Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these American cities do you believe has a worldwide influence?
Philadelphia 31 19.25%
Boston 45 27.95%
New York City 127 78.88%
Providence 2 1.24%
Austin 3 1.86%
Chicago 78 48.45%
Seattle 23 14.29%
Los Angeles 110 68.32%
San Francisco 73 45.34%
Salt Lake City 5 3.11%
Albuquerque 5 3.11%
St. Louis 3 1.86%
Houston 34 21.12%
Minneapolis 4 2.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 03:08 PM

305 posts, read 771,379 times

Advertisements

Detroit. C'mon, everybody knows about Detroit.

....in all seriousness though, I'd have to say California (L.A. & S.F.), NYC, Chicago and Miami.

A lot of people tend to underestimate L.A. again when it comes to influence in other countries in terms of higher education:

USC offers America 101 for foreign students -- latimes.com

Quote:
The university has reason to offer the free, non-credit courses in American culture. For the eighth consecutive year, USC last year enrolled the largest contingent of foreign students of any U.S. university: more than 7,500, or about a fifth of its enrollment. Final numbers for the current school year are expected to be even higher, with India the largest exporter of students to USC and the People's Republic of China second and growing fast, officials report.

The university has recruitment offices in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Taipei and Tokyo, as well as in Mexico City, and it holds numerous events for prospective engineering students in India. It also has a network of 19 international alumni clubs, 16 of which are in Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 03:10 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Agreed...I'd say the same about San Francisco too. It's not nearly as important as Chicago.
The Bay Area is up there with NY and LA as far as cultural significance these days.

Our technologies have forced their way into the consciousness of the world and are destroying newspapers, reaking havoc in the music industry and movie industry and is reshaping media in general.

No, Im quite comfortable in saying that the Bay Area is more important than Chicago.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:15 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Bay Area is up there with NY and LA as far as cultural significance these days.

Our technologies have forced their way into the consciousness of the world and are destroying newspapers, reaking havoc in the music industry and movie industry and is reshaping media in general.

No, Im quite comfortable in saying that the Bay Area is more important than Chicago.

I was spilt between the two, I think they are more important then eachother in different aspects. Business wise Chicago probably has a greater importance worldwide and for cultural impact I would go with SF Bay Area.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
[/b]

I was spilt between the two, I think they are more important then eachother in different aspects. Business wise Chicago probably has a greater importance worldwide and for cultural impact I would go with SF Bay Area.
Interestingly, much of the Bay Area's cultural signifance is tied to for-profit businesses.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:23 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Interestingly, much of the Bay Area's cultural signifance is tied to for-profit businesses.
Good point, didn't think of it that way. +1 for you .

I tried to rep you but I guess I need to spread the wealth

Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Good point, didn't think of it that way. +1 for you .

I tried to rep you but I guess I need to spread the wealth
I can't rep ya either.

so i'll do it here...+1

Old 12-30-2009, 03:35 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Pretty reckless talk when time and again it's been shown that thier CSAs are within several percentage points. Not to mention the Bay Area is gaining fast as it's by far #1 in the country and possibly the world in venture capital investments which will pay off, and should pass Chicago within 5-10 years in economic output if not sooner. We just need another Yahoo, Google, Ebay, Facebook, Intel or Apple to get us over the hump.
Culturally I think the Bay may have Chicago beat...but I think the corporate significance of Chicago may be getting ignored a bit by the Bay Area forumers.

The CME is far more important than any single entity in the Bay Area (in my opinion). Hedging strategies are used by way of the CME by companies from San Francisco to Nebraska to New York to London to Beijing to Johannesburg and beyond. From the smallest farmer to the largest MNC, hedging is very important.

Apple produces iPods, computers, etc...but where are they hedging material prices in order to stabilize the volatility of costs and keep their bottom line green? The CME. Successful hedging may be one of the most important and vital parts of a company's business strategy...and it's implemented by basically every major company on the planet.

These strategies won't show up in Chicago's GDP...but they will in San Francisco's. So in effect, thanks to the CME--and Chicago--we see the GDPs of our cities grow.

It's easy to forget about the CME since it's not advertised to Joe Blow...but it's very important. You can see San Francisco's influence more than Chicago's when you're walking down the street. But just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's there.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 12-30-2009 at 03:46 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 06:21 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
hmm.......

New York City, Los Angeles..............maybe Chicago...
this.

i honestly don't know if chicago has much influence outside of the u.s. (other than the president).

Old 12-30-2009, 06:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
^^ The only cities that contribute significantly to the rest of the world is New York City and to an extent Los Angeles

you would be surprise of how many people just don't know about Chicago... I know it's a big deal for this country but I just don't think it's as big of a deal to the rest of the world...

I'm sorry I'm having a hard time understanding, does the OP mean significantly worldwide influence as in well known or significantly worldwide influence as in what the city provides for the world? or both?
cme has the largest options and futures exchange in the world, also the oldest in the world, it also owns the new york mercantile exchange.
chicago is VERY powerful influencer of economics. you also have chicago school of economics coming out of UC which greatly influenced the world. there are more econ nobel prize winners from UC than anywhere in the world.
chicago is the 4th ranked business center in the world in 2007 behind nyc/london/tokyo, 5th in 2008 dropped a spot to singapore ...it also has the 2nd largest cbd in the u.s.
ccx is also now there which will come into play with greenhouse capping.
there are also only 2 Alpha world cities in the u.s. by the GAWC 2008 .. .nyc and chicago
there are only 2 top 10 global financial cities in the u.s, nyc and chicago
rules are also set by gov and law decisions, which of the top 250 law firms in the u.s. #1 and #2 are *both* in chicago, 17 of the top 25 are either in nyc/dc/chicago, which i'll lead into in a second.

so, it really doesn't matter if they don't know or not, it is where it happens and all of the "experts" generally back this up.

the control centers of the u.s. are still largely dc/nyc/chicago (pentagon, congress, supreme court, mercantile exchange, stocks, options, futures, federal reserve, fbi, cia, un, big law)

fashion, consumer goods and media are not that critical to societal function but are great and will fade and go through trends, they will happen regardless of anything else, political and economic power is what controls everything.

california in general is still the large business driver though.

this thread has really pointed out on how little people know or what matters to them... lots of consumer whores lol!

Last edited by grapico; 12-30-2009 at 06:53 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 06:40 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,681 times
Definitely Albuquerque lol. Neighborhoods like Old Town, Nob Hill, and Sandia Heights are known all over New Mexico! After Albuquerque, I'd say Sacramento, Spokane, Louisville, and Ft. Walton Beach. Then maybe New York... ha ha ha

For real though, it'd be NYC, DC, LA, Chicago, Philly, Houston, San Francisco, Dallas, Miami, and Seattle. As far as influencing, I'd chop Miami and Seattle off this list...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City