Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 04:22 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times

Advertisements

I'll just say that the temperature in both cities get a little too cool for my liking.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:43 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Which direction does DFW sprawls the most? I know that Atlanta's notheast and north sides are the most sprawling.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Which direction does DFW sprawls the most? I know that Atlanta's notheast and north sides are the most sprawling.
Northern parts of Dallas sprawl the most.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:17 PM

WOW! Dallas and Atlanta are similar!

Old 01-17-2010, 07:46 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
WOW! Dallas and Atlanta are similar!
A point that has been made over and over and over in this forum. Eureka.

Last edited by Iconographer; 01-17-2010 at 08:12 AM..

Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 AM

They're still very different on the other hand!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:24 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
They're still very different on the other hand!
The point being is that Atlanta and Dallas (also Houston) are very similar and also are the most alike cities then comparisons with others--i.e. Seattle, Philadelphia, etc. Any differences between the two are very minor.

In regards to weather, Atlanta and Dallas have the same climate overall and probably have the same comfort level in regards to the weather. In the summer, Dallas is hotter, but Atlanta is more humid. In the winter, Dallas is a little warmer but probably a little more prone to cold blasts and heat waves (high temps well into the 70s) whereas Atlanta's winters are a little cooler with more consistent temperatures (highs 50-60/lows 25-35).

To be more clear, Atlanta does get its share of cold blasts and warm-ups, but the temperature change isn't as abrupt and more gradual. Dallas on the other hand sits on the plains and is more susceptible to quick cold blasts coming unabated from the Arctic and rapid warm ups coming from either the Gulf or the Rocky Mtn. chinook winds. However as stated before, both cities have a very similar comfort level year round.

BTW--Although people claim that Dallas gets a lot of tornadoes, I must say that in recent years the Atlanta area has ironically had more destructive tornadoes--including the one that struck Downtown in March 2008.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:32 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
A little observation of Texas from my vantage point in Houston: DFW's and San Antonio's desirable suburbs are in the Northern half--away from Houston's sprawl along the West and the runner-up North (which are incidentally along the city's two interstates IH-10 and IH-45 which lead to the two major metros). It's like we are trying to catch up with them but they keep running away from us.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:33 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The only thing mentioned in that post that comes even close to answering a question is the statement, "Houston and Dallas have attracted a large number of African Americans for the same reason--being that they're both major Southern cities. The big difference among the two and Atlanta is that Atlanta is more centrally located in the South; thus making it more convenient for some folks to migrate here without having to be too far from their families."
How's that skirting around the question? I gave a very clear and concise answer in this part of the post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Atlanta is a black mecca and it will always be a black mecca given the fact that it's located in the heart of the Deep South--which is the American ancestral homeland for most African Americans...pure and simple. Not only that, Atlanta has several prominent historically black colleges, it was the headquarters of MLK's SCLC, and it has a very prominent place in black history. Additionally it's the commercial hub of the South--logically making it an ideal place for a black mecca.
If you ask most blacks, and even moreso most demographers and historians, they would tell you the same thing. I don't know what else to tell you. I mean there's no propaganda machine or brainwashing tactics being used. There's also no conspiracy among blacks to take over Atlanta and set up a sovereign state. There's no agenda to "stick it to the man". It's an overall positive thing.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:56 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
How's that skirting around the question? I gave a very clear and concise answer in this part of the post:

If you ask most blacks, and even moreso most demographers and historians, they would tell you the same thing. I don't know what else to tell you. I mean there's no propaganda machine or brainwashing tactics being used. There's also no conspiracy among blacks to take over Atlanta and set up a sovereign state. There's no agenda to "stick it to the man". It's an overall positive thing.
Gotta spread the rep around, but this response is pretty much on point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City