Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 04:57 PM

256 posts, read 736,635 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am considering moving back to Cleveland after being gone a long long time. I was back last summer for 4 months. It has changed a lot, but then again, so have I.
I am living now in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Yet, their is something lacking here for me and that is family and close friends.
I could not believe how economically depressed Cleveland has become. It is not the home I knew.
Just wanted some feedback if anyone has come back after a long time and how it is for them.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 05:30 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey77 View Post
Hi,
I am considering moving back to Cleveland after being gone a long long time. I was back last summer for 4 months. It has changed a lot, but then again, so have I.
I am living now in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Yet, their is something lacking here for me and that is family and close friends.
I could not believe how economically depressed Cleveland has become. It is not the home I knew.
Just wanted some feedback if anyone has come back after a long time and how it is for them.
Thanks.
Well, how long have you been away? Cleveland hasn't changed that much in the past 5-10 years. It's still struggling economically, but there are a lot of opportunities if you know where to look.

Up until about a week ago, I lived in Phoenix for about 15 months. I had a little bit of family out there, but no real good friends. Other than that, there were a lot of other things that I didn't really like about the Valley of the Sun. So now I'm back in Cleveland and I don't regret it one bit.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:39 PM

Hi,
I left the first time in 77. Moved back in 87, moved to Pittsburgh in 89. Have been in So. Ca now since 94.
It has changed a lot to me. It looked war torn in some parts and the streets? Who ate the streets? Stores were closed especially downtown.
It was in bad shape.
Yet, something pulls me back there. I don't want to live in some delusion. I can't be a kid again. But, I find that people are more stable there. I just am looking for stability. Never had it in So.Ca.
Are you staying and what part of the city are you living in?
I had looked at Brecksville and liked it a lot.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Hi,
I left the first time in 77. Moved back in 87, moved to Pittsburgh in 89. Have been in So. Ca now since 94.
It has changed a lot to me. It looked war torn in some parts and the streets? Who ate the streets? Stores were closed especially downtown.
It was in bad shape.
Yet, something pulls me back there. I don't want to live in some delusion. I can't be a kid again. But, I find that people are more stable there. I just am looking for stability. Never had it in So.Ca.
Are you staying and what part of the city are you living in?
I had looked at Brecksville and liked it a lot.

Brecksville is nice. Parts of Cleveland proper, especially on the east side, look awful. Downtown has gotten better in recent years, in my opinion. The streets can be really bad in some areas, it's not like out west where they don't have to deal with the weather changes that Cleveland goes through. That makes it tough, so I cut them a break.

As for me, I'm sticking around here for a bit, but I also really like Columbus and have friends there, too, so I may see if I can find employment down there.

You kind of have to just go with your gut and do what makes you happy. Employment is a big part of the equation, too, obviously.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:51 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,440,564 times
Default Ohio

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks.
Which city are you now living in? I am also considering a move back. I was born/raised in Cleveland, however, due to how it has changed, we are looking at some of the smaller towns in Ohio with access to employment. The area I was raised in is now a pure ghetto. We have lived in Alaska for 7-years now and it is beautiful here, however, I want to be closer to family.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Which city are you now living in? I am also considering a move back. I was born/raised in Cleveland, however, due to how it has changed, we are looking at some of the smaller towns in Ohio with access to employment. The area I was raised in is now a pure ghetto. We have lived in Alaska for 7-years now and it is beautiful here, however, I want to be closer to family.
What part of Cleveland were you raised in?

I think a big part of Cleveland's problem is that the city itself has a big image problem, but most of the suburbs are just fine. Many are even thriving. But because the mention of "Cleveland" also sometimes implies the suburbs, too, sometimes people get the wrong idea. I hate to say it, but I would never live in Cleveland city proper, but I wouldn't mind living in most parts of suburban Cleveland.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:26 PM

Default Cleveland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
What part of Cleveland were you raised in?

I think a big part of Cleveland's problem is that the city itself has a big image problem, but most of the suburbs are just fine. Many are even thriving. But because the mention of "Cleveland" also sometimes implies the suburbs, too, sometimes people get the wrong idea. I hate to say it, but I would never live in Cleveland city proper, but I wouldn't mind living in most parts of suburban Cleveland.
I was raised on the near West Side. About a year after I left it seems like things just went crazy in that area. When I go back I don't even bother driving through that area. Don't blame you about not ever living in Cleveland. I do like the smaller towns in Ohio.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:23 AM

I am living in San Diego now. It is beautiful here. I love it. But, it is transient and I don't find the same kind of stability and connectedness with friends. I miss that.
I don't know. Not sure. Cleveland and the suburbs are so run down. Seems everyone is moving out!
When I was back last summer, really loved those thunderstorms.
I have to make the right decision. I don't ever want to move again.
Alaska would certainly be an adventure!

Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 AM

Default Yes...

Quote:
I am living in San Diego now. It is beautiful here. I love it. But, it is transient and I don't find the same kind of stability and connectedness with friends. I miss that.
I don't know. Not sure. Cleveland and the suburbs are so run down. Seems everyone is moving out!
When I was back last summer, really loved those thunderstorms.
I have to make the right decision. I don't ever want to move again.
Alaska would certainly be an adventure!
Yes, Alaska is an adventure and it IS beautiful here with the mountains and lakes. However, after a while (unless you would have family members uphere), you begin to feel very isolated. Expensive and long trip back home once a year. I love the summers here, no humidity, however they are very short and I have begun to hate the long, dark, icy winters. Any decent work from where we live is a 50-mile commute one-way into Anchorage. And we DO have crazy drivers up here who think they can do 70 on icy, snow covered, dark roads in the winter. Somehow they seem to end up in ditches lol.

I know what you mean about Cleveland and surrounding suburbs; really really bad. We are going to be driving down, ugh, about a 5-6 day ride depending on how much we drive per day. We plan on checking smaller towns out, such as Orrville, where there is access to work in Canton and Massillon. We don't want to give everything up here before being sure...tough decision. I do miss my family in Ohio and in Conn. It's a decision that just knaws at you on what to do. Here's hoping we both make the right decisions with the economy in such a shambles.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Cleveland and the suburbs are so run down. Seems everyone is moving out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I know what you mean about Cleveland and surrounding suburbs; really really bad.
I don't mean to harp on this, but the suburbs are not really run down. A few suburbs (like East Cleveland) are in bad shape, but the vast majority of Cleveland's suburbs are surviving, even thriving (Brecksville, since you mentioned it Kasey, is doing well). There are also a lot of different suburbs that offer different things. What are you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland