Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 10:24 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
If you consider downtown Atlanta the heart of the city, getting better but still on life support. Yes I would have rather had the stadiums in CC but I enjoy sports and will take CC Philly over downtown Atlanta everyday of the week. Great part is I can walk two blocks get on the subway and then walk 2 minutes to the stadiums and return, and when i get back I am in the middle of a great downtown, off task, either way I will take the Philly sport environment over Atlanta as well, way better sports town and sports fans. But we can agree to disagree
LOL! On life support? Really?

I guess we should all aspire to having police precincts in the stadiums, with a nice little flash-mob scene after the game for added flavor.

Bragging rights, indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 10:31 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Bragging rights, indeed.
Dont worry we love Philly Sports and we are some of the best fans in the USA. Hope to see another Northeast World Series.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:32 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
LOL! On life support? Really?

I guess we should all aspire to having police precincts in the stadiums, with a nice little flash-mob scene after the game for added flavor.

Bragging rights, indeed.
Well a stadium next to highways (baseball), football stadium next to CNN (that area looks like a suburban office park and think the barren coke-land or whatever is there too), just saying the stadiums in downtown Atlanta dont really feel like they are in the middle of anything, you could say the same about Philly, a great sports complex maybe not location

Maybe uptown Atlanta, seems to be getting much better, seriously, have enjoyed that area recently but downtown Atlanta, come on, that area still needs much work to feel like a place people want to do anything but work, commute to or visit an aquarium.

But again i am off task, and I would actually take the Linc and Citizens bank over the two Atlanta stadiums purely on the basis of stadiums as well, a vast improvement over the Vet, likely the worst sports stadium ever built

Old 04-01-2010, 11:42 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Wrong, but thanks for playing.

I'm quite sure that more than a few New Yorkers are embarrassed that MSG is their signature arena. I know I would be. The city deserves much, much better.

That goes for Penn Station too. I consider that to be the ultimate dump of a train station. The fact that they tore down the original is a crime, imo.

No, we're not embarrassed over having the "most famous arena"

Old 04-01-2010, 12:02 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
You can take the subway to all four Major league sports venues in Philly, also in NY and Chicago. In Boston all except Gilette
You can take the train to Gillette Stadium.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:37 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
No, we're not embarrassed over having the "most famous arena"
Exactly, I grew up going to the Garden. One of the best venues in the country.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:41 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
You can take the subway to all four Major league sports venues in Philly, also in NY and Chicago. In Boston all except Gilette
Incorrect! Boston does have a rail line running down to Gillette, it's just not as convenient as the others haha.

There isn't a regular service to Foxboro, but they will run on gamedays.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:03 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Nobody likes shlepping across parking lots, it is certainly not unique to Atlanta.

At least Atlanta has all of it's facilities in the heart of the City, not out in the middle of barren parking lots away from everything.
Wouldn't you put Turner field in the same category as the Philadelphia stadiums in terms of "barren" and "in the middle of parking lots"? I think most would...

Old 04-01-2010, 01:11 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Wouldn't you put Turner field in the same category as the Philadelphia stadiums in terms of "barren" and "in the middle of parking lots"? I think most would...
Sort of, but it isn't nearly as remote as the Philly venues.

I have walked to it from the Georgia State train station more times than I can count, so it really isn't that bad.

I just wish the regonfiguration after the Olympics had been reversed to the opposite end of the field. That would have brought the park about 2 blocks closer to Downtown than it is.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:18 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
And NYC has Penn station and multiple subway lines under MSG...big deal. A lot of cities do.
It's a "neat" feature in a city that has little to no adequate public transpiration. Boston Garden is the same way, with 4 commuter rail lines and three subway lines located underneath. It's the sort of thing that just makes sense. An interesting topic might be "what sports facilities do not require a car for fan access?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City