Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Tropical City Year Round?
Miami 140 70.35%
Orlando 7 3.52%
Los Angeles 7 3.52%
San Diego 11 5.53%
Other 47 23.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:18 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Hey now, I'd love to go to Cali. And don't group the whole state of Florida with the rest of the eastcoasters north of FLA. Florida is different. I would rather not be grouped with the rest of the east coast, because they look down on Florida also. I know you've experienced the condescending northerners living in Florida.
This sounds more like the words of Floridians I'm used to interacting with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Lets just leave it like this, Miami is the closest thing to the Tropics you're going to get in the mainland USA.
Agreed, and well said.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
And there is your answer right there…

I have always noticed that the bitter people of California, wait for the coldest day of the year in Florida (or in this case 25 years – lol)…to say “see Florida is no warmer than southern California in winter. Did you notice the locations of the people who were so “adamant” about saying Miami was not tropical…they were all from California. That should tell you something.
LOL where have you "always noticed" this?? How many Californians are you going to claim have done this? Do you usually receive a flurry of emails from random Californians right on the exact coldest day in Florida saying "Ha! We're warmer than you today, you guys suck!" or does this bitterness become apparent to you in the form of prank callers harassing you from CA? Do tell, I'd love to hear your explanation LMAO.

What exactly is it you seem to think has CA people as bitter as you claim? Where's the logic? The locations of these "adamant" (lol) people SHOULD actually tell you something. It should tell you that Californians are more familiar with and less apt to forget about Hawaii, and that looking at a poll asking which US city is the most tropical will trigger us to look for Honolulu, considering its the only major US city that exists IN THE TROPICS. We don't gain anything from Miami's temperature classification not being tropical (there was just evidence to the contrary) and not one of us was trying to have CA cities included since they are not at all tropical - which is one of our state's greatest attributes, our MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE.

I'm not going to stoop to your level and take jabs at Florida b/c that would be unnecessary and I have nothing against the state. Fortunately for FL you are not very representative of the general attitude of Floridians here on C-D.

Quote:
The bitter California posters…seeing not only the scientific facts, but how Miami crushes LA and San Diego in the poll ( and who hate the fact that south Florida has a unique climate on the USA mainland)…try to fight science and say scientists are wrong (they know more the Koppen. Trewartha…etc – lol).
Dude how do you come up with this ridiculous crap? Californians don't generally care in the slightest bit what kind of climate a state 3000 miles away would have! Why, in your warped mind, would you even consider believing such nonsense? LOL you've got serious issues. And why is it so hard for you to grasp that we don't at all care to have nor wish we had a tropical climate here in CA! As has already been stated, our Mediterranean climate is more desirable lol, you're not even applying logic to this. Man you must subscribe to all kinds of whacked out conspiracy theories.

Quote:
Why live your life so bitter
Great question. So why do you do it?

Quote:
just accept that Miami is the USA mainland’s only tropical city/metro
You're not very sharp, are you? You must suffer from that same reading disability you suggested to Montclair if you missed the fact that there was a consensus between basically everyone that Miami is as tropical as you can get on the mainland US. Try and keep up.

Last edited by jman650; 01-06-2010 at 04:58 AM..

Old 01-06-2010, 11:43 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
jman650: Your "crowded city" list is bogus! Miami crowded? Sure, in a few tourist areas, but most of the city is not. Mpls/St Paul? Don't think so, I live here. I suspect they used the MSA population as the numerator, with the city land area as the denominator. Detroit? It's half trhe size it was 40 years ago, and even then, the bulk of the residences are one story bungalows, and other detached single occupant houses. San Francisco? Yes, it is dense, but the only areas so "crowded" as to possibly threaten someone's health would be the older parts of Chinatown.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
jman650: Your "crowded city" list is bogus! Miami crowded? Sure, in a few tourist areas, but most of the city is not. Mpls/St Paul? Don't think so, I live here. I suspect they used the MSA population as the numerator, with the city land area as the denominator. Detroit? It's half trhe size it was 40 years ago, and even then, the bulk of the residences are one story bungalows, and other detached single occupant houses. San Francisco? Yes, it is dense, but the only areas so "crowded" as to possibly threaten someone's health would be the older parts of Chinatown.
I can't speak on that b/c I have never been to Miami or Minneapolis, and I found Detroit surprising as well. But keep in mind that I didn't create that list, I only attempted to find out specifically what major cities ranked as the most crowded and that's what came up. My point, however, was made and is still very valid: there is obviously no shortage of crowding in cities along the Eastern seaboard. Anything in that list not on the East Coast was irrelevant to what I was getting at.

The other poster made the moronic claim of "no crowds" existing in this countries most heavily-populated region, which I provided evidence to the contrary of (as though we all didn't already know how incorrect that statement was). There was no specification as to health hazards and such; just a claim of crowds being non-existent. Population density would immediately counter that claim, and I'm not even sure where in CA he had in mind when he was describing the East as being superior for that reason.

If you'd prefer a different list, here's one of the 50 most densely populated cities in the US. #'s 1-6 are all in the East Coast, as well as a total of 32 out of that 50.

50 Most Densely Populated US Cities - InfoPogo

Old 01-07-2010, 10:54 AM

358 posts, read 754,731 times
Where you at wavehunter? You certainly took a beating since your last post!
Of course Miami is the most tropical in the continental U.S, but to think people living in SoCal are bitter because it's not more like Miami is hilarious. They go to Hawaii for a REAL tropical setting. Get real...

This might be first and only poll I've ever seen Miami run away with so you must be gloating now.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:21 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
Other(s): Hilo - it's definitely tropical. Honolulu - it's barely tropical.

The FLA cities listed are in a Humid Subtropical climate zone, and therefore, have some tropical and some midlatitude characteristics.

LA and SD are Mediterranean, strictly a midlatitude type (although SD is at the extreme southern limit of that zone and is borderline Fog Desert - a rare subtropical zone).

Old 01-07-2010, 02:50 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Other(s): Hilo - it's definitely tropical. Honolulu - it's barely tropical.

The FLA cities listed are in a Humid Subtropical climate zone, and therefore, have some tropical and some midlatitude characteristics.

LA and SD are Mediterranean, strictly a midlatitude type (although SD is at the extreme southern limit of that zone and is borderline Fog Desert - a rare subtropical zone).
Orlando is the only city on the list in a "Humid SubTropical Zone" Miami is "True Tropical"

Old 01-07-2010, 02:55 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Miami is "True Tropical"
True Tropical what?

More of this nonsense...ugh.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Honolulu and San Juan.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:22 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Orlando is the only city on the list in a "Humid SubTropical Zone" Miami is "True Tropical"
I concede the Keys have a tropical wet - dry climate. But not Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City