Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:27 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times

Advertisements

One thing that blows StL away is having a real outdoor NFL stadium, not an oversized arena. with an amazing tailgaiting scene.

Can't wait to see a game in the new Arrowhead this fall.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/70..._arrowhead.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 07-07-2012 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 12:21 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,727 times
^
You have me there, my Dad and Brother are huge Chiefs fans. I grew up watching a LOT of Chiefs.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:10 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
KC has one of the largest urban outdoor markets in the country, Does St Louis have something similar?
Thats funny you brought that up because on a recent trip to KC the one thing that I was most dissapointed with was the City Market. Too spead out, rather deserted, and the variety of produce was lacking.

For your information STL does have a rather vibrant awesome market. The Soulard Market is the oldest open air market west of the Mississippi. If you ever get a chance to visit you will understand my beef with KC's City Market.

I will give you the open air football stadium. Much better than our depressing dome.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:24 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
being from philadelphia, i will offer my objective opinion having been to both kc and stl (i am currently in med school at wash. u. in st. louis). both have strengths and weaknesses, and they are two completely different types of cities. kansas city is more townish than st. louis, with lower density neighborhoods and a younger building stock and population. st louis is a significantly larger urban area, with more infrastructure to go with it: more and better universities, better pro sports atmosphere overall, better parks, more diverse housing stock, better public transportation, more stuff. kc's city market is disappointing, i'm sorry. you may be able to spend a lively hour there, but it is a sanitized version of an authentic urban farmers market. conversely, soulard market in st. louis is one of the best of its kind in the country, and has resisted efforts to gentrify it. soulard market is better than city market. period. on the flipside, kansas city has a more efficient government structure, more regional cooperation, a more optimistic populace and a more visible enthusiasm for visual arts. st louis is an old model city like its counterparts in the industrial midwest and northeast. kansas city is a western town that with less of an establishment culture.

st louis is of a different ilk entirely. it is older, more seasoned, more substantial than kansas city. kc more appropriately compares to columbus and indianapolis. st. louis is more similar to pittsburgh and baltimore.

both are great places.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:53 PM

^good post. couldnt have said it better.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Thats funny you brought that up because on a recent trip to KC the one thing that I was most dissapointed with was the City Market. Too spead out, rather deserted, and the variety of produce was lacking.

For your information STL does have a rather vibrant awesome market. The Soulard Market is the oldest open air market west of the Mississippi. If you ever get a chance to visit you will understand my beef with KC's City Market.

I will give you the open air football stadium. Much better than our depressing dome.
I have only been to the Soulard Market when it's not very active, but I will take your word that it's a good market. When did you vist the KC Market, I will admit, it's best to visit when it's the most active.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
on the flipside, kansas city has a more efficient government structure, more regional cooperation, a more optimistic populace.
Not that I don't agree with a lot of your post, but wow, this is so far off base it's not even funny.

Metro KC is still in the middle of the civil war with the state line with half the metro taking advantage and freeloading off the other half , racial segregation and tension in metro KC is still off the charts, the general population has to be one of the most pessimistic (anything is better than KC because everybody tells me it is) and the city government is in a shambles with the worst mayor in the country.

So, I'm not sure you have any idea what you are talking about when it comes to KC now .

Both KC and StL are screwed if the Etax goes away.

I think it might help or force attempts to merge StL City and StL County, but it it would destroy KCMO as we know it and probably bankrupt the city.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:47 PM

The most active for the Spoulard market is on Saturdays. I was at the KC market on a Saturday morning around 11ish. It was in November but it was an unseasonably warm day.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
The most active for the Spoulard market is on Saturdays. I was at the KC market on a Saturday morning around 11ish. It was in November but it was an unseasonably warm day.
Well, you need to visit again in the spring to fall, I'm sure very little was going on in November down there, even if it was a warm day.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,505 times
Quote:

Too spread out and lacking variety??? LOL

I straight up just don't know if I can believe you now... especially when you say you went on a Saturday...

though it's possible I suppose if it was November, but I frequent the city market on weekends, its almost always packed, and its got a huge variety...

btw I like how you ignored the facts I showed you since you claimed there were not... lol

Too spread out??

http://successco.typepad.com/photos/...itymarket2.jpg

I guess they should all pack into one room eh??

Last edited by JMT; 07-07-2012 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City