC does not, and vice versa. No denying it, but to go back to what he said about Chicago falling "incredibly short" to NYC. I think thats absurd.

We arent talking about Gary or Camden, or Des Moines.
I know both cities. Chicago doesn't even approach the level of urban sophistication of NYC. Put local pride aside and realize that NYC's public transportation, food options, culture, entertainment, commerce individually and combined have no real competitor in the US while many say, in the world.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:25 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Also, people I know who grew up in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens did, too. It depends on what you're talking about. If you're talking about dirty water hot dogs, not really so much, but halal food carts especially the chicken and rice, the meat skewers in chinatown and flushing, italian ices, sliced fruit and empanadas in washington heights and williamsburg, pozoles in sunnyside, arepas in jackson heights, coffee and a egg roll on any corner for a quick breakfast, etc. all seemed to be pretty common parts of the habit. Also, one of the families I lived with had an aunt who used to sell tamales and it was certainly the people who were of the neighborhood who bought them. It kind of makes sense given how freaking huge and diverse NYC is that there's relatively little in terms of a codified and set New York upbringing.
But this guy claims, he's lived in New York. Wow!

Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmind View Post
I know both cities. Chicago doesn't even approach the level of urban sophistication of NYC. Put local pride aside and realize that NYC's public transportation, food options, culture, entertainment, commerce individually and combined have no real competitor in the US while many say, in the world.

Right, and what do you say to the person who prefers the people of Chicago, the food of Chicago, the music of Chicago, the bars and entertainment of Chicago?

Quality > quantity.

London is in the realm if you ask me as far as offering goes, and in some ways, more.

NYC has almost everything, but it never tops city quality of life lists. Chicago usually finishes higher, and judging by the opinion of most on this board.

It doesnt have palm trees and beautifil weather year round like LA, or geography like Denver, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City