Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 06:27 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlyLA View Post
I'll second this. You couldn't pay me enough to live in NYC over LA.
Hmm.. So LA is that good, huh? I'm kind of curious - if someone doesn't care much for Hollywood, pop culture, Disney, theme parks or beaches, what significant things are there to do for a tourist in LA that can't be found elsewhere? I've only been there a few times and it's such a huge and mega- spread out place.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 04-22-2010 at 06:37 AM..

Old 04-22-2010, 06:42 AM

370 posts, read 372,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Hmm.. So LA is that good, huh? I'm kind of curious - if someone doesn't care much for Hollywood, pop culture, Disney, theme parks or beaches, what significant things are there to do for a tourist in LA that can't be found elsewhere? I've only been there a few times and it's such a huge and mega- spread out place.
That's why you need to explore it for yourself, away from the typical LA tourist areas. The burden is on you to make any place you visit worthwhile.

Yes, LA is that good. The quality of life and variety simply cannot be matched by any other city, including NYC.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 AM

21 posts, read 38,326 times
I would go with NY. Although I never been to Chi and LA,
but It has best skyline in the World and "if you can't make it here you can't make it anywhere"

Old 04-22-2010, 09:00 AM

648 posts, read 1,618,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Mhmm east coast posters superior complexes are on level mars. Ok of course the sky is red, no green, no apple pie, just like it not boasting when posters are trying to argue which one of two places that’s basically equivalent by Population and GPD is more powerful. It’s like a older twin saying I’m older than you because I was born 2 minutes earlier, ummm ok! Instead of comparing the two places, which you rather stay and etc. Yall arguing something that even if true, the difference is minor. That’s why I said, are yall doing this for yall egos? Because the answer equal pointless.

New York coast of living has more to do with density and the scarcity of land, and also politics and taxation, so it make sense that it cost more in which salaries are higher I don’t know how this is relevant to a city power? But anyway cost of living, now that I think about LA-Chi combine cost of living will be to .
It is not a superiority complex if it is truth. The fact that people compare New York to any American city is laughable but annoying at the same time because it is almost degrading to New York. There is one city in the world comparable to New York, and that is London. There is more money and power flowing through New York every day than any two cities in this country, even continent, combined will ever imagine. New York and London are hubs of world politics and issues, money, power, and diversity. These two cities are untouchable.

And if you truly think New York is only expensive because of taxes and land scarcity, you have a lot of learning to do... because there are millions and millions of people around the world who want to live in New York with a passion. There are plenty of people who have come to New York to achieve the American Dream, including me, and have made it... and there are plenty of people who have come to New York and failed miserably and lost everything they had. There are people who made hundreds of millions of dollars, even billions, in this city and there are people who lose millions and millions and millions and millions... overnight.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:30 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
I guess I'll be the first one to say:

What does London have on New York? Greater London is a lot smaller than Greater NYC in terms of population, and is losing its financial institutions at an extremely rapid pace. Since the UK hasn't joined the Eurozone (for various reasons mostly having to do with national sovereignty), more and more of even its former colonies are dumping the Pound as a reserve currency, and either using US Dollars or Euros.

I would argue that the only time New York and London were at parity was when both the US and UK occupied the same relative space on the international field (IE After WW1 but before WW2). During the 1920s and 1930s, that's when London and NYC both shared the title 'Financial Capital of the World'. After WW2 and the British economy was destroyed, NYC took the title and has had it ever since.

London was the original metropolitan area of the world though, and the first multiethnic entrepot since it was the capital of the massive British Empire. From basically the late 18th century until the mid 20th century, it was pretty much the center of the world. Not bad for a country that was considered the periphery of European civilization for so long, eh?

Today, its much more mixed. More of the world's economy is decentralized, making more individual cities gain relative power while the more powerful cities can't even hope to gain hegemony over influence over world affairs. However, NYC metro itself accounts for 11% of the American economy! No two cities in the US come even close to that. I pay my respects to NYC!

However, this whole story just goes to show that things can change over time. How long NYC remains at its relative peak of power is hard to say. Until then.....

Old 04-22-2010, 11:10 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
What does London have on New York?
London is not quite as great as New York, but its history alone makes it more fascinating than any other U.S. city. The top 3 cities in the world today are New York, London and Paris, and I've been.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 04-22-2010 at 12:12 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 11:28 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
That's not the conflict

I don’t care if someone prefer New York or not, or whatever it’s the Superior complex it’s crazy the thread can’t even get started, and I been said that this suppose to be fun my goodness. The OP made this thread because no solo city can compare to New York. Chicago and Los Angeles can hold there own already, but the OP combine them hypnotically for a comparison because LA-Chi would be basically equivalent to NY the city population, the metro population and the GDP. Instead of comparing amenities, sites, neighborhoods and etc East coast posters are not giving any detail and there giving circular reasoning it‘s annoying. They rather speak broadly about pointless exaggerate air. Expressing nothing more than a superior complex. I saying east coast posters not specifically New York posters and I apologize because not all East coast posters are doing this but it’s crazy the thread can’t even get started.

Basically me asking for more detail reasons to support their opinions and a lot of east coast posters got made at me. To make it worse I ask in question form are yall saying this cause of yall egos? And it turn into a dude arguing saying I’m assuming him to be egotistical which is contradicting to the fact that I ask him a question ) and later he call me bias and egotistic “because you fit the bill” I guess because I trying to get an detail opinion dang people are unfriendly on these threads.
Not to continue arguing, but you misunderstood what I said. When I said you ft the bill, I meant you it the bill of being a judgmental southern since were pretty much judging me as another walking northeastern ego. I only get unfriendly when the person I'm talking to is unfriendly.
I didn't contadict anything btw, that doesn't make any sense. I was defending myself because I was not being egotistic in anyway, just stating my opinions.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:29 AM

324 posts, read 669,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I guess I'll be the first one to say:

What does London have on New York? Greater London is a lot smaller than Greater NYC in terms of population, and is losing its financial institutions at an extremely rapid pace. Since the UK hasn't joined the Eurozone (for various reasons mostly having to do with national sovereignty), more and more of even its former colonies are dumping the Pound as a reserve currency, and either using US Dollars or Euros.

I would argue that the only time New York and London were at parity was when both the US and UK occupied the same relative space on the international field (IE After WW1 but before WW2). During the 1920s and 1930s, that's when London and NYC both shared the title 'Financial Capital of the World'. After WW2 and the British economy was destroyed, NYC took the title and has had it ever since.

London was the original metropolitan area of the world though, and the first multiethnic entrepot since it was the capital of the massive British Empire. From basically the late 18th century until the mid 20th century, it was pretty much the center of the world. Not bad for a country that was considered the periphery of European civilization for so long, eh?

Today, its much more mixed. More of the world's economy is decentralized, making more individual cities gain relative power while the more powerful cities can't even hope to gain hegemony over influence over world affairs. However, NYC metro itself accounts for 11% of the American economy! No two cities in the US come even close to that. I pay my respects to NYC!

However, this whole story just goes to show that things can change over time. How long NYC remains at its relative peak of power is hard to say. Until then.....
I consider London and NY equivalents.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:34 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
I would take Chicago + LA over NYC. Their CSA GDP would be very close, but NYC would still edge it out. (Now that I'm thinking about that, that is amazing on NYC part) It would be interesting to see LA and Chicago mixed, but it sounds good to me.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:50 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,522 times
Oh I'd take LA/Chicago over NYC. Immagine a big city urban life righ next to the beautiful beaches and climate of SoCal. Such a place would be so unbelievably expensive to live in though.

Also, Tokyo and maybe Hong Kong are also comapreable to NYC as far as world importance is concerned. I consider the three hubs of Planet Earth to be NYC, London, and Tokyo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City