Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 11:01 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I never said you was egotistic I ask the question are yall saying this cause of yall egos? and all so I said it come off egotistical because yall wouldn’t answer anything beyond because, I never said you are, so yes that's a contadiction. How I'm judging when I'm ask a question? Then you said "you ft bill" was judging me ironically saying I'm a "judgmental southern" really? Dude I'm a agnostic Liberal. )

The fact you came with “judgmental southern” like all southern are judgmental when I said “I saying east coast posters not specifically New York posters and I apologize because not all East coast posters are doing this” is already another dilemma but I’m going to ignore it.

See I don’t care if someone prefer New York, Chicago, LA or whatever, posters weren’t giving detail reasons to support their opinions. If I was ever judgmental I made the assumption that posters were friendly and would simply give more details reasons to support their opinions if I ask, I didn’t know posters would blow it out of proportion like this. It’s not that serious
Jees, I ran out of fingers counting all the things you misunderstood. Don't be so sensative. I didn't come up with the "fact" "judgmental southern", its the stereotype the south developed like the northerners did when people refer to them as arrogant.

Quote:
Dude I'm a agnostic Liberal.
I'm an agnostic NJian who hates politics. What are you getting at?

You're right, It isn't that serious. Your the one that quoted me as an example of the ego northeasters tend to have. I shouldn't of been the example is what I was getting at. I didn't realize you were being friendly It's not like I bashed La/Chi and used them as a stool to crown NYC, Chicago is a GREAT city. LA, well, not a fan.

I didn't want to say it, but your grammar is making it hard to comprehend what your saying half the time anyway, so forgive me for not knowing what the hell your trying to say.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:03 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,558,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yes lets focus on other points, because yours are not relevant. Cultural influence would be like the buddhist influence in Los Angeles, not a video format or lcd televisions, etc. Besides most of the major video game titles are still produced by western game developers.
I disagree; the tools to make culture are part of the culture as a whole. A photographer has a tough time creating without a Nikon or a Sony camera, etc. But that's another argument...

Most of the bestselling games are developed in-house by Nintendo.

Besides, this isn't about whether the US or Japan has more cultural impact but refuting the argument that Japanese/Chinese culture has minimal impact on the US.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:06 PM

245 posts, read 215,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yes lets focus on other points, because yours are not relevant. Cultural influence would be like the buddhist influence in Los Angeles, not a video format or lcd televisions, etc. Besides most of the major video game titles are still produced by western game developers. IIRC you are normally a good poster, but you are off base the last few ...you should rethink what you are saying. What you are referring to is called globalization of industries, not cultural influence...
Those are valid points. Yes, the west has experienced infatuation with the culture of the east, Shogun, Bruce Lee, judo then karate, zen and buddizm will always be a part of Western culture. On a daily basis however eastern influences are minimal.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:06 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carverR View Post
You are kidding right? How many Japanese or Chinese movies have you watched recently? How many Japanese or Chinese bands you listened to?
Keep in mind that on the ther hand Hollywood and US pop music is extremely popular in both Japan and China. That's what I call cultural influence.
The Ring, The Grudge, The Eye, The Host, etc

Avatar was heavily influenced by Final Fantasy, a Japanese video game series.

Been to a Barnes and Noble or Borders lately? The biggest section is the Japanese manga section. Japanese culture is VERY popular with the younger crowd here.

Music I'll give to you. Asian music isn't very popular here though I listen to it every now and then.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:08 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post

Been to a Barnes and Noble or Borders lately? The biggest section is the Japanese manga section. Japanese culture is VERY popular with the younger crowd here.

Music I'll give to you. Asian music isn't very popular here though I listen to it every now and then.
Plus, Japanese steak houses are the SHI*
Sushi is becoming very popular now a days. I've noticed people going to Sushi bars to top off a friday night. (mainly chicks though)

Old 04-22-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Influences are influences yet we rarely get to hear Japanes music or watch Japanese movies through popular outlets. Anime is a niche market. In the same time American movies and music is extremely popular in Japan. I am sorry, I just don't see a strong influence of Japanese culture in the US even though I know who Kurosawa and Yellow Magic Orchestra are and really, really like sushi.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:

We could go back to the greatest film in the Star Wars trilogy, Empire Strikes Back, which was heavily influenced by Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress.

And like I said before, Tarantino is obsessed with Chinese cinema, pulling a lot of Kill Bill from the revenge movies that came out of Hong Kong.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:22 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Amen on the MSA boundaries; they work just about everywhere but the NE - many of them are an arbitrary line right through the middle of areas with population density as high as are in the core of Sunbelt cities; people dont walk across the street and say oh wow know i am in a new metro
Metros are not lines that are drawn anywhere they're regions that are base on commuting pattern, if the NE cities pull each other areas to the degrees your speaking it would be the New York-Philly metroplex. The NYP MSA or At least NYP CSA they‘re not, cause they don’t. In words 2 Metros that share commuters don’t compete but become one Metroplex the same MSA.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carverR View Post
Influences are influences yet we rarely get to hear Japanes music or watch Japanese movies through popular outlets. Anime is a niche market. In the same time American movies and music is extremely popular in Japan.
I used to teach younguns and let me tell you that anime and manga are no longer a niche market especially when it comes to children. It's all the rage with kids nowadays.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
We could go back to the greatest film in the Star Wars trilogy, Empire Strikes Back, which was heavily influenced by Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress.

And like I said before, Tarantino is obsessed with Chinese cinema, pulling a lot of Kill Bill from the revenge movies that came out of Hong Kong.
Star Wars and Tarantino movies are just a small part of popular culture.
That does not count as any serious influence. Most Americans could not name a single Japanese director or performer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City