Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:04 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I hope not, but we've beaten enough dead horses and went around enough circles here, haven't we?

And yes, the answer is quite "Gold" isn't it?
As well as "Pink", or sometimes it is "Magic"

Old 01-15-2010, 11:10 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
As well as "Pink", or sometimes it is "Magic"

I got ripped off bad at a "Magical" place a few years ago. That's what I get for not listening to the songs and not paying attention as I was a bit, um, distracted.

And my car was booted even though I paid . That parking lot across the street by the bus station.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:10 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,800 times
This thread has to hold a world record for longest running or something. 202 pages and people are still finding stuff to argue about. Crazy!

Old 01-15-2010, 11:17 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
When I first moved to Dallas I heard it had the most topless bars in the country or something along those lines. I dont have anything to prove it, just something I heard from a few people and a lesbian friend of mine.

Atlanta is definitely pretty lenient on its strip clubs rules. Which is good for business.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
When I first moved to Dallas I heard it had the most topless bars in the country or something along those lines. I dont have anything to prove it, just something I heard from a few people and a lesbian friend of mine.

Atlanta is definitely pretty lenient on its strip clubs rules. Which is good for business.

I think a "No Touching" rule has been implemented at a lot of them lately.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:31 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I think a "No Touching" rule has been implemented at a lot of them lately.
Guess I wont be coming back for a visit then. hehehe

Old 01-15-2010, 01:28 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
None of us are refuting the fact that Atlanta is a black mecca; rather we're arguing that Atlanta's appeal to African Americans doesn't allude to some sort of exclusivity or hostility towards non-blacks.

It seems that you and others are arguing that it's a negative for blacks to be attracted to Atlanta or that the city somehow bamboozles other African Americans into moving here out of some sort of false promise of affluence and success.
This is how I see it from my own personal opinion and experience.

Delta, Coke, Braves, Hawks, Falcons, GA Tech will always be identified with Alanta and none of these entities represent a single race. The thing is you will never turn on the television or the radio and hear about them constantly. Outside of CNN announcing that they're broadcasting from Atlanta you will not see CNN, TNT, CBS giving shout outs to Atlanta or advertising the city of Atlanta. What you will see is any mainly African American t.v. show set in Atlanta making it clear that they are in Atlanta. Every black film set in Atlanta will make sure that you know that they are in Atlanta and you will probably see more of the city then you would see the setting in other films. Almost every urban song produced in Atlanta we'll have "the A", "A-Town", "GA", "the ATL", tagged throughout it or the spell out A-T-L-A-N-T-A-G-A somewhere in the song. Most black businesses that set up shop in Atlanta that advertise outside of the area make it clear that they are in Atlanta. Most of the success stories from blacks that you see on t.v. always have that "I moved to Atlanta and everything just unfolded" theme.

I'm not saying that Atlanta purposely put's that out there, but it is definitely pushed from AA community in Atlanta. Although people should have enough sense to know that this doesn't guarantee anything, the average American believes whatever they see in the media.

Atlanta may not be anything like that, but that is definitely what is put out there and the further you get away from Atlanta, the less you know about. That's when perception starts to become everything.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:44 PM

572 posts, read 1,996,000 times
I'm curious. Are the strip clubs in atl or dallas full nudity or just topless?

Old 01-15-2010, 01:55 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
You are acting like these people are crazy for saying the media geared toward Atlanta is African American Centric. Indeed it is. And thats fine, but the unfortunate thing is that makes Atlanta look like its not diverse to people who dont live there and have never been there.
1) If many of these movies and shows are geared towards Blacks (and many of them are, especially since Tyler Perry blew up), then that won't reflect negatively on the city towards non-Blacks because they aren't watching these movies and shows anyway.

2) I'm not sure if the underlying theme here is the PC, post-modern elevation of diversity and multiculturalism as a virtue in and of itself (which in some ways I hate because it reduces people to race/ethnicity) or negative perceptions about Blacks. Both are quite misguided.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
I'm curious. Are the strip clubs in atl or dallas full nudity or just topless?

The ones in ATL are fully nude. Both female and male clubs. I guess there is something for everyone here after all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City