Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 09:38 PM

405 posts, read 1,214,334 times

Advertisements

And how much a year on gas? And maintenance on that used beater? And when you get in an accident what does that minimum coverage gain you?

Go to Chicago or Manhattan and tell me how horrible it is to live without a car. Yes, it's much tougher (but definitely not impossible) in Cleveland, but that's because we have destroyed the walkable communities.

And you'll be the first one complaining when gas hits $5/gallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 01:01 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
Another disadvantage for buying a car in Cleveland is ticketing for speeding / running red light / parking. There are so many hidden cameras spreading out across the whole city that new comer like you might have higher than 50% chance to get some ticket here and there.
Simple really, don't speed and don't run red lights. Is it really that difficult?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:46 PM

436 posts, read 874,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Simple really, don't speed and don't run red lights. Is it really that difficult?
Simple really, Do you have a wife? How about that?

I am pretty much kind of knowledgeable towards the spots for camera, and this really help on top of theoretically not speeding / running red light and no er at all in your whole life

Old 07-14-2009, 01:47 PM

30 posts, read 87,034 times
Hi everyone,

Again, thanks so much for all the help. Greatly appreciated it.

I have finally arrived in Cleveland, and I decided to settle in with the Crittenden Court Apartments. It isn't too bad -- room is a good size but the gym, for lack of a better term, sucks. Anyways, the next step is determining a bus route to work.

I know that several individuals have suggested that I take the Red (or Health) line, then transfer to the 28 Bus. For clarification, does the 28 bus take me right into Tungsten Road? And is this bus safe? Safer than taking the 1 bus all the way through to Tungsten Rd.?

Old 07-15-2009, 12:12 PM

17 posts, read 68,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
How can anyone live without a car is beyond me. Might as well move to Amish country. You need a car to grocery shop, transport toddlers, and the winter's here are ice cold.

My insurance a year with Geice is $150. Now thats what, less than a cell phone bill? I bought a used car for $5K.

Buy a car. I cringe when I look at those bus riders.
Wow, talk about elitist. I actually take the bus because being from a bigger city, public transportation was something I was used to. I now have a good job, live in a great apartment downtown but if I take the bus, that's cringe-worthy? What??? I do have a car but I choose not to use it because I'd rather save on things like Geico (which I think is impossible that you're paying $150 A YEAR for), gas, maintenance, parking, etc. Plus, I don't enjoy driving in the winters so I'm saved from that hassle.

I get along just fine with my grocery shopping, don't have any kids, and love the exercise I get walking around town. But hey, I guess I should move to Amish country...

To the OP, I think you'll get along fine with the bus. I travel to the east side and don't feel a bit worried (and I'm a woman). The RTA is relatively safe in my opinion. I say relatively because any mode of transport carries some risk of crime (i.e. getting carjacked or mugged on the subway for example- it happens, you just have to have your wits about you). Welcome to Cleveland.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:42 AM

30 posts, read 87,034 times
Has anyone taken the #1 bus before?

Old 07-16-2009, 07:52 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times
Here's the schedule for the #1:

Rt 1 Weekday Schedule Maps & Schedules | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

It comes pretty regularily and goes right down St. Clair.

I take the Euclid Ave bus all the time (runs parallel most of the way), but I've never taken the #1.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:55 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
Simple really, Do you have a wife? How about that?
Yea, I have a gorgeous wife that speeds a lot less then I do. What's that got to do with anything?!?!

/On topic... There is nowhere in this town I would be afraid of riding an RTA bus/train. I've ridden many at all hours.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:41 AM

436 posts, read 874,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, I have a gorgeous wife that speeds a lot less then I do. What's that got to do with anything?!?!

/On topic... There is nowhere in this town I would be afraid of riding an RTA bus/train. I've ridden many at all hours.
When I was talking about tickets, it is generous advice. Now you confess to me that you also speeding with or without law enforcement citation. This prove my points that a new comer to this city will have high chance to get ticket here or there. Agree?

I haven't been speeding for 5 years, of course in my insurance book. I don't know this would be a good or bad record since my car have 80,000miles during this period and through 3 different states.

Back to topic: If you drive to work in downtown cleveland, be alert to the digital traffic camera, and this won't be too easy if you try to rush to indians/browns/cavaliers game.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:57 PM

182 posts, read 272,981 times
get a place in Wickliffe and then a short bus ride on Euclid Ave then to Tungsten Road!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland