Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 04:26 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningdrake View Post
Public schools in Lakewood. Thoughts? Lakewood City High School "Great Schools" rating is 4, which seems super low.
We do not want to do private school.
My suggestion would be to look at the detail of the state ratings. Great Schools use Ohio ratings, which greatly disadvantage schools with a higher percentage of problematic students.

E.g., some districts with a higher percentage of Hispanics have high dropout rates because kids leave school to work or go back to Mexico, etc.

There's no substitute for examining curricula, and perhaps the universities to which graduates are admitted.

Lakewood High School doesn't have a terrible reputation. Its Great Schools rating may be penalized by a marginal difference in kids taking the ACT, for example.

Lakewood High School - Lakewood, Ohio - OH - School quality

There's no substitute for immersing yourself in this website:

Accountability Resources | Ohio Department of Education

Note that the Lakewood elementary schools, even the middle school, are much more highly rated than the high school. So even consider calling the high school to have them explain that discrepancy, and then verify if the explanation is accurate and acceptable.

Lakewood Schools - Lakewood Ohio School Ratings - Public and Private

My impression is that Lakewood offers a relatively robust curricula for committed students.

Lakewood City School District

Lakewood High School

So Great School ratings may reflect social economic factors more than educational quality....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 06:52 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,835,238 times
From what I've heard 2nd-hand, it depends on what school you're in - there are better elementary schools and less good elementary schools. I suppose by high school (where there's just one), it is what it is.

My perception is that Westlake is somewhat more stable across the board without sacrificing too much of what being in Lakewood has to offer.

YMMV.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
From what I've heard 2nd-hand, it depends on what school you're in - there are better elementary schools and less good elementary schools. I suppose by high school (where there's just one), it is what it is.

My perception is that Westlake is somewhat more stable across the board without sacrificing too much of what being in Lakewood has to offer.

YMMV.
Westlake is a longer commute to downtown or further east with more expensive housing. It also has less robust RTA service to downtown, especially on weekends. It has more highly rated schools.

Unlike Lakewood, Westlake is not located on Lake Erie, so has nothing comparable to Lakewood Park, although there likely is nothing to prevent Westlake residents from driving to and enjoying Lakewood Park, except distance. Of course, having Lakewood Park within biking distance for kids would be incredible.

Westlake does have an excellent rec center, of great benefit in winter months.

Westlake Recreation Center

It's definitely considered a more upscale suburb than Lakewood.

Again, check the Cleveland Magazine "Rating the Suburbs" issue for some good info. If you haven't done so, subscribe to this service for greater details, info.

Rating the Suburbs 2014 | Article Archives | Cleveland Magazine - Your guide to the best of Cleveland

Old 02-06-2015, 01:09 PM

17 posts, read 36,514 times
I appreciate your replies and am reading all the links you are directing me to. I did go to the Ohio Department of Education website and see the district report card. Now just sifting through the data and trying to make the best call for our family. I won't have much time to look at housing when we travel up there in the Spring, so I need to do my research now and narrow it down to 1-2 communities. Coming from St. Louis, where people are "school snobs," it's difficult for me to get a feel for the area's school culture from here.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:23 PM

17 posts, read 36,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

Note that the Lakewood elementary schools, even the middle school, are much more highly rated than the high school. So even consider calling the high school to have them explain that discrepancy, and then verify if the explanation is accurate and acceptable.

So Great School ratings may reflect social economic factors more than educational quality....

WRNATIVE you are seriously close to becoming my new best friend! I had looked at the Department of Education site beforehand and was not taken aback by the statistics listed there. 86% graduation rate is much lower than our current school's 96% graduation rate, but I'm thinking this may be socioeconomic more than anything. Or possibly students moving out of the area before graduation? I'm looking at all the sites you suggested. I don't put a ton of stock into the Great Schools ratings, considering my own children's elementary and middle schools (in STL) have been given 6s, and they are incredible. The high school is my biggest concern. I absolutely LOVE the idea of calling the high school and speaking to someone in the administration about their school's report card. Why hadn't I thought of that? LOL. My kids will be in three different schools next year (elem, middle, and high). I do plan to visit them in the Spring, but phone calls beforehand are a great idea. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Having two teens, I am really looking for an area where they can have freedom to be teens. I want them to feel free to ride their bikes, skateboards, whatever, around their "hometown." Where we live now, in the suburbs of STL, everything is so spread apart and we are driving them everywhere. I think they would love summers spent at the lake with new friends. Our children's social lives and recreational activities available to them in their adolescent and teen years are a big reason we are leaning toward Lakewood. They are getting too dependent on their electronic devices, and we feel that a change of environment would be just what they need.

I think that if the schools of Lakewood offer a variety of programs and AP classes (if they choose to go that route), and if they don't have a horrible reputation (remember the school snobbery of STL), I will be pleased with the outcome.

I'm a bit disturbed by the closing of Lakewood hospital. Is this a sign of economic issues in the area? What are the plans for the hospital? Anyone know?

Old 02-06-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningdrake View Post

I'm a bit disturbed by the closing of Lakewood hospital. Is this a sign of economic issues in the area? What are the plans for the hospital? Anyone know?
Greater Cleveland has an effective duopoly between the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospital systems. There are few independent hospitals.

The two systems have been consolidating beds to increase efficiency.

Focus on emergency room proximity and quality, because you would only be 20 minutes from the University Circle main campuses of the two systems, among the best hospitals in the world.

Many persons won't go to local hospitals for procedures given the better outcomes at those facilities, which is another reason local hospitals are closing/losing market share.

http://www.cleveland.com/lakewood/in...l_not_clo.html

Last edited by WRnative; 02-06-2015 at 06:49 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 07:04 AM

555 posts, read 891,973 times
This thread really makes the Cleveland area sound appealing (and we have visited and seen the appeal--LOVE the art museum, the lake, the parks, the local food, the festivals...). Were it not for winter (which wears on both me and DH more every year as cold is bad for arthritis), NE Ohio would almost certainly be our chosen retirement destination. (And it may be, anyway. Time will tell, and there is this thing called a vacation, which I am told retirees sometimes take.)

Old 02-07-2015, 10:05 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,505 times
That is exactly what I try to tell my wife...

I can retire earlier if we move to CLE. We can then leave in the winter if we want because we can afford it! My home here is paid for and can rent for $3500 per month. Thus, I did the math and that equates to about 10 years of earlier retirement. However, she has this "thing" about Ohio in general. We are going this summer to visit family so hopefully if I keep my mouth shut, she will see for herself how great it can be. It's like telling your teenager what you think he or she should do. If you just get quiet, they will often figure it out, but it has to be their decision.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:49 PM

372 posts, read 593,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
That is exactly what I try to tell my wife...

I can retire earlier if we move to CLE. We can then leave in the winter if we want because we can afford it! My home here is paid for and can rent for $3500 per month. Thus, I did the math and that equates to about 10 years of earlier retirement. However, she has this "thing" about Ohio in general. We are going this summer to visit family so hopefully if I keep my mouth shut, she will see for herself how great it can be. It's like telling your teenager what you think he or she should do. If you just get quiet, they will often figure it out, but it has to be their decision.
True!! Lol!

Does she have family in CA?

Old 02-07-2015, 07:25 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,505 times
Cousins, but dad is in Maine. Mom and grandma that raised her are now deceased.

So do I... my mom is 3 miles away. Her family is ALL near CLE. Wife's brother is in Portland, Ore.

It's weather and no ocean that are the main deals . She also carries the stereotype of Ohio that is prevalent in media. I'll just have to show her and the kids a great time this summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland