Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 01:00 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
no you are wrong.
political, economic, military, cultural, academic, diverse population, international headquarters, etc.

" Japanese society is linguistically and culturally homogeneous with small populations of foreign workers."

There are only 140k expatriates from the west in the entire country. There are only a combined 30k people from the u.s., british, french in the tokyo metro of 35 Million.

This is what I mean when I say Tokyo is VERY provincial compared to new york and london.

In just new york city there are 700K people from JUST china.

almost 40% of new york city wasn't even born in the united states...

see the difference?
Gotcha. Yes you are correct but that doesn't mean Tokyo doesn't have the same global influence as NYC and London. See previous points.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Gotcha. Yes you are correct but that doesn't mean Tokyo doesn't have the same global influence as NYC and London. See previous points.
I already said it has a large GDP, and it is certainly a very very large city, otherwise it is simply not there on a broad range of categories which most people judge global cities by. The west made it a point that Japan would never rise to their former level again, and it has remained that way. The institutions put in place are set up that way by definition and Japan has signed off on it and acted accordingly. Tokyo is where it is because the West decided to let them be a producer and rebuild.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:14 PM

245 posts, read 215,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I already said it has a large GDP, and it is certainly a very very large city, otherwise it is simply not there on a broad range of categories which most people judge global cities by. The west made it a point that Japan would never rise to their former level again, and it has remained that way. The institutions put in place are set up that way by definition and Japan has signed off on it and acted accordingly. Tokyo is where it is because the West decided to let them be a producer and rebuild.

Additionally it is hard to imagine Tokyo being a world cultural hub since Japanese culture is very homogenic and its population xenophobic. Japanese do not have any aspirations to the status of world cultural hub like London, New York or Paris.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:14 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
What? Not this again...

Okay yes, Hong Kong can financially compare to New York, it's still behind NYC but it's projected to be a real threat to NYC's financial sector in a few years.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:55 PM

245 posts, read 215,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
What? Not this again...

Okay yes, Hong Kong can financially compare to New York, it's still behind NYC but it's projected to be a real threat to NYC's financial sector in a few years.

That MAY happen. New York however, besides being (arguably) a financial center of the world also serves as (arguably) cultural center of the English speaking world. Arguably because of fierce competition between London and NYC but neither Hong Kong nor Tokyo even aspire to that status.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:18 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carverR View Post

Most Midwesterners don't fit well anywhere outside of Midwest...
I'm not a Midwesterner. My point still stands.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:20 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Frankly I'm tired of New Yorkers associating themselves with their city.

Your just a person. You live in New York.

Please get over yourself. That goes for anyone who ties their self worth to their city...job...income...etc etc etc.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I was being sarcastic.
That's funny. I thought people from the NE were supposed to be the masters of sarcasm while the rest of us just watch it fly right over our heads. Could it be that maybe those claiming that to be the case were full of sh*t?

Old 04-28-2010, 04:19 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
that's funny. I thought people from the ne were supposed to be the masters of sarcasm while the rest of us just watch it fly right over our heads. Could it be that maybe those claiming that to be the case were full of sh*t?
lol!

Old 04-28-2010, 11:21 PM

31 posts, read 62,593 times
la and chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City