Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 08:08 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
No harm...No foul...No Injury....MARYLAND wasn't listed by the O..P'er
...I went to both DC and Baltimore in 1978 and neither one was SOUTHERN.......
Whether it was 1978 or 1987 or 2003 you did not travel to other parts of Maryland other than the Baltimore-Washington Corridor......

And if you judging based on Urbanism then Richmond, Newport News, Norfolk, Atlanta, and New Orleans is not "SOUTHERN"...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Haven't you heard of world class southern cities???
Then Baltimore and DC are World Class Southern Cities............

Old 05-23-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Haven't you heard of world class southern cities???
not yet...I guess Miami might qualify as being one..but other than that, I cant say I have..
Atlanta?..
I think Atlanta is a great city with a huge and diverse population. Many lucrative worldclass enterprises and amenities there. But do I think it is World Class yet? No. Nor do I think Houston or Dallas are. They may be approaching world class status, but do I think they are currently in the league of L.A. and NY and Chicago?...on a national scale yes...on a world recognition scale, no not yet.

After the 1996 World Olympics there are more people around the world that are aware of Atlanta's existence it may not be on the Same World Class Rank as Baltimore and Washington but Atlanta is a World Class City and Miami too.....

Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Whether it was 1978 or 1987 or 2003 you did not travel to other parts of Maryland other than the Baltimore-Washington Corridor......

And if you judging based on Urbanism then Richmond, Newport News, Norfolk, Atlanta, and New Orleans is not "SOUTHERN"...........
Oh by the way I was stationed in YORKTOWN VA in the USCG
for about 7 Months so I knew the below mention area very well
Richmond....Newport News...Hampton...Norfolk...Virginia Beach
Chesterpeake...Raliegh NC are all SOUTHERN NON WORLD CLASS
CITIES..Baltimore is a HONORABLE MENTION WORLD CLASS CITY
and DC is a SECOND TIER BETA WORLD CLASS CITY..Charleston SC
and Columbia SC along with Chattonoga and Knoxville Tennessee are
also NON WORLD CLASS "SOUTHERN CITIES"..Tulsa...Nashville..Memphis
..New Orleans .Charlotte...Tampa/St. Peterburg..Orlando..Jacksonville
are ALL HONORABLE MENTION WORLD CLASS CITIES..

Last edited by Howest2008; 05-24-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Then Baltimore and DC are World Class Southern Cities............
Baltimore is a HONORABLE MENTION WORLD CLASS CITY and DC is
in the SECOND TIER/RANKING of "BETA" WORLD CLASS CITIES
1.ALPHA
A
B
C

2.Beta
A
B
C

3Gamma
A
B
C

HONORABLE MENTION
First Tier

HONORABLE MENTION
Second Tier

Old 05-25-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Baltimore is a HONORABLE MENTION WORLD CLASS CITY and DC is
in the SECOND TIER/RANKING of "BETA" WORLD CLASS CITIES
1.ALPHA
A
B
C

2.Beta
A
B
C

3Gamma
A
B
C

HONORABLE MENTION
First Tier

HONORABLE MENTION
Second Tier
Baltimore and DC are HONORABLE Mention World Class Southern Cities.........

Old 05-29-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Baltimore and DC are HONORABLE Mention World Class Southern Cities.........
If you say "so" , but to me they are EASTERN SEABOARD CITIES like
NYC Philly and Boston.....

Old 05-30-2010, 12:46 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,679 times
Ironically, I think Florida is the state with the least demonstrable southern influence although it’s the southernmost state of the list besides maybe some parts of southern Texas which I honestly consider to be Northern Mexico. The most Southern flavor; I would have to agree with Mississippi.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:45 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMAZBOI4U View Post
Ironically, I think Florida is the state with the least demonstrable southern influence although it’s the southernmost state of the list besides maybe some parts of southern Texas which I honestly consider to be Northern Mexico. The most Southern flavor; I would have to agree with Mississippi.
i, for one, agree and stand w/ you about ms. i really get tired of people bashing the state. just as every other, it has its problems, yet, from the state's northern region to its southern region, to the east and to the west, i have found the state to be a collection of wonderful people. down to earth, gracious, welcoming, and full of pride. many are poor, but i had one of the best dinners in my entire life just outside of ripley, ms. a lady, who worked as an lpn invited me, and my college room mates to her very humble home, which was so far back in the sticks that i could never find it again on my own. she wanted to thank us for singing at her mother's funeral service. she stated that she could not afford to pay us for our deed, but she wanted to cook for us. my best friend was the son of her mother's emergency room doctor, and my best friend was finishing up undergraduate school, and preparing to enter medical school. it was one of the most humbling things i have ever had the pleasure of being involved. she prepared fresh fried chicken, fresh cured ham, all the vegetables were from her garden. purple hull peas, butter beans, sliced tomatoes, fried okra, new potatoes w/ green beans, fried squash, turnip greens, and skillet corn bread. for dessert, homemade caramel pie, chocolate pie, and homemade ice cream w/ fresh carrot cake. iced tea w/ fresh lemon to drink---we brought the lemon because i love it in my tea.

as we began to eat, i noticed how hot it was i the house at the dinner table. she had no air conditioning. i noticed that it was sort of dark in the house, even though the doors to the kitchen and front were open. suddenly, we heard thunder, and the sky opened up w/ rain on the tin roof of her home. we talked as much as possible, we laughed as small impish children, and gobbled down this royal feast in the true country southern style. it was a blessing, and, for some reason i thought of the gospels, when jesus went to mary's and martha's house. how much this woman was concerned about our visit and our company.

frankly, i had never been in such an old and poorly appointed house. cardboard and plastic on the windows, wide plank floors which allowed us to see the ground in some areas, and a valid fear and concern that the struggling structure would w/stand the storm were just some of the things on our minds, initially. in order to catch the rain water,pots had to be dispersed throughout some of the rooms. as we continued the meal, i closely watched our hostess, i watched her smiles, her pride in her ability to please so many w/ the food prepared, her love for the life she was living. i remembered then what my parents had told me on several occasions, before visiting someone, regardless of who they might be: "...you accept a piece of bread w/ a smile and a spirit of graciousness w/ a genuine show of thankfulness and a hearty "thank you", whether it has peanut butter on it or cavier, you make sure that you thank them for the extra effort."

it was about a month ago that my best friend and i spoke. i brought up the subject of jeanie, and, i asked how she was doing. i was saddened to learn of her death about three weeks prior to this conversation. my friend and i went on to discuss what we have always called "jeanie's meal". after i hung up the phone, i welled up w/ tears, continued to think of that southern experience in ms, said a prayer of thanksgiving for her life, and went to bed a better person. to conclude, i have been to many fine events in ms where the finest silver, placements, servants, and food and drink have been served ms style. these events were just as fine, they were just in another venue. i'm glad ms can be itself, w/out the apparent need to reinvent itself as the east, pacific west or mexico.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:36 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMAZBOI4U View Post
I just noticed the OP specified “North of Orlando”. How fair is that considering the bulk of Florida’s population is concentrated in the south. North Florida definitely feels “southern” but that isn’t where most of its millions reside. Just a side note…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City