Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 04:17 PM

33 posts, read 32,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
There is something appealing about a city that is laid back and friendly. I'm sorry if you can't see that.
Since we are already generalizing......Chicagoans are "laid back" in some ways ok. In other ways they are uptight, rude, and impatient city dwellers just like New York's supposed image.
I've been there enough. New Yorkers seemed more outgoing than Chicagoans when I visited. New Yorkers do have an air of self importance that can mislead you to think they are stuck up. Not really the case once you talk to them. People in Chicago seem a little more whiney when conversing but liked to joke more than New Yorkers. These are just generalizations and opinions. No different than when a Chicagoans claim to be cleaner or nicer.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:22 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus PA View Post
LOL. I've been to both. Chicago is cleaner throughout the immediate downtown and towards the affluent North Side, but it gets pretty raggety and sometimes downright filthy as you work your way out from those areas west and south. NYC is not exactly the cess pool it use to be either, save for many parts of some boroughs. It's alot cleaner these days than it used to be. Impressively clean for New York the last time I visited. Chicago is not as crowded as New York. That does not mean Chicago's not crowded and congested. Chicago traffic snarls and commutes are nearly as bad as New York, yet Chicago is much smaller (about 6 million fewer) Chicago has more violent crime these days than New York. As for being more laid back, it's sometimes hard to tell by the Chicagoans on this forum but in general people from the midwest are less rude. Chicago is filled with midwesterners so...But again we are stereotyping. Every single New Yorker I met while I stayed there (in Manhattan) was far from egotistical. I had total strangers helping us at every turn in New York and in Philly too, just to be nice to tourists I guess. In Chicago, I actually don't see that very much from the natives. People seem friendlier in Chicago's suburbs than in the city.
I kind of assumed all of that. Obviously you can't apply a stereotype to millions and millions of people. The part in bold was more directed and a hand full of C-D posters than in really life. Everyone from New York I've met that has either moved to Texas or visited, seem friendly enough and don't really have huge ego about being from New York. Just goes to show that you can't judge a city bast on C-D posters.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:25 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,318 times
Quote:
Since we are already generalizing......Chicagoans are "laid back" in some ways ok. In other ways they are uptight, rude, and impatient city dwellers just like New York's supposed image.
I've been there enough. New Yorkers seemed more outgoing than Chicagoans when I visited. New Yorkers do have an air of self importance that can mislead you to think they are stuck up. Not really the case once you talk to them. People in Chicago seem a little more whiney when conversing but liked to joke more than New Yorkers. These are just generalizations and opinions. No different than when a Chicagoans claim to be cleaner or nicer.
I'll take your word for it. I've met way more New Yorkers in Texas than Chicagoans if that means anything.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:40 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,039 times
Quote:
These are just generalizations and opinions. No different than when a Chicagoans claim to be cleaner or nicer.
No one claimed Chicagoans to be cleaner, they said the city is.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:43 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,539,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
its far cleaner than nyc for one
Not hating on Chicago, but I don't find this to be true, having been to both cities.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:55 PM

672 posts, read 1,789,883 times
Chicago is cleaner without doubt. At least downtown and the CBD where I visited is.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:21 PM

185 posts, read 648,196 times
I love cities with mountains as backdrops like Seattle, I wish besides the water that NYC had the same backdrop, oh well.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:23 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
not tougher but in general Chicago seems more "american" to me so in general people from middle of the road might prefer Chicago over NYC.....
It was just a joke.I love NYC. Going there in January.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:56 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,315,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
am I safe to assume that people from Texas or other "laid back" areas in general might prefer Chicago over NYC whereares people from more "urban" "gritty" "diverse" areas might prefer NYC? remember the key term now "in general"
lol, im sorry if i'm coming at you the wrong way but (more lol's) chicago has its share of "grimey" "urban" people......just sayin

Old 12-08-2009, 08:01 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,315,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
theres no comparison between chicago and new york. New york competes wih london,paris etc. Not chicago or any other american city. So stop kidding yourselves
*sigh*

http://www.marketresearchbulletin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/wendys-girl.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City