Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these American cities do you believe has a worldwide influence?
Philadelphia 31 19.25%
Boston 45 27.95%
New York City 127 78.88%
Providence 2 1.24%
Austin 3 1.86%
Chicago 78 48.45%
Seattle 23 14.29%
Los Angeles 110 68.32%
San Francisco 73 45.34%
Salt Lake City 5 3.11%
Albuquerque 5 3.11%
St. Louis 3 1.86%
Houston 34 21.12%
Minneapolis 4 2.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 06:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times

Advertisements

Providence??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 06:47 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,640 times
NYC
LA
SF

Chi

And there being a HUGE gap between Chi and SF.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:59 PM

37 posts, read 34,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
So, that's all it needs. Do you know how BIG Latin America is? Miami has more of a Latin American influence then MOST cities do in other continents. Heck Miami even has MORE influence on Latin America, then cities that have a HIGH Asian population have on Asia, cities such as Boston, DC, LA, Houston, etc, etc.
And what exactly is Miami's influence over Latin America? It's not like Miami was the center of Latin culture worldwide.,..

Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 AM

353 posts, read 816,691 times
^^ Who says Miami is not the center of Latin Culture Worldwide?! As far as I know and I am Hispanic and Live Miami, Miami is most definitively the center for the Hispanic world culture. besides don't we all know that famous saying "Miami... the capital of Latin America."

Old 01-01-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
^^ Who says Miami is not the center of Latin Culture Worldwide?! As far as I know and I am Hispanic and Live Miami, Miami is most definitively the center for the Hispanic world culture. besides don't we all know that famous saying "Miami... the capital of Latin America."
Really? What does Miami have on Buenos Aires or Mexico City? Do you really think that the global center of Latin Culture would be outside of the region and not in a Spanish speaking country? Why?

Old 01-01-2010, 01:50 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescal View Post
And what exactly is Miami's influence over Latin America? It's not like Miami was the center of Latin culture worldwide.,..
Miami is the Latin American Headquarters for MANY American companies(Apple, Microsoft, etc, etc). And same question could be asked of MANY other cities in the US. WHAT the heck makes SF's influence over Asia great? Or NYC's influence over Europe great? People in Asia have Tokyo and Hong Kong and people in Europe have London, and Paris, Why the heck would they care about NYC and SF? See the questions I just asked will cause a backlash, because people have this notion that they can CHOOSE what city is influential to what country or continent, and they wanna leave CERTAIN cities OUT(Miami). Is NYC or SF or CHI or LA the center of Asian, European, or Latin American culture worldwide? I'm just saying, what qualifies NYC, to be the center of European, OR Asian culture? And to add, why couldn't they just put Microsoft and Apples Latin America headquarters in Sao Paulo, or Mexico City instead of Miami? Not to mention Miami has the most Diverse Latino population in the US, and that it is the headquarters of Univision, and MOST of the shows on Univision are filmed down there. I just don't understand C-D sometimes. People will constatnly criticize Miami calling it a city where you NEED to know Spanish, and it's a 3rd world country this that and the other, but then when you say it has GREAT influence over Latin America, people are like "WHOA!!! You're giving Miami too much power". Whoever denies Miami's influence over Latin America, has either NOT done there research, or has never been. And if you HAVE been then you MUST be blind, or in denial, or have a grudge against the city. You guys don't give Miami the proper credit. It's INSANE.

Last edited by polo89; 01-01-2010 at 02:03 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami is the Latin American Headquarters for MANY American companies(Apple, Microsoft, etc, etc). And same question could be asked of MANY other cities in the US. WHAT the heck makes SF's influence over Asia? Or NYC's influence over Europe? People in Asia have Tokyo and people in Europe have London, and Paris, Why the heck would they care about NYC and SF? See the questions I just asked will cause a backlash, because people have this notion that they can CHOOSE what city is influential to what country or continent. Is NYC or SF or CHI or LA the center of Asian, European, or Latin American culture worldwide?
I don't think any US city maybe be considered a center of culture anywhere else... Nobody claims New York is the center of European culture, that's absurd, nevertheless the fact that the UN, Wall Street, Broadway, New York Times and Wall Street Journal are located here makes the city relevant globally and somewhat influential. The same with LA and its movie business and DC with its political power and representing the enitre US...

Now, is SF influential in Asia? Is Miami really influential in Latin America?
Probably to some extent but nobody sane would call those cities global centers of Asian or Latin culture. Again, this would be absurd. Instead I would like to hear what exactly constitutes Miami's and SF's influence over the respective parts of the world...

Old 01-01-2010, 02:15 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Again, we're conflating influence in one region of the world as influence in all regions

ISEE - World Population Distribution Table

At the most, Latin America and the Caribbean makes up at the most 9% of the world population. Even if Miami was the 'capital of Latin America' (which in itself is greatly debatable), we are talking about a small proportion of the world population.

However, compared to most countries in the world, a disproportionate amount of American cities are considered world cities. For a country of its size (US has ~305 million people) and the age of the country (only 233 years old), this is a great accomplishment. Shouldn't we all be happy that more than one city are considered world cities? I can't think of many countries that has a world city in nearly every region of the country (try finding one in Northern UK or Southern Japan). Incredibly spoiled nation we are....

Old 01-01-2010, 03:01 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Really? What does Miami have on Buenos Aires or Mexico City? Do you really think that the global center of Latin Culture would be outside of the region and not in a Spanish speaking country? Why?
When companies want to do busisness in Latin America they dont go to Buenos Aires or Mexico City they come to Miami. Hundreds if not over a 1,000 multi national companies have their latin american HQs in Miami. And culture well Latin Americas largest television networks and some of the most popular shows are flimed in Miami. Telemundo, TeleFutura, Galavisión, Mega TV, Univisión, Univision Communications, Inc., Universal Music Latin Entertainment, RCTV International are all based in Miami. Of course we cant forget about Sabado Gigante a Saturday night variety show seen throughout the United States, South America and Europe, so SNL for Latin America is flimed in Miami. Some say Miami is the financial centre for Latin America as well. Miami does have the largest concentration of International banks in the US. Even my Latin American Geography book mentions Miami as one of the defacto capitals of the region.
Also lets not forget that Miami International handles over 70% of all Air Cargo from the region not just going to the US but going around the world. Lan Chile Cargo has their largest hub in Miami flying not only to South America but Europe. Also MIA is the largest gateway in the world to the region.

Not sure why people do not understand why Miami is not the capital or if people want to argue one of the three capitals of Latin America.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:05 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
I don't think any US city maybe be considered a center of culture anywhere else... Nobody claims New York is the center of European culture, that's absurd, nevertheless the fact that the UN, Wall Street, Broadway, New York Times and Wall Street Journal are located here makes the city relevant globally and somewhat influential. The same with LA and its movie business and DC with its political power and representing the enitre US...

Now, is SF influential in Asia? Is Miami really influential in Latin America?
Probably to some extent but nobody sane would call those cities global centers of Asian or Latin culture. Again, this would be absurd. Instead I would like to hear what exactly constitutes Miami's and SF's influence over the respective parts of the world...
I also don't think they are the CENTER of those places. I DO think they have a certain influence over them. I explained the reasons for Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City