Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best nightlife city
Los Angeles 16 12.90%
Miami 28 22.58%
New York City 63 50.81%
Other 17 13.71%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:44 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,793,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
It is not that bad. Most of them stick to Manhattan clubs. There are some clubs and bars in Brooklyn that would not even let them in dressed like clowns.
True, but it depends where in Brooklyn. Brooklyn is actually the capital of the hipsters - Williamsburg. Williamsburg is so infested that it's ruined, just like most of Manhattan. Greenpoint, Cobble Hill, and now Carroll Gardens are getting ruined. They also are moving into the yuppy community of Park Slope. Oh, and Red Hook.

Since you're Russian, my guess is you're talking about the southern part of Brooklyn, near Coney Island; but the northern part of Brooklyn is as bad as Manhattan with hipsters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 10:46 PM

327 posts, read 1,051,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Thanks!

The difference is that in any other city in the USA if you are in a club or bar you can point the hipsters out of the crowd; in NYC, the hipsters ARE the crowd, and you can point the few non-hipsters out of the crowed.
There are hipsters everywhere. NYC has a lot of hipsters but they also have a lot of everything else and there are more then enough spots you can go and not experience what you stated in your posts. NYC has diversity and a big fashion crowd, it makes things interesting, i dont think its a negitive upon the city. Iv experienced the nightlife in many cities and i can vouge that NYC doesnt just stand around with there "retro sneakers and skinny jeans." Maybe in Willamsburg or some spots in LES but not all over.

And for Chicago...i think its a badass city. Before I lived in the area (for like 5-6 months) I was always preoccupied with NYC but i knew Chicago was a dope city. I know people that take trips out there regulary for vaction and always have a good time. A friend of mine just took a trip out for new years and had a great time, and trust me this chick can party.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:53 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,190,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
True, but it depends where in Brooklyn. Brooklyn is actually the capital of the hipsters - Williamsburg. Williamsburg is so infested that it's ruined, just like most of Manhattan. Greenpoint, Cobble Hill, and now Carroll Gardens are getting ruined. They also are moving into the yuppy community of Park Slope. Oh, and Red Hook.

Since you're Russian, my guess is you're talking about the southern part of Brooklyn, near Coney Island; but the northern part of Brooklyn is as bad as Manhattan with hipsters
I'm surprised how many New Yorker's I've talked in real life and on C-D to are completely oblivious about the reputation of Williamsburg. I was born and raised in Texas and I've never been to New York but I've heard about Williamsburg. I know a lot of my favorite bands are based out of that area now.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:55 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,964,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Same with Austin. Supposedly, every one in five people you meet downtown on any given night is an artist, musician, or film maker.
Haha, SO TRUE about Austin.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Haha, SO TRUE about Austin.
Every time I go to Austin, I meet a filmmaker or someone who's in a band. You throw rock in a bar on 6th Street and there's a good chance you hit a musician.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Every time I go to Austin, I meet a filmmaker or someone who's in a band. You throw rock in a bar on 6th Street and there's a good chance you hit a musician.
They don't call it the live music capitol of the world for no reason. And there are alot of filmmakers, there are also quite a few actors and actresses that live in Austin.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:21 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,802,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Yeah, and that's primarily in the Midwest. Why would people choose Chi-town over NYC or LA?
Because not everyone is like you maybe?

And who says that acknowledging Chicago as a fun party town diminishes LA and New York? Going to Chicago to have fun does not mean you are choosing it over New York, it means you are going there to have new experiences.

There is fun to be had in the Midwest, especially when its nice outside.

I stop the discussion there once the "Chicago is in the Midwest" statement is brought up.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
They don't call it the live music capitol of the world for no reason. And there are alot of filmmakers, there are also quite a few actors and actresses that live in Austin.
Yep. This is true. A lot of celebrities spend a lot of time in Austin as well. My friend met Gene Simmons at a bar in Austin. She went up and asked for his autograph and Gene Simmons turned around and asked for her's, as joke of course my friends not famous. But anyway celebrities show up in clubs and bars all the time in Austin. Quite a few have bought secondary or permanent homes there. Granted, most Austinites are too laidback and "cool" to make a big deal about it. As for the hipster thing, I really don't mind all the hipsters, musicians, and filmmakers in Austin. Most of them pretty laidback and friendly, and aren't as pretentious and snobby as the hipsters and yuppies I've met from the Dallas area (excluding Denton).

Old 01-10-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Yep. This is true. A lot of celebrities spend a lot of time in Austin as well. My friend met Gene Simmons at a bar in Austin. She went up and asked for his autograph and Gene Simmons turned around and asked for her's, as joke of course my friends not famous. But anyway celebrities show up in clubs and bars all the time in Austin. Quite a few have bought secondary or permanent homes there. Granted, most Austinites are too laidback and "cool" to make a big deal about it. As for the hipster thing, I really don't mind all the hipsters, musicians, and filmmakers in Austin. Most of them pretty laidback and friendly, and aren't as pretentious and snobby as the hipsters and yuppies I've met from the Dallas area (excluding Denton).
So true. RARELY do you ever here any of us Austinites bragging about being the live music capitol of the world. We really don't care.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:01 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,479,313 times
Quote:
New Orleans and Miami are built for nightlife. That is their claim to fame Dallas and Phoenix not so much.
Yeah, that was EXACTLY my point.

Quote:
But 8+ million vs 4 million? Yes that is when the population means something. An over 4 million people difference is a lot to come here and say NY=LA.
Oh THAT's when the population means something. I got it now. Its when YOUR East Coast city of preference is the one that comes out looking dominant. Okay, thanks for clearing that up. So I guess this means you admit that LA has WAY better nightlife than Miami since it has 10x its population - or to put it in your terms its 4,000,000+ to 362,000. I wouldn't have expected you to choose a method that would by default eliminate Miami from contention vs. LA, but congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City