Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 09:07 PM

531 posts, read 1,143,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
San Francisco is now at 36.

SF over the past several years:

2009 - 47
2008 - 99
2007 - 100
2006 - 86
2005 - 96
2004 - 88
36?! San Fran has 4x the population of my city (Rochester) and only 2 more murders so far this year. Clearly San Fran is doing something right! I've always heard that San Fran had a big gang/violence problem--looks like they've done a hell of a job cleaning it up over the last 2 years. Do you know what has stimulated the improvement??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 12:12 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
36?! San Fran has 4x the population of my city (Rochester) and only 2 more murders so far this year. Clearly San Fran is doing something right! I've always heard that San Fran had a big gang/violence problem--looks like they've done a hell of a job cleaning it up over the last 2 years. Do you know what has stimulated the improvement??
Violent crime really isn't down that much, except for murders though. I'm not sure yet if the cops are really doing that much differently or if it's mostly just luck or what. We have a new chief who is supposedly shaking things up and improving them, but there have still been some pretty high profile incidents and scandals this year anyways (such as tourists getting murdered, stolen evidence from the SFPD drug lab causing 700 or so drug dealers to be released, two assistant chiefs and a commander getting demoted for covering up the drug lab thing, the SFPD getting caught underreporting violent crime stats, and an evidence warehouse infested with feral cats).

Old 09-17-2010, 06:04 AM

922 posts, read 1,697,900 times
Quote:
ALL justified homicides are included? I didn't know that--that may in fact cause LA's stats to be misleading.

Yeah, long as I've know LAPD has always included all deaths cause by another person except vehicle crimes & police involved deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Interesting same as D.C until 1969 and never looked back until now but I thought before 1970's was the 1960's

Here go the DC numbers for 60-85, almost every city had a huge jump after 1967.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:49 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
San Francisco is now at 36.

SF over the past several years:

2009 - 47
2008 - 99
2007 - 100
2006 - 86
2005 - 96
2004 - 88
wow that means san fran must of sky rocketed in murders this year since its already close to last years amount.

then again its the middle of septemeber with only 3 more months left of the year.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:38 PM

531 posts, read 1,143,716 times
yeah and in most cities a HUGE majority of the homicides take place in the summer.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:06 PM
rah

Quote:
yeah and in most cities a HUGE majority of the homicides take place in the summer.
I feel like SF doesn't have much of a spike in the summer, as our summers aren't exactly hot, like they are in other places. Sure there's probably a rise due to all the kids who have no school, but murders seem to mostly come in random spurts over here. There's not much rhyme or reason. from 2005-2008 SF averaged 8 or so murders a month...there was an August that saw an abnormally high total of 21 people murdered...but that same year we saw 10-20 people murdered in January too.

I would even say hot weather can slow murders down over here. We're used to 50-70 degree weather most of the year, so when it gets above 80, half of us go into a coma and try our best not to move very much...but i already explained how our murders seem to come in random spurts, so who knows what's up. There's definitely not much of a trend like you see in Chicago, though.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:04 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
I feel like SF doesn't have much of a spike in the summer, as our summers aren't exactly hot, like they are in other places. Sure there's probably a rise due to all the kids who have no school, but murders seem to mostly come in random spurts over here. There's not much rhyme or reason. from 2005-2008 SF averaged 8 or so murders a month...there was an August that saw an abnormally high total of 21 people murdered...but that same year we saw 10-20 people murdered in January too.

I would even say hot weather can slow murders down over here. We're used to 50-70 degree weather most of the year, so when it gets above 80, half of us go into a coma and try our best not to move very much...but i already explained how our murders seem to come in random spurts, so who knows what's up. There's definitely not much of a trend like you see in Chicago, though.
so weather in san fran doesnt vary by the month?? it could be 70 in both january and july?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:28 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
so weather in san fran doesnt vary by the month?? it could be 70 in both january and july?

Summer and Winter are by far the coldest seasons in SF... it'd be more like 50 in both January and July.

Wow @ SF only being at 36 though... that's almost the same rate as NY. I've heard of a lot of incidents happening this year too (that kid with the red shoes who got the **** beaten out of him on BART on the way to San Bruno, that German tourist who got shot, the psycho driver who ran over 5 people, etc). I'm genuinely surprised its that low.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:47 PM
rah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Summer and Winter are by far the coldest seasons in SF... it'd be more like 50 in both January and July.

Wow @ SF only being at 36 though... that's almost the same rate as NY. I've heard of a lot of incidents happening this year too (that kid with the red shoes who got the **** beaten out of him on BART on the way to San Bruno, that German tourist who got shot, the psycho driver who ran over 5 people, etc). I'm genuinely surprised its that low.
Yeah it is surprising especially considering that 2009 and 2010's low numbers came right after two years of record highs for the murder rate (SF's murder rate was higher in both 2007 and 2008, than it had been since 1995).

One reason why it seems so surprising is that while the murder rate has dropped so much, violent crime really hasn't gone down too much overall. To many people SF seems just as violent as always (since most people never witness a murder), and then they see those numbers and do a double take...you have basically the same number of assaults, rapes, robberies as in previous years, it's just that people have been killing each other less. Also, that actor got beaten for wearing red shoes the 9 San Bruno bus line, not on BART.

But yeah, 36 is really low for SF. Hopefully it stays as low next year as it has been for the past couple years.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:52 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Yeah it is surprising especially considering that 2009 and 2010's low numbers came right after two years of record highs for the murder rate (SF's murder rate was higher in both 2007 and 2008, than it had been since 1995).

One reason why it seems so surprising is that while the murder rate has dropped so much, violent crime really hasn't gone down too much overall. To many people SF seems just as violent as always (since most people never witness a murder), and then they see those numbers and do a double take...you have basically the same number of assaults, rapes, robberies as in previous years, it's just that people have been killing each other less. Also, that actor got beaten for wearing red shoes the 9 San Bruno bus line, not on BART.

But yeah, 36 is really low for SF. Hopefully it stays as low next year as it has been for the past couple years.

Oh I heard it happened on BART.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City