Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these American cities do you believe has a worldwide influence?
Philadelphia 31 19.25%
Boston 45 27.95%
New York City 127 78.88%
Providence 2 1.24%
Austin 3 1.86%
Chicago 78 48.45%
Seattle 23 14.29%
Los Angeles 110 68.32%
San Francisco 73 45.34%
Salt Lake City 5 3.11%
Albuquerque 5 3.11%
St. Louis 3 1.86%
Houston 34 21.12%
Minneapolis 4 2.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 03:40 PM

12 posts, read 9,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
When companies want to do busisness in Latin America they dont go to Buenos Aires or Mexico City they come to Miami.
No, they go to the capital of the particular country they are doing business with. Each Latin American country has its own currency and laws and conducting business out of one location is simply not practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Not sure why people do not understand why Miami is not the capital or if people want to argue one of the three capitals of Latin America.
Because nobody in Buenos Aires or Santiago sees Miami as such.

Last edited by IQPolice; 01-01-2010 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 03:47 PM

228 posts, read 460,367 times
Why is there no Atlanta, Washington D.C, or Dallas.What!?!? Atlanta and Dallas are international commercial cities, and D.C is the political capital of one of the most powerful countries in the world.

By the way, New York was a no brainer.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:08 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Miami only has influence on Latin America.
You are incorrect. Have you been to Miami? I live here and can tell you that there's a ton of Western and Eastern Europeans as well as middle easterners here. I even meet Aussies regularly who spend their 10 week sabatical in Miami Beach. From TV (Miami Vice, CSI Miami) to movies to music to fashion to architecture & design, Miami has a lot of influence in the world.

That all said, I will only comment on the other cities that I think have a global influence:

Tier One:

NYC - I think this one is obvious to everyone. It's America's city and the one that everyone around the world associates with our country.
D.C. - This is less obvious but D.C. has a HUGE influence over the world whether we think so or not. As the center of free world power, what happens in D.C. is felt globally.
L.A. - Along with NYC, L.A. influences global culture as well as incorporates other cultures into its offerings. It's sort of the blender of world cultures for mass consumption.

Tier Two:

San Francisco (only if it includes San Jose/Silicon Valley): The technological influence that Silicon Valley has is obvious and global.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
You are incorrect. Have you been to Miami? I live here and can tell you that there's a ton of Western and Eastern Europeans as well as middle easterners here. I even meet Aussies regularly who spend their 10 week sabatical in Miami Beach.
So what? Does it make Cancun infuential as well? I think you are mixing recognition with influence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
From TV (Miami Vice, CSI Miami) to movies to music to fashion to architecture & design, Miami has a lot of influence in the world. .
Miami Vice and CSI Miami only show Hollywood's influence if any...
C'mon now...

Old 01-01-2010, 04:47 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Miami is home to MANY Latin American headquarters of US companies, AND it is home to MANY Latin American banks. Miami has the most International banks of any US city. All of this has to count for something. But hey, this is C-D, you can throw all the facts you want, but if people don't hold that city in high regard, then it's like you're talking to a brick wall. Miami may not be the capital of Latin America(If there is one), BUT it IS influential in that part of the globe.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:50 PM

353 posts, read 816,691 times
to: IQPolice,

^^ With all the respect, most of your wording seemed acceptable until you said this phrase: " Miami Vice and CSI Miami only show Hollywood's influence if any..."

Your Joking right? these two shows have managed to portray Miami fairly well even though a lot of the scenes from CSI Miami are shot in Los Angeles due to a cheaper production Industry but I still think it does a well done job on portraying Miami with numerous shots of beaches, it's people and skyline.
and Miami Vice back in the 80s was shot here in Miami and it as well showed the real Miami to a lot of the tourists that would come here, in other words it showed a lot of what Miami was back then to the world.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami is home to MANY Latin American headquarters of US companies, AND it is home to MANY Latin American banks. Miami has the most International banks of any US city. All of this has to count for something. But hey, this is C-D, you can throw all the facts you want, but if people don't hold that city in high regard, then it's like you're talking to a brick wall. Miami may not be the capital of Latin America(If there is one), BUT it IS influential in that part of the globe.
ALRIGHT!
you go buddy, lol

Old 01-01-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
to: IQPolice,

^^ With all the respect, most of your wording seemed acceptable until you said this phrase: " Miami Vice and CSI Miami only show Hollywood's influence if any..."

Your Joking right? these two shows have managed to portray Miami fairly well even though a lot of the scenes from CSI Miami are shot in Los Angeles due to a cheaper production Industry but I still think it does a well done job on portraying Miami with numerous shots of beaches, it's people and skyline.
and Miami Vice back in the 80s was shot here in Miami and it as well showed the real Miami to a lot of the tourists that would come here, in other words it showed a lot of what Miami was back then to the world.
No, I am not. Surely Miami Vice and CSI Miami gave Miami a lot of national and international exposure but how does it translate into actual influence?

Old 01-01-2010, 05:02 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQPolice View Post
So what? Does it make Cancun infuential as well? I think you are mixing recognition with influence.

Miami Vice and CSI Miami only show Hollywood's influence if any...
C'mon now...
If you read my post again, I said that Miami has influence in Design, Music, Fashion & Architecture. It's not just about TV shows. But, since you went there, here's my response: So, since L.A. is the center of TV production and so influential, I guess Miami has an influence over them since they use Miami for their inspiration?

As for Cancun, do you really think that it has the same global influence as Miami? Really???

Why are there so many Miami haters here on CityData? As a native Westerner (Oregon and California) born of parents from Chicago and who has lived in Texas and North Carolina, I don't get all the hating on Miami. Without exception, EVERY single person who has come to visit me in Miami has loved it.

BTW, here's a little quiz: What's the most important art show in the entire country? It's ArtBasel in Miami Beach every December. The entire art world comes to Miami Beach every year for this globally important cultural event.

I am not going to consider Miami on my list because I am too close to it to be objective. So, my list remains as stated with NYC, LA and DC as a top tier and the Bay Area alone in a second tier. This doesn't mean that I don't love other cities too. For instance, I LOVE CHICAGO but I can't articulate its global influence in the way that I can for the cities I listed.

That all said, I am also not going to stand by and watch people belittle one of my cities without providing a response.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 01-01-2010 at 05:14 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQPolice View Post
No, I am not. Surely Miami Vice and CSI Miami gave Miami a lot of national and international exposure but how does it translate into actual influence?
actual Influence? Now you know that I'm not arguing how CSI Miami and Miami Vice influence the world in any matter, but it provides for a certain type of entertainment regarding the media which then translates into Miami's stronger Image and Influence over most if not all of the world.
The Spanish Media in my opinion is way stronger in Miami though than any other part of the world, a lot of the more famous spanish speaking Television Networks (Univision, Telemundo) are based in Miami due to Miami's Location and it's ever expanding influence in the spanish speaking world. so that has a lot to do with why most of the spanish speaking artists make their home here in Miami, the music industry and video is also extremely huge here which that AS WELL IMPACTS THE WORLD, as someone mentioned earlier. some of the famous spanish speaking hosts also make their home here in Miami such as (Cristina, Don Fransisco).

From Argentina to Chile to Colombia (said Cuba before, but I forgot for a second their government regime) and to a lesser extent Mexico, Miami should be seen to them quite important and a major player for part of their media and part of their economy.
again Miami has the advantage of it's location being so blessed with it's relatively close proximity to North, Central and South America (including of course the Caribbean.)
and to add as it has been said several times, it does hold the title for having the most Internation Banks in the United States, and as we know the United States is the most powerful country out there which also helps Miami dominate the Latin America Industry even further...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City