Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these American cities do you believe has a worldwide influence?
Philadelphia 31 19.25%
Boston 45 27.95%
New York City 127 78.88%
Providence 2 1.24%
Austin 3 1.86%
Chicago 78 48.45%
Seattle 23 14.29%
Los Angeles 110 68.32%
San Francisco 73 45.34%
Salt Lake City 5 3.11%
Albuquerque 5 3.11%
St. Louis 3 1.86%
Houston 34 21.12%
Minneapolis 4 2.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 05:35 PM

353 posts, read 816,691 times

Advertisements

NOT CUBA, Miami's influence quickly stops in Cuba, however to the people living there Miami is quite influential for them and for the people living in Miami Cuba is quite significant for them (mostly due to families.) it is said that the reason Miami is what it has a lot to due with the Cubans, and I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 4,541 times
As a european, i can tell that it is NYC and Los Angeles.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:53 PM

33 posts, read 122,227 times
Definitely NYC and LA. Maybe DC. Maybe SF, but that's a stretch.

Definitely not Chicago, Dallas or Atlanta. Those are American cities, not global cities.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:35 AM

243 posts, read 224,761 times
For Sure:
New York City
Los Angels

Maybe:
San Francisco
Chicago

Old 01-02-2010, 09:25 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Most major US cities have some measure of worldwide influence, so significant is really a matter of degree. NYC, LA, DC, SF, Boston, and Chicago are all cities that have greater worldwide influence than cities elsewhere.

The first three shouldn't require much argument and are probably generally agreed upon, but the latter three might need some explanation.

The Bay Area is significant due to its large international communities that still have close ties to other countries, international renown through landmarks and tourism, Stanford and Berkeley which draw a huge and influential international crowd, and most importantly, the lion's share of US's public and private r&d funding in various areas that affect the world. Many of the companies based in the area have a huge international presence. There are plenty of metros with a good share of Fortune 500 or 1000 companies, but many of these companies have their operations catering much more to the US than the world.

Boston's worldwide influence is mostly from its universities (MIT and Harvard in particular) whose alumni have been and continue to be world leaders in political and financial spheres. Take a look at the list of MIT and Harvard alumni, professors, and affiliates and you'll see how incredible it is.

Chicago has significant clout in financial services due to its commodities market and also plays host to several large corporations that are focused on the global market (McDonald's, Boeing, Accenture, Kraft and its multitude of subsidiaries). It also has two major universities, Northwestern and University of Chicago, with the latter having been extremely influential (see the Chicago school of Economics) in the direction that national economies around the world have taken for better or worse.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:28 AM

156 posts, read 378,240 times
NYC, LA, and Washington DC. Yes DC is world renown as the city where the US Prez lives.

Then came SF, Chicago, Houston and so on.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:07 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
^^ harvard political clout is insane.... everything I have been involved with for international nfp's or doing work international governments has some direct involvement with harvard or at least has a few harvard grads on their board of directors often from ksg. It is funny to me because often Harvard is viewed as so elitist of people who go there, but I could think of about 10-20 other universities where the graduates think of themselves in higher regard or put themselves on a pedestal and view their own memberships more cliquey and exclusive for some reason. 4 of them you named would fit that bill in my experience, nw, uc, stanford, berkeley.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:18 PM

981 posts, read 806,119 times
There is only NYC and LA.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:26 PM

457 posts, read 1,109,138 times
Here is my stab at this fairly nebulous topic. The further down the list I got, the less certain I was of the choices. It is kind of hard to find a clear winner when comparing Mia to Phil for example.

Tier 1 and Tier 2: significant worldwide influence (comparable to Lon, Beijing, eventually Brussels)

Tier 1:
NYC/DC
NYC- UN, Wall Street, media.
DC- Not as famous as NYC or LA, but the capitol of the world's most powerful nation. Policy decision have global ramifications (monetary policy, trade , foreign policy). IMF, White House, military, the Fed, etc. Influence out of proportion to the scale of the actual city.

Tier 2:
LA- Hollywood/int trade hub. IMO, the city straddles tier 1. Obviously, influential. But its source of influence (entertainment/culture) is less important. Michael Jackson/Steven Spielberg vs. Barack Obama/Ben Bernanke.

Tier 3: not in headlines on a daily basis, but still exert significant influence overtime (Frankfurt, increasingly Brasilia, Seoul)

SF Bay Area- Silicon Valley, most innovative region. Culture: liberal politics, hippies, gay rights.
Chicago- the city's influence is broad based, 2nd largest financial center, culture, edu, etc.

Tier 4/5/6: influential cities, but not necessarily "significant" (Munich, Bangkok, Santiago, Ottawa, etc)

Tier 4:
Bos- Comparable to the tier 5 cities. But, its role as intellectual/innovation hub give it leg up, IMO.

Tier 5:
Mia, Phi, Hou, DFW, Atl- big MSAs, large int trade centers.

Tier 6:
Sea- major tech/ innovation center.
Det- losing relevance by the day, but still a major econ hub.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:55 PM

353 posts, read 816,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
Here is my stab at this fairly nebulous topic. The further down the list I got, the less certain I was of the choices. It is kind of hard to find a clear winner when comparing Mia to Phil for example.

Tier 1 and Tier 2: significant worldwide influence (comparable to Lon, Beijing, eventually Brussels)

Tier 1:
NYC/DC
NYC- UN, Wall Street, media.
DC- Not as famous as NYC or LA, but the capitol of the world's most powerful nation. Policy decision have global ramifications (monetary policy, trade , foreign policy). IMF, White House, military, the Fed, etc. Influence out of proportion to the scale of the actual city.

Tier 2:
LA- Hollywood/int trade hub. IMO, the city straddles tier 1. Obviously, influential. But its source of influence (entertainment/culture) is less important. Michael Jackson/Steven Spielberg vs. Barack Obama/Ben Bernanke.

Tier 3: not in headlines on a daily basis, but still exert significant influence overtime (Frankfurt, increasingly Brasilia, Seoul)

SF Bay Area- Silicon Valley, most innovative region. Culture: liberal politics, hippies, gay rights.
Chicago- the city's influence is broad based, 2nd largest financial center, culture, edu, etc.

Tier 4/5/6: influential cities, but not necessarily "significant" (Munich, Bangkok, Santiago, Ottawa, etc)

Tier 4:
Bos- Comparable to the tier 5 cities. But, its role as intellectual/innovation hub give it leg up, IMO.

Tier 5:
Mia, Phi, Hou, DFW, Atl- big MSAs, large int trade centers.

Tier 6:
Sea- major tech/ innovation center.
Det- losing relevance by the day, but still a major econ hub.
You must have been to harvard or something what a way to write really prestigious and elegant lol,
I disagree with the list though, but alright for the way you put things! well organize
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City