Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 12:57 PM

370 posts, read 372,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
It didn't look like you were kidding judging the way you are being so defensive towards LA throughout the thread.
But that's fine, <3
My passion for LA is strong, but it is not violent or indignant. I apologize for any misunderstandings.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
You are weird,
But this does not answer the questions I asked you.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:02 PM

648 posts, read 1,618,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlyLA View Post
But this does not answer the questions I asked you.
You have not asked me anything. You are just saying what you want to think.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
You have not asked me anything. You are just saying what you want to think.
I asked you why you are behaving this way. There must be some reason.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:37 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Atl to Rosswell is about the distance from CC to Trenton ( and go back to the density maps in the other thread it is all red density in the space - the point) . Philly is a bigger city than Atl and has it's own communter draw; NY is huge and draws from a large area. People live and work accross these boundaries. The census designation for commuters is to define the regional influence. that works when there is only one city and a spread to draw from. the way commuter work in an area where it is all developed is different and thus it creates an arbitrary designation.

and further - draw a radius, at 25, 50 or 100 miles around the cities - see how different they are in population - it isnt even close

edited to say i cant type or spell apparently - too many to fix there i am late for a meeting
The philly metro is about the size of Metro Atlanta 5-core county I don't know what cc is "Philly city center maybe" but Atlanta to Roswell is in same county. Roswell is the blue and Atlanta is lower yellow let me Let remind you the city of Philly is larger than Atlanta. You said the distance from Philly to Trenton is same distance from Atlanta to Roswell well that false, The KOP is further out from Philly than Atlanta is to Roswell.

http://activerain.com/image_store/up...0158449753.jpg

Quote:
Allright enough; would you agree there are far more people here? I mean you are talking about Macon and Athens (fine places). I am talking about Jersey - there are hand fuls of Macons all in a row - The commuter patterns make sense when there is huge distance between cities, hence they draw because there is no where else. in between the cities here there are huge employment centers, Princeton/Hightstown for example - a large number of people commute there from Bucks county - which may put that in the NY MSA - btw Bucks county borders phildelphia and IS the the SAME distance (7 miles) from downtown ATL to Buckhead as CC Philly to Bucks county. My point is just the MSA designation works well for most of the country - here it seems arbitrary people move to jobs and the good part is living here I can work in either and not have to move. the commuter patterns here are different and much more inter-ralted but still have a majpority draw to cores and yes both Philly and NY maitian distinct identities but they are far more inter-related than you would expect. Here if I moved the distance of buckhead to peachtree city I would be in a new MSA; yet never left the area

And on your point aof cohesive regions; yes I completely understand; without question - but there is only one direction to commute in most regions
The Atlanta original 5 counties are Fulton, Gwinnett, DeKalb Cobb, Clayton but suddenly outer counties like Cherokee County jump from 141,903 to 215,084 and Henry County 119,341 to 201,343 in 9 years they didn’t grow for the heck of it they grew because Metro Atlanta is sprawling. Hall county is not part of the MSA but the CSA, it jump from 139,277 to 180,175 in 7 years. Philly is not sprawling, it doesn’t meet the threshold to have suburbs as far out as sunbelt cities. What going on is Philly metro abuts other MSAs but there not enough commuting ties for them to be a Metroplex, one MSA. It's like Atlanta abuts Athens and Rome MSAs but there’s still not enough for Atlanta swallow them as suburbs. You said there many Athens, Macon and etc in rows between Philly and New York exactly. People don’t move the distance in dense areas as they do in sprawling built areas. And the fact your preaching how much denser these areas are more so than Atlanta your doing nothing more than proving my point to why it's a smaller cohesive regions.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:42 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
You knew that this day would come eventually, with all the power that NYC has, it takes two great American cities to level out on the same playing field as NYC.

NYC is a great city, but lets be frank, putting any one single city up against it is certainly ridiculous. The city has basically made itself a whole new level that no other US city can reach.

But two cities like Chicago and LA put together can give NYC a fair match up.

This thread is a fair comparison. I don't want to hear any of the following:

"... it takes two cities to compare to NYC, that's how great our city is...."

I personally think that Chicago and LA compliment each other, because they both have what the other doesn't.

No personal attacks, lets have a nice and friendly discussion.

Chicago & LA VS. New York City...
Chicago is better than both. Miles upon miles of suburban LA would only bring Chicago down. So, because of that, probably NYC.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:51 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Yeah, I like Chicago the way it is because it's a little bit like NYC without the steroids. LA is a completely different animal.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Yeah, I like Chicago the way it is because it's a little bit like NYC without the steroids. LA is a completely different animal.
And we love it for that. Who needs another NYC? Chicago has already fulfilled that role, as has Philly. LA belongs to LA and nothing else.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:15 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
LA belongs to Mexico.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
LA belongs to Mexico.
New York belongs to Britain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City