Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 01:44 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I'll never forget his ridiculous articles. He wrote basically the same thing the year before too. Used to see him stuffing his face in the media dining room at Fenway before every game. Took a lot of restraint to not say something to the guy.
Shaughnessey's career basically negated itself after the Sox won the Series in '04 and his precious "Curse of the Bambino" turned out to be a fraud. Now they're just the Yankees in red lettering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 02:53 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Default World Series-class Tribe bullpen

See the stats at the end of this article:

Terry Francona gets most out of his bullpen | indians.com

Personally, Francona's bullpen management warms my heart.

In the 1997 World Series Game 7, Mike Jackson pitched a dominant 8th inning for the Tribe, throwing only 6 pitches. Regardless, Tribe Manager Mike Hargrove infamously brought in Jose Mesa to pitch the 9th inning. Hargrove later explained he never thought twice about bringing back Jackson because Mesa "was our closer."

October 26, 1997 World Series Game 7, Indians at Marlins | Baseball-Reference.com

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/2021077//

Mesa suffered all of the blame for that loss, but IMO, Hargrove was the one who botched it.

I don't think that Francona would make the same mistake. E.g., if Miller pitches a dominant 8th inning, I have no doubt that Francona would bring him back for the 9th to close a play-off game, if Miller's pitch count and recent use makes that possible.

BTW, did anybody else notice that TBS doesn't provide the pitch count. Very disappointing.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:02 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Looks like I might see a sweep on sunday. Tribe has gotten to porcello, price. I like the chances against bucholz.

Red Sox looked anemic against Cy kluber.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:50 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
We had a great time downtown yesterday! So glad to have been able to make it up there for the game. Nice to have a game that wasn't a nail biter.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:22 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,230 times
I'm on the flight right now!

OK, where should we watch tomorrow's game? We'll be at the Browns game with my cousin, but after? Is there an outdoor viewing party? 4th Ave? I figure many places will be packed. Any ideas? Thanks!

We are staying at an Air BnB on Euclid at CLE St. and can get downtown quickly, but will be coming from the Browns game.

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
I'm on the flight right now!

OK, where should we watch tomorrow's game? We'll be at the Browns game with my cousin, but after? Is there an outdoor viewing party? 4th Ave? I figure many places will be packed. Any ideas? Thanks!

We are staying at an Air BnB on Euclid at CLE St. and can get downtown quickly, but will be coming from the Browns game.

Thanks!
There would be more action at the many sports bars in the Warehouse District and in the Gateway District, inclusive of East 4th St.

However, if you want a nice sports bar closer to FirstEnergy Stadium that might not be as crowded, consider the Winking Lizard at the Galleria on East 9th St., located across from the Westin just north of St. Clair Ave. Call first to see if they are open on Sunday during the entire duration of the Indians game.

Galleria

There are many possibilities in the Warehouse District. Even the Blue Point Grille has a nice bar area. Consider the Dive Bar, Bar Louie and Barley House. Panini's also is a possibility.

http://warehousedistrict.org/dining.aspx

http://www.divebarcleveland.com/home.htm

For the Gateway District, where Progressive Field is located:

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=spo...leveland%2C+OH

Barrio's Gateway near Progressive Field on Prospect Ave. also has a nice bar area with TVs.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:13 PM

Default Old coach marvels at Buchholz-Tomlin match-up

A great back story for Sunday's play-off game about how Buchholz and Tomlin were former teammates in college, both shortstops who turned into MLB starting pitchers:

<<Their [Angelina College] coach, meanwhile, sits back and marvels. Livin will not be at Fenway, but he'll be watching on television from home, where he hopes to have a Sunday barbecue. And he will be glad to not be coaching.

"You know what I want," he said. "I want a scoreless game for seven innings, and let the bullpens decide the fate, and let those two have a cold drink. I hope this is the quickest, least offensive game of the playoffs.">>

Clay Buchholz and Josh Tomlin go way back | indians.com

That's what we want too, with Miller and Allen picking up where Tomlin leaves off. Better yet, we would like Miller and Allen to be spotted a several run lead.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:15 PM

Default Will Francona experience a hefty ovation when introduced at Fenway?

<<But I must admit, there’s a part of me that is enjoying watching Francona meticulously execute his revenge. He’s the best manager this franchise has ever had, and they treated him like hot garbage. What has happened so far in this series is called justice-in-progress.>>

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston...ice-disastrous

A sports columnist from Boston actually wrote that? Wow.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:54 PM

Default Buckeyes' TBDBITL shows love for baseball, Tribe

http://www.city-data.com/forum/baseb...ove-grand.html

Old 10-09-2016, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post

We are staying at an Air BnB on Euclid at CLE St. and can get downtown quickly
If you're not paying for the Healthline bus rapid (consider buying passes), perhaps check out the free RTA downtown bus trolleys, especially the C-line for weekends and evenings.

http://www.riderta.com/sites/default...s/Trolleys.pdf

The C-line runs down St. Clair Ave. if you go to the Winking Lizard at the Galleria. It also would take you to East 18th and Euclid Ave., a few blocks from Cleveland State.

C-Line Trolley | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

The only problem with the trolleys is that they are one-way routes that take about 20 minutes to complete. Still, easier than walking, and certainly safer to some degree after dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland