Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 03:50 PM

551 posts, read 1,875,159 times

Advertisements

The term "plantation" does have historical baggage personally I feel uncomfortable with it. Not all gated communities down here all called plantations, by the way. I have always wondered a bit why people would want to live in a gated community actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 05:35 PM

27 posts, read 73,880 times
It no more implies slavery than do estates or any other name. Usually its just intended to suggest a luxury area...........but hey, if it keeps a few yankees out hope they keep using it,lol.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:40 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
i agree, i think it was a marketing tool that conveyed the idea of "luxury rural living." I associate plantations with the white aristocracy.
Yeah, that's a more succinct way of putting it- luxury with a hint of aristocratic taste and class (though let's not under any circumstance mention what sustained that aristocracy!). Historic Charleston pretty much created the market for that approach, and they're still the best at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
OK.... so being a "Northerner" and part of that target market for the "Plantations".... let me see if I get this right..... apparently all of the developers of the hundreds and hundreds of "communities" down south all got together one day and decided that because the word plantation is associated with slavery ( by some ), it would be a good idea to name these communities plantations...... as I delve further into this theory, I realized that it was the "Southerners" that had the plantations and slaves and were prepared to fight to the death to keep that particular institution and it was the "Northerners" that were fighting against it...... I fail to see how the name "plantation", and the canotation you seem to feel it brings to mind, would attract that Northern demographic target audience..... just trying to get it straight.
That's a very simplistic and reductionist view. One would hope that isn't all they teach up north about the civil war. All I'm saying is to the southern ear calling a development X_Plantation is akin to setting up a neighborhood in suburban Tel Aviv and calling it Treblinka Acres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
The term "plantation" does have historical baggage personally I feel uncomfortable with it. Not all gated communities down here all called plantations, by the way. I have always wondered a bit why people would want to live in a gated community actually.
That's the weird part about it. It's a very recent thing, that AFAIK didn't hit NC until maybe four or five years ago. I remember seeing it in SC about 10 years ago and just attributing it to how they roll down there. Gated communities and planned subdivisions have been happening here for at least 20 years, probably longer. Why they felt that would be the best marketing hook, who knows.

Of course I say that but then Planters Bank was around for decades before changing to Centura, but that's an extra layer of abstraction.

Last edited by box_of_zip_disks; 01-02-2012 at 07:58 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 09:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Brunswick Plantation in Calabash is a little bit of both. A couple of Plantation homes converted to a gated golf resort and gated community and McMansions.

If you ever plan to stay up in North Myrtle Beach this is place to stay -- awesome rates even peak summer and mix of whites and blacks.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:35 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
OK.... so being a "Northerner" and part of that target market for the "Plantations".... let me see if I get this right..... apparently all of the developers of the hundreds and hundreds of "communities" down south all got together one day and decided that because the word plantation is associated with slavery ( by some ), it would be a good idea to name these communities plantations......
"Hundreds and hundreds" of communities do NOT use the "plantation" term, let alone the whole of NC, let alone the whole South. OP is misinformed as to how prevalent the term is used here. As others say, in some areas, generally near the coast, gated communities might be named "Plantations" (proper noun, as part of the name) but we do not refer to neighborhoods as "plantations" in general. And if there is any "historical reasoning" for using these names, it has nothing to do with slavery, but with the image of "estates" and a laid-back lifestyle. Nobody would possibly deliberately use a term with slavery connotations. Boy did you take that kernel of an idea and run the wrong way with it. It's clear that you wouldn't be happy in NC if this is the image you have of North Carolinians.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:36 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Of course I say that but then Planters Bank was around for decades before changing to Centura, but that's an extra layer of abstraction.
Planters Bank was named that not because of "Plantations", but because most of its customers were farmers.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:54 AM

805 posts, read 2,004,454 times
Dear Francois..... I have no more thoughts of "those" slavery cannotations than the man in the moon.... several others, as you have obviously read, have "suggested" that by innuendo.... I was simply illustrating the absurdity of their comments and suggestions. If I actually thought "their way", you are right, I would not have moved here.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:10 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Sheesh. Who knew a simple question would open such a can of worms.

I think I'm sorry I asked!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Planters Bank was named that not because of "Plantations", but because most of its customers were farmers.
It's a reference to the planter aristocracy of the old south. The term later became a catch-all for larger scale yeoman farmers by the late 1800s when Planters Corp. was established to service them. Which is to say in part yes you're correct it's not an overt "Hey former slave-owners use this bank!" thing, but the name was a holdover from an earlier period. Hence why I originally said there's an extra layer of abstraction to it.

Last edited by box_of_zip_disks; 01-04-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Dear Francois..... I have no more thoughts of "those" slavery cannotations than the man in the moon.... several others, as you have obviously read, have "suggested" that by innuendo.... I was simply illustrating the absurdity of their comments and suggestions. If I actually thought "their way", you are right, I would not have moved here.
It only seems absurd because like someone posted earlier, it's aimed at people not from the south who aren't already keenly aware what that term means in a historical context. Which is the whole point of using it as a marketing hook to an outside demographic. That's not a moral judgment against you or anyone else (well maybe the joker who first came up with the idea ) but merely pointing out the irony of using that specific term in real estate marketing.

If you're actually interested in learning about actual plantations, I highly recommend visiting Somerset Place in Creswell:

NC Historic Sites - Somerset Place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina